Ideal set up for Onkyo 875 - help needed

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by JustDavid, Sep 19, 2007.

Tags:
  1. JustDavid

JustDavid

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    I'm not sure this is the best place for this thread but here goes.

LX508D being delivered this week, Onkyo 875 on order and should be here beginning of October, and just about to order Toshiba HD-XE1.

What is the best way to connect these three together. I'm assuming HDMI cable from the Tosh' to the amp and then HDMI cable to the plasma, or will I have to use separate cable(s) for 5.1 sound from the Tosh' to the amp.

Should I connect the Tosh' straight to the plasma and just the sound to the amp? Ideally not I suspect because I will want the amp to upscale standard DVD's won't I?

I'd really value some advice on the ideal set up with regard to cable connections between them?

2. Spudsy

Spudsy
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    Hi:hiya:

Probly the most common way to go would be to plug everything into your amp as the onkyo upscales everything and sends it out its Hdmi.

now you could use the hdmi from your dvd player to get your 5.1 sound but, you loose 1% of your sound, qualitywise, through hdmi, where as through a digital connection you only loose about 0.01%

What i tend to do is use the coaxial digital cable for normal dvd's and when it comes to hd movies (hd-dvd + Blu-ray) use the hdmi as a 1% loss in signal quality for Dolby-HD is not to bad, Cause it sounds so good anyways.:thumbsup:

hope this helps

3. JustDavid

JustDavid

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    Bit confused, sound over HDMI isn't digital? How does an amp decode an analogue signal into 5.1?

4. stringbean

stringbean

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +32
    JustDavid - Connect the HD-XE1 to the 875 and the 875 to the TV (both using HDMI).

You should then be able to set the HD-XE1 to output multichannel PCM (which is digital) via the HDMI (which will provide the HD surround sound).

5. doopydug

doopydug

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +21
    Would be interested to know which does the better upscaling to 1080 - the display or the amp

6. cn9601

cn9601

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    JustDavid, sorie if I appear to hijack your thread. But I am also tweaking my Onky for the so-called ideal setup, hoping people could share your settings info.

I have used Audyssey to calibrate my 5.1 speakers, which are Mission 77-series. So far, I am quite pleased with Audyssey analysis/intrepretation of distance and db level. However, I think the crossover settings kinda over-blown with all spkrs calibrated as Full Band, so I decide to 'play God' with it.
    To me, REALLY there is a difference when you change these crossover freq on Onky, esp. the Front.

Spkrs Response Freq:
    Front L/R (774) : 45Hz-20kHz
    Ctr (77C) : 75Hz - 20kHz
    Rear (771) : 75Hz - 20kHz
    Sub : 29Hz - 100Hz (LPF 50Hz-100Hz)

Now, on Onky Crossover Freq I have manually changed to:
    Front : 50Hz
    Ctr : 80Hz (THX)
    Surr : 80Hz (THX)
    LPF over LFE : 80Hz (THX) - lowest (in increment of 80Hz, 100Hz and 120Hz)
    (For the sub, I have also physically tuned up the variable LPF to 100Hz to avoid duplicated crossover between Onky and Sub)

So wonder whether anyone has tried and kindly share your opinion and please advise whether mine makes sense or not? :lease:

Also, I am confused with Onky LPF over LFE crossover. If I set it to the next incremental freq of 100Hz, what happen to Ctr and Rear? It looks to me that the LPF must always be the same or higher than the 5 spkrs (Front, Ctr, Surr). Otherwise, there will be Audio Gap. Please enlighten my knowledge gap :confused:

7. DNO

DNO

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Spudsy

Could you elaborate on this please, HDMI is digital so I'm not sure where the loss you describe is coming from

Cheers

8. MI55ION

MI55ION

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +690
    Hi, I've tried to keep it as simple/relevant as possible so here it is:

HD XE1 >>> HDMI >>> TX-SR875 >>> HDMI >>> LX508D

HD XE1 Picture setting: TV Shape - 16:9
    Pic Mode - Auto
    Resolution - upto 1080p
    Pal/auto - Auto

HD XE1 Audio setting: Digital out HDMI - Auto
    Dynamic Range Control - Off
    Dialog Enhancement - Off

TXSR875 Picture setting: Conversion - On
    Component I/P - On
    HDMI up-scaling - Through (by-pass)

With this setup, the XE1 will carry out all necessary decoding of audio and send it to the receiver as multi-channel PCM. For video, the XE1 will carry out all necessary de-interlacing and send the picture to the TV bypassing the 875's video processing.

