1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Ideal all-in-one and LCD combo?

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Buying & Building' started by tennant, Jan 4, 2004.

1. tennant

tennant

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +15
    I am looking for a DVD/LCD combo to use as a second system in the dining room. Space is at a premium, and as it isn't the main system I'm prepared to make compromises. The main system needs to be hidden in a cupboard, with speakers as small as possible and minimum cables to the TV (but best possible signal quality). There will also be a TiVo and FreeView box in the cupboard.

I am currently considering the Sony DAV-S550 (~£250) and a Relisys RLT1720 LCD widescreen TV (~400). This is great in that the Sony can connect to the Relisys using progressive scan component. However the main downdise is that I whilst the Relisys has built-in stereo speakers I would alkso need the centre speaker from the Sony, unless there's a way to wire it up so that the Relisys speakers carry just the centre channel signal (I appreciate that this means there isn't equal tonal balance on all speakers, but as I said I'm prepared to make compromises, as it will not be used for serious DVD movie watching). As the Sony doesn't have line level 6ch outputs, is it possible to convert the centre channel speaker level output back to line level?

Alternatively is there another product combination I could consider for similar budget (to about £750)? Either an alternative 17" widescreen monitor that doesn't have speakers (in fact doesn't really need an inbuilt TV tuner if the DVD package can feed it with the Freeview/TiVo/DVD image); otherwise an alternative to the DAV-S550 which has line level output for the sentre channel that I can feed to the Relisys...although I suspect this option will be unlikely).

My priorities are:

1) System needs to be physically small, in particular the speakers
    2) TV to be wall mountable with minimum cables
    3) Excellent sound quality from CD/radio (ideally RDS)
    4) Play DVD-R (home videos) and CD-R disks (music)

DVD-Audio multi-channel would be a bonus as I have a reasonably large DVD-Audio collection but only a few SACDs.

Any suggestions greatly appreciated.

Tennant

2. DDDavo

DDDavo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Firstly, you say, "4) Play DVD-R (home videos) and CD-R disks (music)" Well im sorry but then the Dav s550 is out of the pic. It cannot play DVD + or - r/rw. Therefore you cannot play home burned movies. Seconldly, sound quality is phenomenal from the S550 but others say picturequality isn't 100% perfect. I have a small TV and use composite (i know, composite) but my picture is absoultely perfect and have no faults. As there is no RGB scart, you would probably use the s-video output. There is component which is arguably better than scart, although scart is the basis of component, not many TV's support it. (You can get component to scart cables at a price though.) But I am sure the Sony cannot play DVD - or + r or rw's so you would have to consider something else. As for your other questions, i cannot answer them so you'll have to wait for another reply. Sorry!

3. tennant

tennant

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +15
    Thanks for your comments. I'm surprised the Sony won't play DVD-R disks, as I've actually found compatibility to be extremely good. Not the end of the world if I can't play them on this system I guess as all my other systems can play them.

Slightly confused abvout your Scart comments...surely scart uses composite, S-video and/or RGB, not component?

Tennant

4. Footsie

Footsie
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I'm confused...

I bought a DAV-S550 last week and yesterday played a DVD+RW that I'd recorded from home DV tapes - played fine. I've hooked it up via an S video to SCART cable and the quality's fine. Can't tell the difference between that and RGB from my LG DVD player.

5. tennant

tennant

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +15
    Thanks for that. Whilst DVD+RW is no guarantee that'll play DVD-R, it makes it a little more likely!

Ordered an S550 this morning for delivery on Thursday, when I'll find out for myself...at under £200 decided it was worth the risk!

Have also decided to replace the TiVo and separate FreeView box with a Pace twin Freeview hard disk recorder...this will give me a massive saving in space.

Only thing left to resolve therefore is the TV. Ideally I just need a 17" widescreen TFT monitor that will accept a component (or S-Video or composite) signal, but I doubt such a thing exists!?

Tennant

6. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Somewhere near the M4 most of the time......
    Ratings:
    +1,215
  7. tennant

tennant

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +15
    Thanks for that. However these are TVs, rather than widescreen monitors. I don't need TV tuner as I have an external dual tuner freeview box and I don't need speakers as I have the surround sound system. I just want a widescreen monitor that accepts component, which will be smaller sleeker and hopefully cheaper...but as I said, probably doesn't exist!

