Ideas for a 5.3.4 speaker setup

wilwong1971

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi

I plan to have a dedicated room measuring 14ft x 7.5ft, with low ceiling of approx 6.8ft

Plan at the mo is 2 rows of 2 seats (floor chair front and a small 2 seater sofa back) MLP optimised for front row

a baffle wall for LCR … due to throw distance they will need to be in wall since baffle wall will be very shallow

in ceiling atmos also due to room height

i was looking at KEF in wall CI series

i already have 2 x SVS SB2000, and a mission QX 12sub coming

any other recommendations? I have budget of around £3000 for speakers cheers!

As you haven't indicated what type of Atmos setup you are looking for, will this be a 5.3.4 or some other configuration? This way, it will ensure everyone can assist in the right direction (just noticed in the title :facepalm: :laugh:)

The rear speakers, will these be on wall on in-wall?

What amplifier will you be using to drive these speakers to?

Other things to think about are screen types? Are you using a large TV or is the cinema going to be a projection system and if so, are you going to be using a transparent screen in order to locate the speakers in the correct orientation. If not, then this will mean the speakers will have to be fitted around it in order to enjoy the sound without muffling. With the HDMI, I would suggest not fixing this in place as these can fail or require replacing and if you make it so you can use the cable as a drawstring, then if something did happen, all you would need to do is attach the new cable to the old one and pull the cable through to replace it

Last edited:
Thanks Shane !

I’m planning (although this is first fully fledged dedicated room, so I’m not sure it’s all correct):

4 in ceiling atmos (I read the Kef is less directional so not too bad for in ceilings, not sure if I can get some custom boxes to mount and recess them in the ceiling at a slight angle?)

i was thinking all in walls to match, so in walls as the side surrounds ? (X2)

reciever wise I’m not sure although Denon X4700H looks quite nice ?

screen hopefully a 100 inch AT, projector will be the JVC N5

good advise about the draw wire, was thinking of fitting a plastic conduit in the ceiling that will lead to the other section of the garage (away from the screen room) to an AV cab

any other tips appreciated!

With the in-ceiling, so long as you place them somewhere close to Dolby's recommendations, the AV Receiver will sort this side out for you

As for the type of speakers, as it isn't as important to match Atmos speakers compared to the front three, the only advice I would give is to look at the largest ones available to you. These will usually be 8" size wise

The front three, Use LCR an orientate them all the same way so the sound is balanced across the front three and as you are looking to use a JVC, ensure you take note of which HDMI cable others are using for the distance you are looking to run yours. If you get it wrong, it will cost a small fortune

For the AV Receiver. I would say, try and jump to the X6700H as a minimum as it has a few extra bits which should be more important to you like (Mono Block Power Amp Construction) plus alpha processing if required

It's a big jump in price, but it will be worth it sonically as sound makes up just as much of the experience of what the projector does

As the JVC has memory zoom, maybe also think about a 2.35:1 screen option. It's easier to taking in a wider screen which is about 33% larger than a similar sized screen in a 16/9 format. So, when working out the throw for a 1.78:1 screen, if you use the memory zoom with the JVC, this would require you to place the projector between these measurements 4.10m to 6.50m whilst enabling you to use a screen which is 125" diagonal 49" height and 115" wide. This would also maintain the 100" diagonal aspect

If you look at a like the Grandview Cyber which is a couple of inches wider than the guided throw I'm mentioned above, then it will be somewhere close to those measurement, but will need recalculating if close. These screens are not the cheapest fixed screen, but if you are using this option, then ensuring the fabric on both the screen and surround does it job correctly will really assist with any light leakage. The other thing to note when using this option, be careful with reflective objects close to the screen as the JVC doesn't change its aspect ratio, it only fills the screen size using its memory zoom

Now I'm going to push your budget on the front three speakers as they will be the most important and once they're in by suggesting either the Dali Phantom M-250 or the Focal 300 IWLCR6 in walls for the LCR's

With the rear's, are they wall or in-wall?

With the in-ceiling, so long as you place them somewhere close to Dolby's recommendations, the AV Receiver will sort this side out for you

As for the type of speakers, as it isn't as important to match Atmos speakers compared to the front three, the only advice I would give is to look at the largest ones available to you. These will usually be 8" size wise

The front three, Use LCR an orientate them all the same way so the sound is balanced across the front three and as you are looking to use a JVC, ensure you take note of which HDMI cable others are using for the distance you are looking to run yours. If you get it wrong, it will cost a small fortune

For the AV Receiver. I would say, try and jump to the X6700H as a minimum as it has a few extra bits which should be more important to you like (Mono Block Power Amp Construction) plus alpha processing if required

It's a big jump in price, but it will be worth it sonically as sound makes up just as much of the experience of what the projector does

As the JVC has memory zoom, maybe also think about a 2.35:1 screen option. It's easier to taking in a wider screen which is about 33% larger than a similar sized screen in a 16/9 format. So, when working out the throw for a 1.78:1 screen, if you use the memory zoom with the JVC, this would require you to place the projector between these measurements 4.10m to 6.50m whilst enabling you to use a screen which is 125" diagonal 49" height and 115" wide. This would also maintain the 100" diagonal aspect