You do not want the AV receiver to upscale, the XE1 has superior upscaling to that of the 875. With the anticipated firmware update, we should also soon get native 1080p/24fps output from the XE1 for the best in PQ.

Just one other note regarding HDMI cables, unless you have bought them already, do not get suckered into buying overpriced cables. For any cables less than 2m you should pay no more than £12, for longer lengths upto 10m, no more than £40. Your friendly ebay trader could supply you with a variety of cables at or below that price and of course there are internet shops such as Cableuniverse.

Hope that'll help you out.

9. MI55ION

MI55ION

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +690
    I think that's more theoretical than anything else. It's based on the notion that SPDIF is a long established dedicated audio only interface with years of 'possible' refinement and lower jitter count than that of the new all purpose HDMI. Whether anyone could hear the difference however is questionable at this level.

10. cn9601

cn9601

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    Check out so-called real-life HDMI cables 'lab test', specifically hitting out on the hype expensive branded cable. This is Internet info, though :D

http://gizmodo.com/gadgets/hdmi-cab...ster-cable-+-grand-finale-part-iii-282725.php

11. JustDavid

JustDavid

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    Good advice, thanks guys HDMI is the way! Suprised that HD XE1 is a better scaler than the amp given the hype over the chip. But if you don't take advice, whats the point in asking, so I'll give it a go as you detail out MI55ION.

One more quick question, standard Sky+ box, straight to the TV or via the amp for upscaling? (I'm assuming the amp can upscale from S-video)

Thanks.

12. MI55ION

MI55ION

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +690
    My bad, just realised that the 875 has the same Reon chip as the XE1 and if it was just all about the chip than they should both be on par. However, different implementation of the chip will give different results but I would still maintain that letting the XE1 upscale would be the simplest and most effective way to get the best picture - if you're of an inquisitive nature then you could always try and see.

Does the SKy+ box have S-video out? If it doesn't I'm not sure if a Scart to S-video cable would work on their own or if you would require an external box to convert the signal e.g. like you do for RGB to Component conversion. Again you'd have to try and see unless someone else here have already been down this road and could chip in. If all else fails, as you say, you could go straight to TV since the the Pio has a pretty decent scaler onboard. It might even give better results as it is the most direct route for the signal.

13. JustDavid

JustDavid

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    The Sky+ box does have a S-video out on the back, I am assuming it works though because I use a scart lead into the TV at the moment.

I feel I ought to try the scaler in the amp given it was the main reason for justifying the 875 over the 805. I guess it will be trial and error and see what works best for me.

What I'm trying to avoid is sitting in front of the TV with numerous remotes following a fire up/switch on procedure similar to that of launching the shuttle before I can watch the telly. You know the drill;
    Sky box on (check) swap remote
    Amp on (check) swap remote
    TV on (check) swap remote
    Amp started, select source channel (check) swap remote
    Grab sky remote select channel and relax, no wait TV too loud, grab Amp remote etc. etc.

14. Spudsy

Spudsy
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8

Hi sorry for not getting back quicker, my net's been playing up.

Just cause a cable is digital doesn't mean it wont loose quality, its just that hdmi is better for video than audio.

15. JustDavid

JustDavid

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    So you believe its worth spending the money on good quailty HDMI cables because you can notice a difference?

Also, if digital coaxial is best for DVD sound why use the HDMI cable for HD-DVD, why not use the same? Is it just ease of use or are there other issues I'm not aware of?