Ideal surround speaker height

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Speakers' started by Shimmie, Apr 26, 2007.

1. Shimmie

Shimmie

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I hope to buy some new speakers and stands in the next day or two, and I'm struggling to choose a stand height for the fronts and rears.

Thinking of getting Tannoy Fusion 2 speakers for the fronts, and Tannoy Mercury F1 Custom speakers for the rears (using a Sony STR-DA1200ES receiver and Oppo DV-981HD player).

I'd like to get Atacama Nexus speaker stands to go with them, and my big question is what height the stands should be?

I've read about how speakers should be positioned at / above / below ear level, but I'm not clear on whether this means the top of the speaker cabinet, the middle of the cabinet or the bottom?

In a normal, comfortable seated position on my couch, ear height is approx 1 metre off the ground.

I was thinking of getting 70cm tall stands for the front speakers, making the top of the speaker cabinets 110cm off the floor. For the rears, I could get 100cm stands, making the tops of the rear speaker cabinets approx 130cm off the floor.

Does this sound like the right way to go? I've never owned a surround sound / separates system before, so I'm totally new to this.

FYI, I've also attached a scale diagram of the room (in a PDF file), if that's any use, with the suggested positions of the speakers marked in. This is where I'm thinking of placing them - but I would certainly value any input to confirm / change that.

Thanks in advance for any input or advice - very much appreciated. Cheers.

Simon

Attached Files:

2. Dave

Dave
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,401
    Where the tweeters are in the speakers should be as close to ear height as possible.

3. Shimmie

Shimmie

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks Dave.

Is this for the front speakers? Or for both the front and rears - i.e. the front and rear speakers should be at the same height?

So, for the tweeters of the Tannoy Mercury F2 speakers to be at ear level, we'd be talking about positioning the speakers so the top of the speaker cabinet is a couple of inches above ear height?

Cheers.

4. Dave

Dave
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,401
    The same goes for all speakers including the centre. Try and get it as close as possible be it above or below the screen.

The front and rears should be at the same height and with those speakers, yes the top should be a couple of inches above ear height.

The nexus stands are great BTW, just make sure you fill them with clean dry sand when you get them.

5. Shimmie

Shimmie

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Excellent. Thanks again.

It will be difficult to get the centre speaker at ear level - I've ordered a 3 shelf Atacama Equinox AV stand to hold my Panasonic 42PX70, and I was planning to put the centre speaker on the shelf below the screen (i.e. the second shelf), with the receiver/amp, dvd player, etc. on the bottom shelf. So the middle of the tweeter on the centre speaker will be approx 50cm off the ground.

Think this is a problem? I can't think of any other way of doing it.

In terms of the sand you would use for that, is it any particular sand - i.e. would standard "builder" sand work fine, without damaging the stands?

6. Mr Incredible

Mr Incredible
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13,617
    Probably kiln dried sand used on filling on the gaps in patio paving would be the best sort. It's both dry and fine.

7. Dave

Dave
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,401
    The centre is always a compromise because the screen needs to be level with your eyes. If it's possible to tilt it up then do so but if not don't worry about it.

It's more important for the centre to be erm central :rolleyes: rather than at ear height so it'll be fine on the shelf.

As for sand, as long as it's clean and dry it will be fine. I'm not that clued up on different types. I bought a bag of sand that had pebbles in it and was soaking wet. Ended up putting it in the oven then sieving it, worked a treat.:D

8. Shimmie

Shimmie

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Sounds like a trip to B & Q is on the cards for a bit of sand so! Certainly beats spending 50 quid on Atabites or something similar!

Thanks guys. 4 speakers at the same height and a large bag of sand to go.

9. norge

norge

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    Hi, thanks...I am going to put on wall brackets Aelite 1 as rear surround speakers for a 5.1 system. So the tweaters have to be at ear level....I thought so but was not sure as I read another thread about this somewhere in this forum or another.