If you look at a like the Grandview Cyber which is a couple of inches wider than the guided throw I'm mentioned above, then it will be somewhere close to those measurement, but will need recalculating if close. These screens are not the cheapest fixed screen, but if you are using this option, then ensuring the fabric on both the screen and surround does it job correctly will really assist with any light leakage. The other thing to note when using this option, be careful with reflective objects close to the screen as the JVC doesn't change its aspect ratio, it only fills the screen size using its memory zoom

Now I'm going to push your budget on the front three speakers as they will be the most important and once they're in by suggesting either the Dali Phantom M-250 or the Focal 300 IWLCR6 in walls for the LCR's

With the rear's, are they wall or in-wall?

Thanks for the detailed reply!

I will take a look at the X6700H, financing it is an option for a bigger purchase …

with the screen (I’m at the very limit width wise 7.5 ft width of my room) I was thinking of 4 way variable manual masking… but making each format at its best within the 100 inches of screen space , always bugs me when 1.85 is bigger than Scope!

40D457BA-352C-40A1-93F9-9B8D6106BAAD.jpeg

So Scope will always be widest vs 16:9 , 16:9 won’t be too short changed with height and IMAX will take full area of 100 inch screen, bit of fiddling with mask panels so will have to make some test ones come the time and try it out👍

Screen wall and the whole room will be black flock, much to dismay of my wife 😂

Speaker wise I don’t mind on wall for the back .. but if I spend the budget on LCR should I make sure all the other speakers are the same brand ?

Last edited:
Hi

I plan to have a dedicated room measuring 14ft x 7.5ft, with low ceiling of approx 6.8ft

Plan at the mo is 2 rows of 2 seats (floor chair front and a small 2 seater sofa back) MLP optimised for front row

a baffle wall for LCR … due to throw distance they will need to be in wall since baffle wall will be very shallow

in ceiling atmos also due to room height

i was looking at KEF in wall CI series

i already have 2 x SVS SB2000, and a mission QX 12sub coming

any other recommendations? I have budget of around £3000 for speakers cheers!

Hey bud. Why you have the Mission subwoofer coming? If you paid for it, return it. It`s overpriced and mixing sealed and ported subs without some higher expertise and specific tools is not recommended! If you need third sub to smoothen the response and/or more headroom then third used SB2000 would still be ideal. Month ago someone was selling duals here. You would pay roughly same price for it than the Mission sub and it`s better!

I got it for £110, impulse purchase … if its no good I’ll draft it to the living room 👍

i bought the dual SBS off classified .. do you think a DSP will integrate the mission sub better ?

I got it for £110, impulse purchase … if its no good I’ll draft it to the living room 👍

i bought the dual SBS off classified .. do you think a DSP will integrate the mission sub better ?

I believe you need miniDSP 2x4HD, Umik-1 (accurate usb mic) and free REW pc program with computer pc/mac. Then you also need some knowledge what to do. :) You got the Mission very cheaply, i would move it straight to living room.

Hey bud. Why you have the Mission subwoofer coming? If you paid for it, return it. It`s overpriced and mixing sealed and ported subs without some higher expertise and specific tools is not recommended! If you need third sub to smoothen the response and/or more headroom then third used SB2000 would still be ideal. Month ago someone was selling duals here. You would pay roughly same price for it than the Mission sub and it`s better!

I believe you need miniDSP 2x4HD, Umik-1 (accurate usb mic) and free REW pc program with computer pc/mac. Then you also need some knowledge what to do. :) You got the Mission very cheaply, i would move it straight to living room.
Sweet, I think 2 sb2000 would be more than enough in my small cinema room for now, going to concentrate on LCR next 😊

Sweet, I think 2 sb2000 would be more than enough in my small cinema room for now, going to concentrate on LCR next 😊

Yes the dual SB2000s should be quite nice in such small room! I would play little bit with the placement. You can already have a look how the response would look like if you download Room EQ Wizard program and use the room simulation feature adding your room dimensions and where you sit exactly, then you can move the sub freely in that space and add more of them to see how the response changes.. If you were considering throwing them in each front corners you could have a play with one sub at front wall and second at rear but diagonally opposite corners or 1/4 width etc. what ever works for you. Maybe also middle of front/rear walls. If you don´t have odd shapes or openings the room simulation could give you some intresting information about which way to go before you do the wiring.

Yes the dual SB2000s should be quite nice in such small room! I would play little bit with the placement. You can already have a look how the response would look like if you download Room EQ Wizard program and use the room simulation feature adding your room dimensions and where you sit exactly, then you can move the sub freely in that space and add more of them to see how the response changes.. If you were considering throwing them in each front corners you could have a play with one sub at front wall and second at rear but diagonally opposite corners or 1/4 width etc. what ever works for you. Maybe also middle of front/rear walls. If you don´t have odd shapes or openings the room simulation could give you some intresting information about which way to go before you do the wiring.
Cheers mate ! Will give that a try !

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom