• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

Question Ideal replacement for panasonic plasma

Mowgley

Standard Member
Afternoon all

I Know this question has been asked a millions times (sorry :)).
I'm looking for a replacement for my trusty Panasonic plasma 42g10 which is starting to give up the ghost after 8 years of quality service. It has begun to have pink banding on whites scenes.
My living room is a bright south facing and viewing distance around 7 foot and the maximum size is 50". I popped into currys yesterday for a idea of which set to get and the Panasonic ex750 really caught my eye.
Reading up on the Samsung mu8000 is no better than last years model and the Sony alittle out of the price range.Ideally my budget is around £1000-£1100.
Are these TVs a big improvement on my old penny?
Thx in advance

Dodgexander

Afternoon all
Are these TVs a big improvement on my old penny?

For picture quality going from a Plasma to an LCD can be one step forward two back. I wrote about it before here: Thinking of replacing your plasma?

Are you limited in size for a particular reason? At 7ft viewing distance you'll need at least a 55" tv to notice UHD vs FHD and even bigger/viewing closer if you want to fully benefit from UHD, see: UHD vs FHD

That aside, right now it is a difficult time to recommend TVs, many 2016 models are by far better value than the 2017 counterparts but they are running out of stock. Whilst they are running out, 2017 models remain very overpriced. This leaves budget 2017 models selling for the same price as mid end 2016 models and high range 2016 models selling for the Same as mid range 2017 ones.

If you are limited to 50" then you can't get high end models, only mid range. The best option overall would be the Samsung KS series TVs. KS7000/KS7500/KS8000/KS9000 if you can find any of those still..most likely not sold new on the street anymore. Anything else under your budget you start to take a hit with HDR performance.

The Panasonic DX-750 or EX-750 by comparison is fine for SDR, but lacks the brightness and local dimming for decent HDR, so watching HDR on those will look lacklustre in comparison. Again the EX-750 is not worth the extra you pay over the old DX-750 since last years DX is now reduced so much.

Then there is the Sony XE90 which is probably most similar to the Samsung KS series in performance, but since it is a 2017 model it is still very overpriced for what it is.

If you can go up to 58" then you could grab a TV like the Panasonic DX-902 which is a class above all the above in HDR performance on Panasonics eBay refurb store for less than 1k. It is at 55" and over where you find the sweet spot for value with HDR TVs. If you don't game going larger also opens you up to the 55" Sony XD93 if you can still find one, this is every bit as good as the Samsung KS series (albeit not as good as the Panasonic DX902) but it is not a good choice if you game as it has high input lag.

Mowgley

Standard Member
No 50" is the max I can go unless the living room get changed around then the tv will be constantly facing the sun/light. Having not seen any sd content on these screens yet and as you say sd will look worse I don't think I'll be ditching the panny just yet then forking out over £1000 for a inferior picture. I'll just have to put up with the pink banding for a while longer!

Mowgley

Standard Member
Going to visit RS and John Lewis this weekend and I've narrowed it down to the ex750 or the Sony Xe9005. Hopefully they will have a sd feed

The latest video from AVForums

Spielberg, Shyamalan, Aronofsky, Chazelle, Eddie Murphy and Mel Gibson - all the latest movies
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom