1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

ideal bitrates dv > dvdr

Discussion in 'Camcorders, Action Cams & Video Editing Forum' started by JayX, Jul 6, 2003.

1. JayX

JayX

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +30
    hi,

usually i cap my video with vegas4 cap program, which uses a standard DV codec (~120mb / minute iirc) and because most of the time im only encoding about an hour > 90 mins of work to dvdr, i encode at silly bitrates (6000kbit avg, 8000kbit max) as the diskspace isn't a problem

atm im working on putting as much footage onto a dvd as possible (i'll have about 20 bands footage in total, possibly more) and i want to know whats a good bitrate to use that'll still look as good as the DV but without overkilling. im guessing about 2500-3500kbit ? can't really test too much as due to the lack of hdd space, im capping bands, trimming them down and encoding to mpeg and storing on a separate hdd until im ready to author. big task for someone with no hdd space (if only the company would give me a dual 200gb eh :) )

ta

2. peasoup

peasoup
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Have you thought about using a variable bit rate? A good way of keeping quality and size down. Premieres mpeg encoder will let u do this i personally use a prog called CCE.

3. JayX

JayX

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +30
    thats vbr, im used to CCE and avisynth so thats no worries, but i want to know the rough average to use, (ie when i encode to SVCD from a dvd source, i wont drop the average below around 2100kbit @ 5 pass CCE , due to the fact i think the quality loss is too low) as i've not got the hdd space to cover up any mistakes i might make, i need to know the rough bitrate the camera itself films at if it was direct to an mpeg2 source rather than DV. as i said, im guessing about 3500kbit with a 5000kbit average. i'll probably use mainconcept over CCE as i find CCE is better with taking down from a high bitrate to a low bitrate without much quality degradation, whereas im trying to keep the bitrate as equivalent as i can here. thanks :)