1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Ideal VOIP combination

Discussion in 'General Tech & Gadget Forums' started by thebyp, Aug 12, 2005.

1. thebyp

thebyp
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hello all.

I am quite new to this VOIP lark, which is in itself a wee bit depressing as i used to be a firm early adopter! However, the advent of a good lady and Ikea landing not to far away seem to have put pay to that!! :p

Anywho, i digress.

Since i want to get this VOIP thing 'family member' friendly i was wondering if the following configuration was possible, or at least something close.

What i would like is a little box which i could plug directly into my router (via ethernet), which is in turn perminantly connected to the internet, which would act as a bridge between my regular PSTN phone and the VOIP connection.

Now i have seen these around (Vonage seems to give them out for free), but what they don't seem to be able to do is to allow you to have a box which connects to the ethernet connection, and to the regular BT socket.

SO in effect what you would have would be a box which would allow you to make calls on the regular BT system when you wanted, or use the VOIP as appropriate, perhaps by pressing the star key or the like.

I have come across USB boxes that seem to do this (with varrying success) but nothing that can directly plug into the ethernet connection.

any views or suggestions?

Thanks all.

2. dejongj

dejongj
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,481
    Never even thought of that....I use my Asterisk PBX (telephone switch) server to do exactly that with some additional intelligence.......So the Asterisk PBX is switching between the Internet and BT line, fully automatic and based around the principles of least cost routing...Granted it is not easy to set-up and I keep on tweaking, but it is fully transparant to the users; i.e. my wife doesn't even realise it is there....But Asterisk is not just a little box that you plug inbetween it needs a lot of configuration....

So in short, no I haven't come across it....

3. AOD

AOD

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    There are existing bits of kit that can do this.

They offer several huge benefits:

1. You can connect your existing phone to it, rather than having multiple phones. Especially handy when you have a cordless setup. Connect your base station to the box and away you go. All your calls, regardless of their type or origin placed and received using the same phone.

2. You can choose what types of outbound calls go over what connection type. EG I may want my calls to family in South America to go VOIP, but I may prefer my UK landline calls to go via call18866 with CPS (carrier pre select). Some you can setup with a dialling plan to automate this for you. EG If it detects that you're calling a certain country code, use a particular method to place the call.

3. In the event that your BB connection goes bang, your calls can automatically "failover" to the plain old fashioned PSTN. So if your ISP is having a bad day, you can still make ordinary outgoing (albeit possibly more expensive) calls without having to rewire your phones.

An example of a box that offers this is the Sipura 3000.

With this you just connect it to a port on your router (via Ethernet) and away you go.

4. thebyp

thebyp
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    thanks for the replys folks.

So with the sipura 3000, i can have one connection running to my BT socket and one connection to my router?

Does anybody here have one, i'd be pleased to hear any feedback.

5. Dr Diversity

Dr Diversity

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    VoIP looks good but you can end up spending more money on hardware than you are likely to save in a reasonalble time. I am still looking for a cordless VoIP handset then I will join the revolution

6. dejongj

dejongj
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,481
    There are loads of cordless sets available right now, anything in particular you are looking for?

7. thebyp

thebyp
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    just want a box that will allow me to use both my home phone line and VOIP on the one phone.

any other suggestions always appriciated.

8. dejongj

dejongj
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,481
    @TheByP: My question was directed at drDiversity. You should be sorted with the suggestion of the Sipura 3000....I haven't got one as I don't have the need for it, but on paper it does all you want...

9. AOD

AOD

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    Just to add that there are other boxes that will also probably do what you want in addition to the Sipura.

Take a look at companies such as Broadband Buyer who sell a selection of suitable stuff.

10. dejongj

dejongj
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,481
    Hi Anthony, whilst it is a good post for ATA's...I think you will find that none of those offer what the Sipura 3000 offers...Being an ATA and then not phone to ethernet, but phone to ethernet and phone (POTS/BT).

11. stuartjr

stuartjr
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi chaps,

Found the thread interesting as I have a similar (but sightly different) setup which I want to use...

Having installed a wired ethernet during refurbishment, I am hoping to run VoIP around the house using VoIP 'phones (not PCs or 'normal' 'phones), and to use a gateway (eg. HandyTone 488) back at the main BT socket to translate the voice IP packets and route the voice call down the PSTN (BT) line, as I trust BT's QoS (and I am happy that the voice link is relatively secure). Can anyone tell me if the HT488 is the box for the job - it looks as though it should do the translation, and I believe that it offers lifeline fallback on power failure.

In the future, I can envisage a situation where BT would provide the gateway at the local exchange, and I could then dispense with the 488 and run all calls (multiple lines perhaps?) via IP over the BB connection to the local exchange, where it would be routed via the BT backbone, with all the data IP packets going via the ISP.

Anybody got any comments, or have you done similar to the above and have any tips?

Thanks,

Stuart.

12. dejongj

dejongj
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,481
    You'll find that with BT it may already be happening the otherway around to certain destinations.....

If you use a company like viopfone that is exactly what you can get today, and have the PBX functions hosted by them, so all you need is internet access....I would guess that BT will be providing a service like that at some point as well....They already do for business users mainly through contact centre products.....

I don't have the HandyTone 488, but from what I can read it does most of what you want, but I can't seem to find that it is providing PBX style functionality. Meaning it won't provide internal extensions etc to use your wired solutions. You can connect a dect base station to it and then use wireless to call between dect handsets but if you want extensions within the house on VoIP you really need a PBX in there....Perhaps a FritzBox Fon would do the trick or alternatively build an Asterisk server....