1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Ideal sub position...

Discussion in 'Subwoofers' started by Adlopa, Jan 3, 2003.

1. Adlopa

Adlopa
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    All things being equal, what's the considered opinion on the ideal position for a sub? As I've attempted to show below -- behind the front speakers (centre or corner) firing forwards or sideways; or in a corner in front of the front speakers, firing forwards or sideways? And on a similar note, while bass isn't directional, does it matter if an object (like a front speaker or TV + stand...) is immediately in front of a sub?

Code:
                         --------------------------
                         ¦           <--SW   <--SW  ¦
                         ¦                 ¦            ¦  ¦
                         ¦                 v           v   ¦
        -------------    FL         TV          FR  --------------
        ¦                                                       <-- SW     ¦
        ¦                                                               ¦      ¦
        ¦                                                               v      ¦
        ¦                                                                      ¦

2. Nobber22

Nobber22

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +109
    You are lucky to have several options on positioning, so the best way forward is to get a longer (5m?) sub lead and move the sub around until it sounds best. It is quite a lengthy process finding the best spot unfortunately. I suspect in a corner is NOT a good idea if you want good, clean, undistorted bass. Depends on the sub you have tho'.

3. Roman

Roman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +14
    Be careful putting your sub too close to your TV unless it is magnetically sheilded as it will affect the TV picture geometry - as I am now finding out to my cost! (Assuming you have a CRT TV of course).