• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

Ideas for first receiver

JimBob1971

Prominent Member
Hi,

I was considering buying the Pioneer LX01 system as it is going cheap right now. However, I also decided to look at seperates.

Can anyone suggest a shortlist of amps up to approx ~£600. Right now I'm considering:-

Pioneer VSX-1018AH-K
Pioneer LX-51
Yamaha 863

My main concern is audio quality (dts, true HD, MA). Ideally it would have excellent video quality too (upscaling and passthrough). I don't have a set of 5.1 speakers, though might go for the likes of the Kef 3005se series.

Thanks!

BigAardvaark

Established Member
The 1018 doesn't upscale, only upconverts. The LX51 does though.

JimBob1971

Prominent Member
Anyone have any suggestions, including pros and cons? Obviously I'd love to be able to afford an LX81 or yamaha 3900, but it isn't going to happen.

Ideally I'd like an amp that could suit something like the 3005se speaker package, but could be used with better speakers in the future. Haven't seen any comparisons between the Lx51 and 863. Anyone able to oblige?

Last edited:

JimBob1971

Prominent Member
No-one?

I've done a bunch of reading and found a slew of good amps below £500 - Sony 2400es, Yamaha863 etc.

However, the Onkyo 906 (?) is available for about £800. Over my budget, but I could stretch. Suggestions? (Other than go and listen, which I'll do! :) )

Longy00000

Prominent Member
Jimbob i cannot comment on the latest amps (mine is nearly 2 years old).
The KEF speakers you mention are very very good for their size. I have heard bigger and more expensive speakers not perform as well as the Kef eggs can. A good investment.

Remember to check the amps you look at can also pass through 1080/24 .
A number can decode the DTS HDMA now etc but some still lose the 24fps functionality when its then output to the monitor via HDMI ( I assume you are looking at bluray). This means you can inadvertently introduce some motion judder.

Good luck.

The latest video from AVForums

Spielberg, Shyamalan, Aronofsky, Chazelle, Eddie Murphy and Mel Gibson - all the latest movies
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom