Ideas for distribution signals

nigel9097

Novice Member
Reaction score
Hi,

Can anybody make any suggestions for an issue I have when trying to distribute a signal to various rooms.

Basically I have a BT Vision+ youview box. Currently I have the digital signal fed from the aerial directly to the box. As the box (Humax) has no rf out I have a scart lead to an rf modulator coming out of the box to convert the signal to an rf output. This then goes to the loft to a distribution box which then feeds a tv in the bedroom. Basically it was done this way to watch recorded problems upstairs, but this has led to only being able to watch what is on the tv downstairs, upstairs.

What I thought about doing is feeding the signal directly from the aerial to a distribution box in the loft and then out to the tv's throughout the house. That way each tv can tune in to the signal and operate freeview independently. My dilema is how do I get the signal back up to the loft so we can watch the recorded programmes, from downstairs on the upstairs tv.

Is there such a distribution box that will accept a signal from the aerial and a signal from the PVR downstairs, two rf inputs, without causing any problems with the distributed signal.

Any help appreciated.

Nigel

All you have to do is use a splitter to connect your existing aerial both to the TV and the modulator input socket. That way the modulator output will have all your existing Freeview digital channels plus the analogue channel from the modulator. You may have to adjust the modulator output channel if it clashes with a uhf carrier used by your local transmitter. The rf input socket on the modulator simply passes any input to the output.

I disagree (slightly).
The Humax box should have an RF in and an RF out connection (RF pass-through in standby / energy-power-saving mode of the box may well need altering to do this all the time).
[I'm pretty sure the RF out is in the You View spec to allow a connected TV to get a signal without the need of additional aerial splitters].

{Of course the box doesn't have an analogue RF modulator built in, and may be where the OP is confused?.}

IF you don't use the TV tuner downstairs then connection of RF out to the modulator in and modulator out to the upstairs amplifier would be the way.

If you do use the TV downstairs' own tuner then a splitter will be required but beware that this will lose 4dB (just over half the signal input) and may give reception issues if the current aerial signal is too close to the digital cliff. [Then it would be worth trying the split after the RF out rather than before the RF in (before is better if it works).]

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom