1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Ideas for boosting rear surround?

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by woodrangle, Aug 2, 2005.

1. woodrangle

woodrangle
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I am having difficulty in getting any sort of loudness from my rear speakers. When movies are being played I feel the rear surround is hugely dwarfed by the more powerful front speakers. Even if I put my ear to the rear speakers there is often little coming out of them.

My system is as follows: Pioneer VSX-D912 Amp, Pioneer 565A dvd player, Mordaunt Short 502 fronts, Mordaunt Short 504 centre, and Mordaunt Short 506 surrounds.

I have tried adjusting the amplifier both manually and with the automatic balance setup to no avail. I was thinking about removing the 506 back speakers and replacing them with another pair of 502's. Do you think this will give me any real performance benefits?

Thanks in advance

2. jasper_mccrea

jasper_mccrea

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +20
    If there's nothing coming out of them, there's nothing going into them, and replacing them with bigger speakers won't make a difference. Try it with a film where you know there's some separated rear sound, like the scene in X-men where huge jackass is wandering around the mansion, or something like that. If the volume is still way down, then you have a problem. If it's normal, then it's the material that you're listening to that doesn't have rear sound.

3. BDCSTENG GARETH

BDCSTENG GARETH

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    Or even the THX test sound at the start of the X men DVD... sound starts at the rear and then travels forward... crank it up and se wether it just fades from silent to loud at the front...

Gareth.

4. kdp99

kdp99

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +20
    Is it the normal rear speakers (rear left and right), or the centre rear spaekers (center surround) that are giving nothing, if its the latter make sure they are activated, some systems by default turn off the centre rear surround speakers unless you tell it other wise. My system is a Denon so cannot tell you exactly where to look.

Keith

5. woodrangle

woodrangle
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I've been thinking about what you guys said and tried a few things.

I spent a while flicking through all the options of the amp and dvd player. As far as i can tell everything is set up perfectly. I then shoved in films with the dolby digital scene and the thx test thing. I put my ear next to a rear speaker and cranked it up. There is definitely sound coming out but is extremely weak in comparison. The sheer noise from the front makes any rear sound almost inaudible.

I then had another idea of swapping a front speaker and a rear speaker. This took a while as it has sub connections in the main speaker but this test proved useful. The sound coming from this new rear speaker was transformed. The audio felt much more balanced between front and rear with gunshot fire and ricochet now cleary audible.

Interestingly, the sound from the new smaller front speaker was noticably quieter than the other front. Now to a degree this is logical as there is a big difference in size and power. What didnt make sense is that the amplifier did not take into account the smaller rear speakers and whack up the volume to compensate for the large fronts despite adjusting the settings.

So, it seems to me as though investing in another couple of 502's for the rear might be worthwhile.

Interested if you think this is still wise given that test.

6. jasper_mccrea

jasper_mccrea

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +20
    I don't know. It just sounds to me like the rear speakers are broken in some way.

If you swap the front and rear after auto-setup, is the volume from the rears really super loud. Actually, don't try this.

if you do the auto setup with the front speaker in the rear position, you say you can hear the rears. But if you auto-setup with the rears in the rear, they're quiet?

I'd say they were broken, or the amp isn't powerful enough to drive them for some reason. If you have the rears on as the front speakers, can you turn the volume up loud? And they go loud?

7. woodrangle

woodrangle
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Yeah, I see what you are saying but I don't think they are broken. For a start it has always been like this since I got them. If the smaller speakers are put on the front then they are louder than if they were put at the back. Now I don't know how accurate that test could be considering front sounds come out louder than at the back.

I also don't think its an issue with amplifier power. This is because with one large at the front and one large at the rear, there is still enough power to make the rear one much louder than it would be if there was a smaller speaker in its place.

I'm quite confused about the whole thing but I think it must be something to do with the different sizes of speaker. Maybe the amplifier has been designed with the aim of using all 5 speakers of exact same size and power. Having said this the centre speaker has always been perfectly loud in balance to the 2 front speakers.

8. Dfour

Dfour

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +85
    Beg, buy or borrow a sound level meter and use the in built/thx test tones to set it up and see if that makes any difference.

Have you tried it using 5 channel stereo?

9. Ed Selley

Ed Selley
    AVF Reviewer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,146
    You need more power to get the 506's singing- my AX3 wasn't really up to the job. They are fairly insensitive and need more shove so I'd actually look toward an amp upgrade- you could gain some useful features to boot.