Quantcast

Ideas for mounting fixed screen over chimney breast

chrisbriton

I’m moving into a property that’s not very projector friendly.
Will be doing some decorating work and removing the lovely fire surround. In the middle of this wall is our only option to mount a fixed screen . Wanting at least 100” ideally so it will overhang the raised area of the wall a fair bit and thinking it might look terrible. Has anyone done anything similar?
I thought of possibly building a timber frame for the areas or screen that would be floating in mid air a few inches off the wall ?
Thanks

Attachments

akk0091

Why not use an electric retractable screen? That way you could even keep your lovely fire surround and it’ look a lot tidier
What you’re planning will leave two sides of the pj sticking out with a void empty space behind them. Just doesn’t sound right

Thatsnotmynaim

Looks like the fireplace is blocked up anyway. If so and you don’t need / want it, I’d be inclined to rip out the surround and plinth / hearth and make it good / flat to start afresh, you may even be able to use the opening to fashion something to house your centre speaker, maybe something similar with the voids left and right depending on your speakers.
An electric screen a few inches in front is another option, but if you’re comparing fixed and electric of equal quality a fixed is usually significantly cheaper.

razy60

I have something similar, although a slightly deeper chimney and did this.

Attachments

chrisbriton

Thanks for the comments . I’m not a fan of the fire surround so will be removed and made back into a plain white wall. The screen going to be used with a UST projector for mostly daytime watching. I’m on a budget so was thinking about XYscreens 100” fixed screen with their PET crystal UST fabric. Been quoted $800 delivered from the manufacturer. It has a thin aluminium frame that looks a lot like a normal tv screen when not in use.
would welcome any electric screen suggestions but as the screen will be mostly out during the day, a tidy looking fixed option would be ideal.

im wondering (after the fireplace has gone) if it would still look botched with a timber frame, sanded painted the same colour as the wall to place behind the overhanging part of the screen? So it almost looks like the wall is coming out to meet the screen rather than having the gap (About 4”)

most of the garage has been made into another living space with Access from the living room. Its a brilliant space for a dedicated cinema room with no natural light but my dear wife is insists we keep it as spare room for the in-laws when they visit... FML

Attachments

chrisbriton

A couple of other possible options. . Led lighting strip at each end of the screen to fill the dark space of the overhang or get some timber, plasterboard, and make the chimney breast wide enough to accommodate the screen

Gazgum

Another simple idea inspired by cinema history would be to hang fabric in the reccesses,dark grey or black? Very much dependent on your and the Memsaab’s tastes of course. If you add curtains to the window they would need to be the same.
Would also help the room acoustics.
That said,I think you need more than 4” to get a good fold! (Why am I now thinking of a schoolboy joke?:D)

Last edited:

razy60

Assuming your only having the screen and ust and your planing on covering the fireplace it would be just as easy to build a frame and plaster board the relevant area to the size of the screen, sort of a mini false wall.

chrisbriton

The curtain idea sounds interesting but like you say 4” isn’t a lot to play with.
if it involves timber and plasterboard will probably extend the whole chimney breast and cover the lot in some sort of sculpted or stone wall tiles and make a feature of it. No filling and plastering sounds good to me

Gazgum

I’m not sure I would permanently fill those reccesses,particularly if you’re likely to sell at some point:You’d reduce the perceived size of the room,and leave less space for window curtains should someone want to hang them.
You’ve done well getting the Memsaab to agree to a fixed screen in what I assume is your living room!

Emilz

Had similiar situation,
IMG_20181118_210055.jpg

And as its rented house, permanently fillling wasnt an option, but around £200 worth of triple velvet and timber later, and without single screw or hole drilled into walls or ceiling i got here
IMG_20190928_204758.jpg
May not be perfect, but hides recesses on sides, deals with some reflections from white walls and ceiling, and also hides BK mono+ in left corner and hifi rack in right, pretty happy for now. Although if room is mainly used as living room not movie room, may not be that good of an idea

Edit: Only now went through the thread fully, looks like your situation is quite different from mine, so all this is quite irrevelant:thumbsdow

Last edited:

chrisbriton

Just a quick update. Ended up extending the chimney brest. Was a PITA but happy with the end result and think it was worth the effort.
Thanks for the input

Attachments

Last edited:
Top Bottom