1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Ideal Dscaler PC Spec...

Discussion in 'Desktop & Laptop Computers Forum' started by paublo, Apr 3, 2002.

1. paublo

paublo
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    How long is piece of string.... (sorry for the open question)

Looking longer term at one of Rolly's Barco 708's... I am preparing my HTPC, Enermax 350 powersupply on the way etc...

I am currently using a P3 600 and a Pinnacle TV Rave card with Dscaler and with some of the fancier filters its dropping the occasional frame... what PC spec would be ideal, allowing me to use the most CPU intensive filters etc..

Maybe if you could reply with your CPU, resolution (does this make a hugh difference?), and the results... cheers

Thanks
    Paul

2. tryingtimes

tryingtimes

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +548
    No dropped frames with everything I can find switched on.
    Spec on my website
    briefly
    1280x720
    P3 1.0
    Supergrace Radeon (ATI clone)

If I was doing it now I'd have the same mobo but with the 1.2Ghz Tualatin
    Having said that the P4 situation has stabilised so I'd probably do that.

HTH
    Alex

3. larsan

larsan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Alex,

How do you find the Radeon clone performs?
    I'm having trouble finding a "real" ATI made Radeon.
    Can only find Hercules now...

Regards,
    David

4. paublo

paublo
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Thanks Alex... do you feed your VCR or any other lower quality signal through dscaler...??? I was thinking about the temporal filter.. dot crawl etc...

I have been considering using an external player v HTPC DVD... PowerDVD 4XP etc... just for the usability more than anything..
    I have a ir remote (silitec) and girder working... not decided yet...

P3 600 cant be far off spec..... I was begining to wonder if I needed a big Athlon etc... cheers

5. Jeff

Jeff

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +256
    Most of the DScaler developers use PIII's so its no surprise that they work very well with it. The very latest Celerons are actually full 256kb Tualatin's so very good value. I use the 512kb PIII 1.226Ghz CPU, it eats DScaler for breakfast. :)

For the ultimate DScaler / External DVD experience you can get an SDI capture card and an SDI modded DVD player. This gives you a fully digital connection which is said to give a better picture quality than the best software players. I have the SDI card myself, but I haven't got an SDI DVD player yet. might go for a modded Pioneer 747 though.

Jeff

6. paublo

paublo
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Yes....... would really like to try the SDI card.. your other posts are much appreciated... I tend to listen rather than post..learn.... hence only a few posts since last year... ;)

I am happy with the DVD output... just trying to tweak the best from the lower end material, either composite or svideo i.e. Vcr output... do you use any of the filters?... the temporal and some of the other development ones look interesting... not sure whether to go and buy a new board and processor or not....

you can really burn hours on this stuff... fun....

thanks..

7. Jeff

Jeff

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +256
    If you are serious about DScaler you really do need a faster processor, some of the filters are very processor heavy. I would say a 800mhz is bare minimum these days. An Asus TUSL2-C and one of the new 1Ghz+ Celerons would be great. Just make sure that its one of the 256kb Tualatins rather than the old Celerons, huge difference in performance but not price. I'm currently running DScaler 4.0 alpha with the new gradual noise filter for watching Sky Digital, works great.

Jeff

8. paublo

paublo
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Thanks Jeff, thats help me decide... gonna upgrade

Asus kit is excellent.. I currently run a P2B and have had no problems, so I will go with Asus again..

The P4 1.8 has come way down in price and it will give me plenty of head room.. so it looks like a good candidate..

9. Jeff

Jeff

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +256
    Remember that P4s are relatively slow. With something like DScaler a 1.2 Tualatin would probably outperform a 1.8 P4.

10. JohnAd

JohnAd

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    Paul

The main thing to concentrate on performancewise is memory bandwidth. So maybe get a slower processor but get the fastest memory/MB combination you can find. Most of the time Dscaler isn't really doing much "procesing" it's just moving memory around the place.

I'll also be getting a Roly 708 soon so we should be able to compare notes on getting the best we can from this puppy.

John

11. tryingtimes

tryingtimes

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +548
    Sorry for not replying sooner - for some reason I didn't get an notification email:confused:

Larsan
    The pq from the Radeon clone is great. The only problem is I was trying to use the TheaterTek recommended drivers for the absolute best pq but have found that even though the drivers I have are ATI the replacement drivers don't recognise the card. I think I'm stuck with the drivers that came.
    I think Jeff found his 8500 was more receptive however. Jeff?

Paublo
    Yes, I have all sorts going to dscaler. VHS, 3 consoles, sky and sometimes a digital camcorder.
    VHS can sometimes look far better than I would have expected. I've tried a number of filters and now just leave most off.
    This new one Jeff mentions sounds interesting though.

If memory speed is as important as JohnAd says then I will add that I have 512Mb of Crucial Technologies CAS2 Ram. The Mobo is the TUSL2-C.
    I'm not overclocking.

HTH
    Alex

12. larsan

larsan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    alex,

Thanks for the reply!:D

I thought the 8500 was not suitable because of the broken gamma? Have this been resolved?

If that's the case, I'll get the original 8500!

/David

13. tryingtimes

tryingtimes

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +548
    Nope but Jeff seems quite happy:confused:
    I read somewhere that ATI had promised to resolve the problem with a driver update.
    Can you explain Jeff?

14. Jeff

Jeff

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +256
    If you use the latest drivers 6037 and beyond you still get posterization on all gamma settings apart from 1 which is the default. All I do to compensate for the slightly dark display is to up the brightness to about 16%, contrast can also be raised to abou 105%. I for one am not overly convinced about raising gamma levels anyway, to me it makes the whole thing slightly unatural looking even on a regular Radeon that doesn't have the gamma problem. Apart from that the 8500 is a very good card, I sold my old Radeon DDR, no regrets.

Jeff

15. tryingtimes

tryingtimes

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +548
    Sorry to move more off topic, Paublo
    In what ways does the 8500 improve over the DDR?
    Deinterlacing, colours, detail?

16. larsan

larsan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Sorry if I sound stupid but,
    If using the setting 1 on gamma, the card essentially works like it should? No posterization.

The reason I want to be sure is that the cards are darn expensive in Sweden and I don't want to waste money...

Anything would be better than my Geforce...

best regards

17. paublo

paublo
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    thanks Jeff/Johnad

even more to think about.... Asus Board is good, CAS 2 memory.. continuing the thought process (being aware of the costs!). would your then recommend RDRAM and the Northwood 512... ?
    Where does the Athlon sit? being lazy, I should go and read tomshardware....

No probs with the thread..
    Keep with the video card.. I also have a Geforce 2... so may consider changing that for an 8500... Always lots to learn..

Cheers

18. Jeff

Jeff

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +256
    Well, I'm going to be careful, most people here already have Radeons and I don't want to push people into buying something they might not like.

Basically for the moment at least its a Radeon on which you can't adjust gamma. So yes no posterisation with gamma set to 1 (with the right driver).

I like the 3D speed and the dual display functionality (even if the displays don't work well with both on at the same time)

For DVD playback I get the 'impression' of smoother, improved colour and sharper display.

The 400mhz DAC will also come in handy if the 9" CRT works out.

As I say I'm happy with it, but I don't generally recommend it because of the gamma problem and most people like to use the Cliff gamma adjusted 0IRE settings.

19. Jeff

Jeff

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +256
    It depends if you want to create a quiet PC or not. Athlon and P4's run hot, all the required cooling generates unwanted noise. PIII's are getting on a bit but they are perfect for HTPC applications.

20. paublo

paublo
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    understood.... thanks for your steering...

Spec'ing it all is half the fun..

Cheers
    Paul

21. Desmo

Desmo
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,760
    I've not found this to be a problem. Running the Zalman flower cooler on my XP1600+ is absolutely silent and still as cool as any other normal cooler I've had.

22. paublo

paublo
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Cheers Desmo....I am willing to balance the noise level with getting a much Grunt as I can for my money... there are so many ways of doing this.... cooling will be added to my list of investigative projects...

On the Memory bandwidth front... is RDRAM the way to go..?. lots of opinions everywhere... seems only to be necessary on the new big 2 gig+ p4's..

All good stuff..

Cheers
    Paul.