1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Ideal viewing distances for RPTV's

Discussion in 'Televisions' started by J0N, Jan 4, 2004.

1. J0N

J0N

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hello. I'm currently thinking about getting myself a nice new RPTV.
    I'm thinking about the Tosh 42PW23P or the LG RE39NZ43RB.

My flat is not very big and my sofa is about 10ft away from the spot where the TV will have to go. Is that far enough away to make the line structure (which I can see up close to the sets when in the shops) of the screen un-noticable?

Also and advice about which of the two sets to go for would be great.

Thanks people.

Jon

2. Kahless725

Kahless725

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Do a search for the Toshiba model code and it will bring up loads of stuff on it. I did some reasearch when I was thinking of getting one and came to the conclusion that with a budget of arround £850 that was the model to go for. If there is anything out of line when you get it there is a wealth of info on here on how to set it up properly (the only drawback to a rp is you have to tinker every now and again to correct it)

As for the distance, I dunno, I only have about 10 foot away if I got one and I was sure that was gonna be ok.

3. J0N

J0N

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Oh yeah, do RPTV's get affected by having speakers near them in the same way as a regular CRT?

4. alexs2

alexs2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,674
    You should be fine at 10 feet with that screen size.....also,an RPTV is just as susceptible to magnetic distortion from speakers,so keep unscreened speakers well away.

My own choice was for a Toshiba,as the picture quality etc was much better than the LG's and others that I saw.
    One useful thing is to take a DVD you know and like with you,and get the salesperson to hook up a DVD player direct to the TV's you want to try...much better than the shop video feed,and it certainly helped me choose.

5. J0N

J0N

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Well I've ordered the tosh and I can't wait for it to be delivered.
    Sadly, due to being away with work I've got to wait until the 17th until I get my grubby little mitts on it.

I'm sure I'll be back with more questions once it arrives...

6. jon smith

jon smith

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +132
    By coincidence I ordered th LG RE39NZ43RB from Comet today and it's arriving on the 17th.

The Tosh sets are great btw, I used to have a 43 inch 4:3 one.

7. spikey

spikey
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    i was looking at the LG rptv today at the comet website, have anyone seen one running....also tempted to buy a tosh..

Is a 100hz set better...

8. neilyboy

neilyboy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I saw an LG LCD RP running when someone else was demo'ing it. It looked very good on a DVD feed (Disney Cartoon) but I couldn't comment on its performance using other sources.

9. F G Evans

F G Evans

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have had the 42PW23 for approximately 4 months, I am seated approximately 7 foot away and have no problems with the picture, 10 foot should be more than enough.

The 42PW23 is extremely impressive. I bought it after looking at a few reviews on the internet, it got a couple of 5 star reviews ie best buy etc. If you look at the "toshiba web site" and find the tv there it will provide you with links to those reviews.

As for convergence issues I have had no problems yet and am more than happy relying on the ordinary user convergence controls. I would be grateful for more info on the service configuration before attempting the same.

As any one got any thoughts on the best picture settings for the 42PW23

10. jelly

jelly

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    the lg is terrible noisy picture rainbowing on dvd nasty

11. spikey

spikey
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    ok!!! so theres one good and one bad comment on the LG, alot of people i've talked too have recommended the Tosh over the LG.

I fancy the 42" wide screen and my misses wants the 43" 4:3 set.
    The 43" is alot cheeper, what set is recommended by you guys...

12. Gillious

Gillious
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    42" widescreen, 100% no questions asked

13. spikey

spikey
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for that, i have now ordered a Toshiba 42PW33P from currys for £899.....and because of a product error you get the £100 stand for free. Well impressed with the demo i recieved, great pics with the dvd and satallite feed, but a bit poor with the tv feed-it was crap on all the sets though....

14. J0N

J0N

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Well I've got it (Toshiba 42PW33P) all set up now and it's awesome.
    The picture quality is excellent and even the built in speakers are plenty loud enough for normal tv watching.

One very happy customer. :)

Picture Here.

15. spikey

spikey
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Toshiba are coming on friday to install mine, it sounds like i made a good choice....Whats the picture like throught the tv aerial....

16. J0N

J0N

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    TV picture is very good, I dont have digital so it's just a normal tv signal. I get a very faint ghosting effect sometimes but I'd seen the same effect on my 21" CRT set so its the ariel and not the TV.

The convergence on mine was spot on right out of the box, I had a quick fiddle with the options but just put it all back. I have the contrast & brightness set to 50% and turned the colour down to 35%