Ideas on how to tidy this up under an Ikeas desk

luke0380

Standard Member
Reaction score
Hello.

I hope this is in a suitable forum for this advice but wondered if anyone can advise me what can be used to tidy this small mess of cabling up under an Ikea desk. Is there a unite to buy that can hold everything, not even sure where to look.

Mainly consist of a CCTV box, a access point with excess cable. The AP comes is connected to a Virgin router downstairs. I will also connect a small 8 port switch too so i can plug CCTV box in as not connected to the network currently.

Thanks

IMG_2708.jpeg

Er, that isn't too bad as it happens. Any of the guys here can tell you they've seen way worse. I think you would do well with a bit of planning... on how your going to run the cables (against the leg maybe) placement of your devices - power, AP and CCTV box- and then just strap them in so lengths fall in line with your locations. Some spiral trunking (or similar cable manage) would probably be a good solution in this instance.

If you opt to strap things to the leg, then I would prefer to use "velcro" type ties rather that plastic "zip" ties. It's subsequently easier to unwrap them if you need to redo/move/dust/decorate. As well as spiral wrap cable management, I have also used ribbed flexible tubing (ducting) in the past - it looks a bit like a vacuum cleaner hose, but it's a bit more rigid and tends to hold it's shape once bent. You can find it DIY suppliers sometimes in various cross sections

If it's mostly an aesthetic concern, then I might make up a small wooden box or something to either mount under the desk or attach to a wall to hide all the wall warts, switch, etc. - but then I quite like woodworking so fabricating such things is not big deal to me. I would ensure there's some ventilation for the PSU's as they generate a bit of heat.

Last edited:
Since you have a desk there why not place the CCTV box on it and then use the leg for some of the cables. defo endorse the use velcro ties as mentioned by mickevh.

I would also go with the suggestion of a U shaped shelf under the desk approach and velcro ties.

I would also look to mount the UniFi properly somewhere too, though to be fair it will probably work fine where it is their radio transmission field is pretty good.

Any chance you can vertically mount the CCTV box and WAP on the wall next to the sockets. I assume the CCTV is a box you don't need to physically access very often.

If that’s the same desk I’ve got as a spare, you can get the netting which goes under it, this can hold a lot of cables and even a plug board.

I’m a fan of the neoprene zipped sleeves for cable routing.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom