Ideas for surround speakers - open plan - sofa in middle of room - wall mount speakers but now all

littletee

I have 4x Acoustic Energy AELITE 2 on wall speakers but no walls to put them on.
Sofas is is middle of lounge, next to large window.
Behind it is a curtain into the office.
I can't think of a way of getting surround and surround back speakers into this space.
The on wall speakers won't sit on speaker stands. They hang off screw hooks. They won't go on the ceiling,
I guess I will go with room dividing shelves behind the sofa and have them all in one line.
Then I don't get proper side speakers.
I could put side speakers on the outside of thin book or CD shelves, and then secure them to the ceiling, but that seems dangerous.
I just can't find a good place to put them.
looking for ideas about room dividers or other furniture
Open plan living has its problems...

littletee

I didn't mention it was rented!
Not sure hanging is good for audio anyway. I mean so much effort goes into keeping speaker cabinets rigid and still, can't think swinging is a good idea.
I can see a shelf unit behind, just not sure about side...

chaos123007

never thought of that tbh, was just an idea, i didnt think surrounds would move much, what about just making a shelf yourself with free standing, maybe just a rectangle frame with a support i the middle and paint it, fit at the back of your sofa and just have the surrounds sitting at each each ends angled towards the sofa

littletee

Yeah it is hard: I will trawl through the gallery threads (If only the one thread still existed, which was great for quick ideas) Going back to 90s style dodgy speaker stands. Proper speakers on proper stands would be more "studio" Just thought other people must have had a sofa in middle of room problem before. Anything that isn't a wall isa in danger of being knocked over so heavy bookshelves will work behind but not at the side. It is always hard to protect speakers without interrupting sound waves...

littletee

one day I will have a bit of time again and can do a drawing. windows all down right wall, kitchen amd dining table down left side and corridor into rest of flat so basically a thoroughfare of danger and ear level is right in harms way. I was bouncing sound from behind in a sort of dipole way but not as good sounding as in old flat where they were on the walls... MAybe scaffolding boards sevured to ceiling. NOt pretty adn will involve polyfilla when we move out but there is going to be a lot of that anyway...

chaos123007

i can tell you that my sofas against my wall and my surrounds are on stands, one at the side of my head nearly against the wall but angled towards me the other is at the other corner of the sofa, im a welder so i made the stands myself, no sure what other advice i could give you

password1

Distinguished Member
can't you make stands and attach the speakers using the screw hole..put two behind sofa and two on the sides

littletee

It's an option but that puts a speaker on a stand in the middle of the room which would get knocked too easily. I'm looking for ideas, other people's solutions. Shelves, pillars, gazebos, false walls, i might try ikea cd shelves as a test, with sort of tension into the ceiling. There is radiator under the window, and not enough space above it. Not much space on either side either, as dining table is next to sofa and access to office. Ceiling, but not in ceiling... Maybe i should switch speakers! Or one long wall of Billys.

password1

Distinguished Member
youd make the feet so the sofa is on top.. the weight of rhe sofa will hold the stands down. or make a frame and sit tge dofa on top

littletee

Sofa has to be able to move. Interesting idea though. The whole concept of side speakers is problematic in a normal home. Even the idea that back speakers can be far behind the listening position is just not practical for most homes. In my case a curtain that divides the room blocks out sound if speakers were behind it.

The latest video from AVForums

Are the TCL MiniLED TVs better than OLED? TCL Interview with Marek Maciejewski | AVForums Podcast
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Full fat HDMI teeshirts

Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom