Ideal receiver?

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by ccgj, Apr 11, 2004.

1. ccgj

ccgj

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi!

Please, whould someone help me whih this issue?

Which receiver is the best/ideal to play the following set:

Front speakers: two B&W DM602 S3
    Surround speakers: two B&W DM601 S3
    Central speaker: B&W LCR60 S3
    Subwoofer: Velodyne CHT 10

Yamaha RX-V2400 ?
    Yamaha RX-V1400 ?
    Denon AVR 3803 ?
    Denon AVR 3805 ?
    Denon AVR 3803 ?
    Denon AVR 2803 ?

Any others?

Thanks!
    Claudio

2. Stellavision

Stellavision

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +102
    The Denon 3805 appears to be a very good choice. The yamaha's you mention I beleive to be very good but appear to be a little bit trickier to get hold of in this country.
    I would reccomend the Pioneer AX5i which is also a superb receiver. With THX certification, MCACC auto setup and other superb features this receiver will give most sub £1000 receivers a good run for their money.
    The B&W 600 series are excellent speakers and should go well with most receivers.

3. ccgj

ccgj

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0

4. Hawklord

Hawklord

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +295
    I'd go and audition a range of receivers at a dealer that stocks the speakers you want. One receiver is not necessarily better or worse than another one just different. You need to find the receiver that YOU feel complements the speakers you have chosen best.
    When I had my B&W DM602's S3 and LRC60's they were partnered with Denon's AVR3802 (which I still have) and this was a very good match for ME. The B&W 600 series 3 speakers can sound very bright (some say harsh) when partnered with a bright amp so it's always best to have a listen before you buy.:)

5. ccgj

ccgj

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thank`s for your help

6. Daneel

Daneel

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    I'd go for the higher end receivers, the AX5 or the, 2400 or the 3805. I had the exact same speaker setup as you and found that upgrading amps etc made them improve a lot. The B&Ws have great potential and can be matched to far more expensive electronics without being the limiting factor.

Also consider going 2nd hand, I wish I had initially, you get a lot more for your money. Although features seem like the most important thing right now, you will soon find that sound quality is many times more important.

Have you bought those speakers already BTW? Not to add to your decision making but if not, demo the Monitor Audio range, the Mission M5 range and the JM Lab Chorus. There is some strong competition out there.