1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Ideal Settings for Hitachi 32PD300

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs' started by Stellavision, Apr 12, 2003.

1. Stellavision

Stellavision

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +75
    I got my 32" Hitachi plasma yesterday and I'm pretty pleased so far.
    However, I'm not happy with the default picture settings and I'm just interested if anyone has got the secret recepie for the ultimate settings in the picture/favourite menu (ie. contrast, colour, etc...)

Chears

2. prusling

prusling
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Hi Stellavision,

Welcome to the small but select club of Hitachi 32 Series owners!

My settings for the 32PD3000 are:

White Balance 50%
    Contrast 33%
    Brightness 50% to compensate for black stretch
    Colour 33%
    Sharpness 0%
    Contrast Mode Normal
    CTI, LTI Both Mid
    YNR, CNR Both Low
    Black Stretch Mid
    Film Mode Off (I expect this is only useful for NTSC?)

Let us know what settings you find best.

Cheers, Peter

3. Stellavision

Stellavision

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +75
    Well last night I watched pulp fiction on DVD with my settings at:
    White Balance 50%
    Contrast 65%
    Brightness 50% to compensate for black stretch
    Colour 33%
    Sharpness 0%
    Contrast Mode Normal
    CTI, LTI ,YNR, CNR all mid (Not sure exactly what these settings mean. Could some on explain, please?
    Black Stretch Mid
    Film Mode Off

I find these settings very good for dvd, but for viewing tv from my ntl set top box the picture seems dull, so I set to natural for general tv viewing. Prusling don't you find normal tv dull, especially such low contrast.
    My dvd is connected by Ixos component video cable and ntl is connected by Ixos gold plated scart, so I expect a much superior dvd picture anyway.

Cheers,
    Barrie

4. muzz10

muzz10

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I'm interested to know if you went for the 32" because of cost or because of the room size.

5. Stellavision

Stellavision

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +75
    Definately cost!

6. PierreH

PierreH

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Still playing with settings for my 32 but one absolute rule is to keep black stretch off. Even on 'low' I find that changes of scene/lighting on DVDs causes the screen to think for a little bit before deciding how much it wants to darken/lighten the picture. Very off putting. Still haven't figured out the difference between Auto Contrast and Normal Contrast in everyday use.

I found the Natural setting to be pretty good for daytime TV but too bright for evening DVD viewing. Dynamic is unbelievably bad and Cinema has my old friend Black Stretch in the mix somewhere (looks impressive for a few minutes at first though).

7. muzz10

muzz10

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks, I was interested because I'm looking at the Hitashi 32 & 42 Plasma for a resonably sized lounge mainly used as a TV but with the odd movie as well. I will have a seperate HC room with projector for movies/sport etc. Would you say the 32" is a good "tv" plasma size or do you find yourself wishing you'd gone for the larger display. Just want to make sure I make the right choice when we're talking alot of cash!
    Cheers
    :D

8. Stellavision

Stellavision

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +75
    I find the 32" a good all round size for general use, ie: watching tv and watching dvd's.
    I could'nt help wondering what the 42" would have looked like in my front room, but as my wife is keen to point out, our room is relatively small and the 32 is ample for us.

Back to my issue of settings, I have used the THX Optimizer to quite pleasing effects. I am however waiting on a pair of optimizer spectacles from THX to finish the job properly.

9. JefUK

JefUK

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +52
    After many months of viewing various plasma demonstrations I have bought an Hitachi 32PD3000. After 2 weeks of use I am still very pleased with the choice.

I purchased it from TV & Video Direct for £2300 anD £40 delivery, And it was delivered by their own van the next working day. Service is carried out in the home by the local Hitachi agent. I can certainly recommend TV & Video Direct from both the cost and service points of view.

I am still developing my ideal settings, but at the moment the "favourite" picture settings are (percentage of scale):

White Balance - 50
    Contrast - 67
    Brightness - 50
    Colour - 50
    Sharpness - 50
    Contrast Mode - Normal
    CTI - Mid
    LTI - Mid
    YNR - Mid
    CNR - Mid
    Black Stretch - Low
    Film Mode - Off

I find that if the Black Stretch is more than "Low" then the dark areas of the picture are too black and lack detail. CTI and LTI seem to have little effect, but YNR, and to a lesser extent CNR do reduce noise on analogue signals. Of the pre-set modes "Dynamic" is awful, and "Natural" is the best.

Overall, I am very pleased with the Hitachi, which has given me a bigger screen with a superb picture, and in the process I have recovered some living space. My advice to anyone considering buying the Hitachi would be to go ahead....

10. wilber

wilber

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +30
    Everybody seems to be rather short of stock of these at the mo - JL don't expect to have any for another 2 weeks

11. cwick

cwick

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +95
    I received mine today from JL, generally pleased with it. Certainly can't fault the picture, but waiting for my AViA disk to turn up before playing too much.
    Watching freeview now, and it's great.

Not too pleased with the buzzing though. Very noticable from my seating position around 12ft from the screen. It's clearly audible even with the sound on at a reasonable level.

So I guess the jury's still out on this one. I'll give it a couple of days and see if I can live with the noise.

Any one else have a problem with the buzzing ?

Cheers, Carl.

12. JefUK

JefUK

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +52
    The buzzing on mine is audible if you get within a few inches of the screen, but from the viewing position it is inaudible over any sound. No problem - it is less than many CRT TV's that I've seen (heard).

Others have reported that the noise is screen position dependant. It depends how far it is from the wall. Some have reported that it can be reduced by placing some soft sound absorbent material on the wall behind the screen.

My screen is about 10 inches from a hard plastered wall and turned at an angle of about 5 degrees.

13. JefUK

JefUK

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +52
    cwick

From where have you ordered the AVIA test disc?

14. cwick

cwick

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +95
    JefUK,

From Piero over in the powerbuys forum. I'm expecting to receive it tomorrow.

And I think I'm going to need it ... just watching American Beauty, faffed with the picture a bit (colours looked a little too rich), and now it looks pants. Must faff some more .....

BTW, JefUK, you have a PM.

Cheers, Carl.