• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

Ideas for hiding cable around door frame

stevos

Distinguished Member
Hi,

I am looking for ideas to hide the speaker cable for my rear speakers.

Running them along the skirting board with something like

D-Line Semi Circular Trunking White 6 x 40 x 20mm 2m Pack of 6 | Screwfix.com

Should work for along the walls, but i need to get them past the door frame. It would look a bit naff running 2 QED silver ann cables around the edge of the door.

Any suggestions?

stevos

Distinguished Member
Being a complete and utter DIY idiot, is that difficult to do?

I am guessing it must be glued or nailed on.

Can they be removed and refitted without having to repaint?

John

Do you have Coving ? Run the cable up the wall and then through the Coving . I did it recently when I added a Centre rear . Picked up one of these, only 2 holes requires

stevos

Distinguished Member
No coving.

I am guessing (famous last words) that coving is pretty easy to add.

Could be a good way to handle it.

wilbanat

Distinguished Member
Being a complete and utter DIY idiot, is that difficult to do?

I am guessing it must be glued or nailed on.

Can they be removed and refitted without having to repaint?

Should be nailed but could be glued, Prise off gently with a chisel maybe run a sharp blade along the joint to stop the paint flaking. You will need to repaint and may need a touch of filler. really not a massive job you could do it in few hours.
My Idea would be to use 16mm square trunking as that is about the same thickness as door architrave and with a little filler would blend away very nicely.
Any DIY store sells it...

Trollslayer

Distinguished Member
If you have carpet there is usually a gap by the gripper underneath, might save going around the door.

scatterbug

If you have carpet there is usually a gap by the gripper underneath, might save going around the door.

Yes, if you have a thick carpet you can sometimes squeeze cable under the threshold. I do this with my sub cable (which is, admittedly, QED micro and therefore a small diameter).

stevos

Distinguished Member
Do you need a special tool to put the carpet back down onto the grips after lifting it?

stevos

Distinguished Member
I guess an option is to buy some flat cables for my rears and run under the carpet.

larkone

Distinguished Member
If you are going down the flat cable route you get a better result if you can get it under the underlay and the the gripper rod (or cut a small piece of gripper out). You don't want the gripper to pierce your cable.

Peter Parker

Distinguished Member
I usually run my cables between the gripper rod and the underlay. Sometimes you have to cut 10mm off the underlay to leave a gap for the cable (you can also clip them to the floor if you want), and as people usually don't walk that close to the wall to step on the gripper rod, you're unlikely to walk on the cables either.

I usually use a big bolster chisel to put the carpet back afterwards and it looks as it's never been up afterwards. I've done the same thing at door thresholds too so you don't have to run the cables around the door frame.

Gary

stevos

Distinguished Member
Hmm sounds easy enough, but guess we will see.

Just need to patiently wait for the house to complete first :(

akarit1

I'm having my speaker and hdmi cable in a 30x15 DLine white trunking and have also got the same problem as you but I have decided to take the cable around the door in the trunking and to use the flat corner pieces that DLine do as well to give it a professional look for the corners around the door frame and at the bottom. Seeing as the trunking will be sitting on top of the skirting board and on the sides of the door frame, it will look as though its part of the frame/skirting seeing as they will be the same white in colour. you may want to consider this as well. I found the best site to purchase from was TLC Direct who were also the cheapest.;)

stevos

Distinguished Member
That seems to be the simplist option.

Just a shame that B&Q don't seem to stock the corner parts, would have made measuring up / delivery easier.

akarit1

That seems to be the simplist option.

Just a shame that B&Q don't seem to stock the corner parts, would have made measuring up / delivery easier.

TLC Direct have all the parts you need and you can purchase them individually so you only need purchase what you need as opposed to having to buy the accessories pack at B&Q. They are also the cheapest.:cool:

PerfectBlue97

No coving.

I am guessing (famous last words) that coving is pretty easy to add.

Could be a good way to handle it.

It's easy to add badly.

If you get it crooked, or you have obvious joins between the different lengths, then it can look awful.

PerfectBlue97

If it's just for your rear speakers, I you could think about making them wireless, If you've got a power supply close by, and the budget.

nonumb

akarit1 said:
TLC Direct have all the parts you need and you can purchase them individually so you only need purchase what you need as opposed to having to buy the accessories pack at B&Q. They are also the cheapest.:cool:

+1 on tlc direct very good company imo. Went to order a towel rail from them in store. They said they didn't have any in stock but the Plymouth store did and they can order it in. I asked how long would it take and they got it the same day.

Alty08

Mine are run under the floor, do you have access to a crawl space?

Joe Fernand

Distinguished Member
AVForums Sponsor
'Being a complete and utter DIY idiot' - time to call in the Pro's!

You skipped the suggestion about having the cables installed during the build phase!

Joe

stevos

Distinguished Member
The property is new for me but not a new build.

Rather not call in the pro's, moving home is already pricey enough without spending extras.

parman

Do you have Coving ? Run the cable up the wall and then through the Coving . I did it recently when I added a Centre rear . Picked up one of these, only 2 holes requires

Just ordered this to give it a try myself, got 10m HDMI to feed round coving , hopefully not going to be any hassle, got 2 corners to pass

The latest video from AVForums

Hisense U7H TV and T+A Solitaire T headphone reviews, AV/HiFi news plus, what is screen uniformity?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Full fat HDMI teeshirts

Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom