1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Ideal panel resolution for a projector?

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by jrwood, Jul 19, 2002.

1. jrwood

jrwood

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I was thinking to myself what the ideal panel resolution a projector should be. The resolution of PAL DVD's is 720 x 576 and NTSC DVD's are 720 x 480. I thought that for PAL the ideal resolution for a projector would be 1440 x 1152 but in reality this may not be the case?. When you think about it, a 720x576 native panel projector would not be doubling the pixels you see projected. However the 1440 x 1152 native panel would be and perhaps creating a 'softer' picture?.

I know a higher resolution helps to reduce screendoor in theory and perhaps in practise but maybe if what I wrote above is correct then the best projector would be one native to DVD resolution with smaller gaps between the LCD pixels.

Im probably talking rubbish but it just interested me :)

2. Nic Rhodes

Nic Rhodes

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,277
    My money is one simple XGA. It can do 1024 x 576 widescreen PAL and all the lesser NTSC variants. Keep it simple.:)

3. ReTrO

ReTrO

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +59
    I've found that 1280x720 suits most video fine. It may not be a perfect mutliple of 756, but looks good to me.

You could always look at CRT, then you can have any number of lines you want. :) (Obviously the max no. is limited by the PJ)

4. Kramer

Kramer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I agree.

More pixels = more resolution, less screendoor.

Use HTPC for scaling.

With DVDs having varied formats (Pal, NTSC), resolutions, aspect ratios etc... this would probably be the best compromise.

Or CRT.