1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Ideas on a new stand/cabinet?

Discussion in 'AV Stands, Cabinets, Seating & Furniture' started by Hallsy, Mar 22, 2005.

1. Hallsy

Hallsy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +14
    I'm having a little dilemma. I currently have an LG 28" widescreen TV with it's own stand, on this it has one shelf which I put my centre on, however the speaker doesn't fit between the legs and so the speaker is set back, creating a bit of a tuneel/boom effect.
    Underneath the shelf I have a old VCR and the freeview box, next to the TV is my PS2.
    Then I have a 4 tier glass rack with a Mrantz amp (not used often), Yam RX-V640 and DVD player.

The problem I have is I think it's all getting a little bitty, and also the way the centre is compromised annoys me. The mix of colours of the equipment doesn't look the best either!!

I used to think that it would be silly to get rid of my LG stand as it was meant for the TV, but now I can't help thinking that a low & wide cabinet with closed doors and an aperture for the centre would look better.
    I had considered another wider glass stand like the one in currys at the mo, but think a wooden one would suit the room better, maybe something dark.
    I have seen various units with nice frosted doors, etc by big name companies but can't afford to pay silly money.

In reality I suppose I wouldn't really want to pay more than £250.

Anyone got any ideas or recommendations? Or would I be better keeping it as it is?

2. Hallsy

Hallsy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +14
    Noone got any ideas then?

I am liking things like this, but without the feet, different colour (prob dark wodd veneer) and an aperture for centre speaker:

http://www.ikea.com/webapp/wcs/stor...uctId=14742&langId=-20&parentCats=10104*10174

Or the Oppli could be an option, but I don't like the castors, possibly a little light as we will be haivng a dark wood coffee table (walnut or dark oak) and have a cedar floor, and I would like doors, but then again it is cheap:
    http://www.ikea.com/webapp/wcs/stor...uctId=11149&langId=-20&parentCats=10104*10174

Or maybe something like the Memphis unit from Habitat, but again in wood rather than white, and would still need an aperture for centre.

Or would a CRT on one of these type of units look a little silly?? Is a CRT better suited to it's std stand, or a glass AV one such as the Alphason ones?

EDIT: After reading around it seems that an Oppli wouldn't be any good as the centre apertur eis 44cm and my centre is 46cm wide so wouldn't fit :(

Maybe I would be better going for something like the one on this thread
    http://www.avforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=182244

3. richjthorpe

richjthorpe

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    I've been very lucky to have access to my FIL's workshop. He's a furniture maker and has all of the kit to make cabinets. I spent some time with him working on stuff and have built an AV rack that conceals all of the kit in an American Walnut.

You can get veneered 8x4 foot MDF sheets for about £65 and if you have a bit of DIY or a friend who is a cabinet maker, you might be able to design and make your own for £250.

Just a thought.

Richie.

4. Hallsy

Hallsy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +14
    Well I am a keen DIYer and also have afriend who is a carpenter, and his brother is a joiner, but I'm not sure that this would be the easiest option for us.
    I can't see my other half deciding on a cabinet that she likes from some drawings of plans/dimensions, etc.
    Worth bearing in mind if I get really stuck, but would rather buy one than make one.
    Cheers.