Ideas for a 15x10ft garden shed

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Building DIY' started by frog61, Aug 26, 2018.

Tags:
  1. frog61

frog61

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +66
    Hello all
    At long last, I am getting a largeish garden shed, 23x10ft split between a garden tool storage (8x10) and a main shed (15x10). The main shed will be multi-purpose for my wife and her reflexology business and me with my home cinema.
    Being built next friday, so starting a shopping list of things for a home cinema, albeit needing to sufficiently hidden or out of the way due to wifes business.
    Ideally looking at a 4k projector with a motorised screen, along with atmos speakers if I can get these. I have a 4kplayer and nvidia shield already so plan to use these with it, everything else I still need to get.
    Ideally 3k budget maybe can go up to 4k.

Any thoughts? or ideas?

2. binkobonko

binkobonko

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +99
    Just to get the ball rolling - and I am no expert here - but for what you want, I would say the classifieds are your friend.

But others more knowledgeable may disagree.

3. frog61

frog61

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +66
    Thanks!
    Any advise tho on what projector? what motorised screen?
    Any thoughts on sound proofing?
    thanks

4. Cherrywood

Cherrywood

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +296
    Doe the 3K-4K budget include sound proofing? If so it is unlikely to go far.

To get a 4K Projector along with all the kit you require, again you budget is going to be stretched - as Binkobonko stated Classifieds would be good starting point.

Personally i would focus on getting the room right, sound proofing, cabling etc. Have you created a plan?

I would plan for maximum speaker layout, power points etc. serveral subwoofer locations and anything for you wifes work.

Once you have the room then you can slowly add kit - maybe look at getting a 1080P PJ to get room up and running and then you have excuse to upgrade going forward :)

5. binkobonko

binkobonko

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +99
    What are you like with DIY?

6. frog61

frog61

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +66

Thanks Cherrywood.
    Soundproofing wise, I have been looking at https://www.amazon.co.uk/Advanced-A...&qid=1535469743&sr=8-3&keywords=soundproofing. probably needed ontop of the budget I have stated.
    Not created a plan as yet, shed being built this friday.
    Regarding equipment, so far I thinking I need, projector, cables, and some kind of sound system. All the source equipement I have already. Lights will be an added expenditure as thinking philips hue lights in a few places, along with a possible starfield effect.

Yeah 1080p projector seems to be what I am leaning to, however I have seen a couple of the Optoma UHD65s on classifields for £1600-1800ish which seems a good deal and ticks the 4k box.

@binkobonko, not amazing at DIY but happy to give it a go!

Perhaps I should report back with a plan layout and get your thoughts on that.

7. Harkon321

Harkon321

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +344
    I’d read up on soundproofing.com and learn the basics on there before spending cash.

8. binkobonko

binkobonko

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +99
    You could go 4K.

My personal view? If it’s discs you’d mainly be watching, bear in mind the go-to price of a 4K film is around £25, from what I’ve seen. If you watch a lot of Sky in 4K that might not be so relevant, however.

For my home cinema, I plan to look for a used JVC HD950. One of the best 1080p pj’s made, and £3k+ when launched. Available for around £700 now.

4K, for me, can wait.

9. frog61

frog61

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +66
    Thanks Binkonko
    Not relaly using discs these days, mainly watching things from my server, I have a few dozen 4k films already, get from ebay. Will read up on the JVC.
    What did you do for a screen? Was looking at motorised ones, though seemingly so many types and price ranges. Are you having wall speakers isntalled, atmos ones? Like the idea of atmos tho maybe too much with my budget.

10. binkobonko

binkobonko

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +99
    Last time I had my gear set up, my flat had a nice, wide chimney breast. I skimmed it over with fine filler, sanded it smooth then used Black Widow diy screen paint.

Worked a treat. It also looked like a regular feature wall when not in use.

What I’d like to do this time, is buy some screen material from Seymour AV (I think it is) and build my own frame for it, and hang it on a French cleat. Cheap solution. See Seymour AV | Center Stage screens

I would like to go Atmos. I will certainly lay cable for it. I’ve seen a few suitable Atmos ceiling speakers for around £100 or so each. It does mean buying a new receiver, though, so might be something I’d put off for a bit.