1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Ideal lumen rating

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by stevenr, Mar 16, 2002.

1. stevenr

stevenr

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    After reading many posts here and elsewhere I will make the following assumption. A projector with a lumen rating of more than 900-1000 will not be as ideal as a projector with say 600-900 lumens, for home cinema use. Is it because you will lose detail in dark scenes with a high lumen projector?.

I also think there is further investigation to be done regarding grey screens, has anyone tried painting plastic or other surfaces with icestorm paint?.

2. Chris Frost

Chris Frost

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +108
    It's true the home cinema projectors tend to be less bright than those used for presentations, but looking at one figure, like ANSI lumens, isn't the answer. There has to be a balance between brightness, contrast ratio, screen size, room lighting, screen surface etc.

An 800 ANSI projector with 200:1 contrast could look worse than something more powerful but with better contrast.

I know this sounds obvious, but you need to see and judge projectors for yourself before buying.

Regards