1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Ideal settings for plasma with Sky+

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs' started by ABBITEA, Sep 11, 2003.

1. ABBITEA

ABBITEA

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Dear All,

I have the Hitachi 42pd3000 screen and today have had sky + fitted. Now the colours seem oversaturated and there were jagged edges when watching the simpsons on BBC2.

My previous source was NTL cable. Does anyone have any advice on the best settings with sky+

Thanks for any help.

2. johndon

johndon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +88
    Sky looks great on my 42PD3000. I assume that you've got the box set to RGB and the scart is connected to AV2 or 3 as AV1 doesn't support RGB and the picture does look really bad if connected to AV1.

Otherwise, have a look at changing the settings for contrast etc. I used some settings I found in a thread on here - can't remember which one but if you do a search for 32PD3000 or 42PD3000 you should be able to find it.

HTH

John

3. Easy2BCheesy

Easy2BCheesy
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hmmmmmmm well, take the contrast down, down, down. And the brightness too. I use BBC News 24 as an initial reference - you get a screen crammed full of red, and faces for you to get your skin tones right :) After that it's just a case of fiddling.

As for the Simpsons - hmmmmmmm, that is an interesting one. Could be any number of reasons, including a dodgy transfer from the NTSC original source. The earlier seasons of the Simpsons aren't very high quality at all.

4. ABBITEA

ABBITEA

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks. I will use news 24 as a reference and dabble with the settings.

5. chrise

chrise

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +46
    I have the same set-up and encountered a similar problem.

The Hitachi appears to share its picture settings across all of the video inputs so it is important to try and get the various sources roughly equal before you start to avoid major requirements for re-setting each time you want to watch anything else.

I found I had to reduce the contrast of the sky+ output in its settings menu to low (medium or high seemed to overdrive the input on the Hitachi AV box).

After making that adjustment I found that the Sky+ pictures looked great on the optimum settings for my Toshiba DVD player and Sony DVD recorder - set by using the THX optimiser screens on many DVDs.

News 24 is an excellent test and looks OK using this method.