Tennant

8. Footsie

Footsie
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Under £200?! Where from? Bought mine from Richer Sounds at £270 for multi region last week and I thought that was the cheapest in the UK! Would you PM me with where you bought it and then RS should refund under their price match.

Thanks.

9. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,215
    Dabs value 18.1 is not a tv but has a TV option for an extra £30ish. if your not fussed on WS then see Daren blakes "cheap nasty bedroom LCD" thread

10. tennant

tennant

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +15
    Definitely want widescreen!

Tennant

11. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,215
    Very fe WS monitors TV's will come without speakers best you could hope for would be detachables but then you are still paying for them! i think the ACER unit looks good. even with speakers!

12. tennant

tennant

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +15
    Yes the Acer AL1751WM does look quite good, wouldn't be too unhappy having that on my wall. However the 25ms refresh rate worries me a little...lots of reports I've read said you need at least 16ms to avoid the sluggishness that many LCDs suffer from.

Also can't find anything to suggest whether this set has a remote control, I presume not?

Contrast ratio, viewing angle and brightness seem very good, but just a pity there's no progressive scan/component support.

It looks like it's going to have to be a choice between the Acer and the Relisys, but neither have the exact features I need...someone needs to combine the feature set of these two models together!!!

Tennant

13. 3george

3george
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Tennant - would you be able to let us all know where you got the S550 for £200.00 I've been trying to source one locally only to find they are in short supply.

Thanks - 3george

14. mobily

mobily
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Where did you get the dav-s550 from for 200 quid!!??

I paid 270 from richer sounds on saturday, maybe a little refunding of price difference could work if I knew where you got it from? :p

Cheers

15. tennant

tennant

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +15
    Once mine arrives on Thursday, and I confirm it's all ok...I'll publish the retailer. Don't want to get everyone's hopes up and they turn out to be unreliable.

Tennant

16. mobily

mobily
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    I hope your system arrives tommorrow tennant.

I have £70 riding on this :p

is your unit multi region?

Cheers,

James

17. tennant

tennant

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +15
    No, not multi-region.

Care to split the £70 for the info??? :rotfl:

18. DDDavo

DDDavo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi

Yep i have an S550, and paid £300 in September, £200 NOW is a BARGAIN! THE S550 I CANNOT FUALT, (hardly) and for that price!!!!!!!!!!

You'll have to reveal all

19. DDDavo

DDDavo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Yep, i knew there was something else. DVD + and - r and rw disks. The Sony models aren't suppose to support this media becuase of copy protection. However, many of them do play them but generally that isn't a rule to go on.

So you probably will be ok. One thing they don't like slightly imperfect disks, scratches etc. For example audio CD's, play fine on PC or other players but on the Sony it doesn't like them if they aren't perfect. Oh well!

20. Footsie

Footsie
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Don't want to steal Tennant's thunder...

I'm pretty sure that £270 is the cheapest for a brand new, boxed, multi-region 550 in the UK.

For those like me who've bought from RS in the last couple of weeks, I don't think there'll be any price-matching on the way as we're not comparing like with like.

21. DDDavo

DDDavo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Well its thursday, have you got your bargain £200 system?

22. tennant

tennant

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +15
  23. tennant

tennant

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +15
    Just received the S550...wow, what a piece of kit. Haven't had the chance to connect up to my TV yet, as I'm at work; but set it up and tested the sound quality for CD, and I have to say that for the price I'm impressed.

Will be spending the weekend chasing cables into the walls to result in a system that you can't see!

Tennant

24. DDDavo

DDDavo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    WOW, £213 inc delivery. It does sound stunning! Just pump your bass up to +6db, press amp menu on remote and press the arrow up button till you get to S.W level and then press the right arrow key. Sounds better then!

25. tennant

tennant

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +15
    Presumably the threaded holes on the back of the speaker are for some kind of mounting bracket? Is there a specific bracket that is compatible with these and where can I get them from?

Tennant

26. DDDavo

DDDavo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi

Well, the ones i use are from Argos. They are great (speaker stands these are) £35 a pair made by Alphason. They are easy to install but remember to thread the wire through the base and the bolt before you put it through the pole. They have universal fittings but work great.

27. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,215
    Alpason SS20 available in black and silver are suitable for many satellite speakers but not Kef eggs or JAMO IIRC, good for the money though!

28. tennant

tennant

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +15
    Thanks for that...however I'm after wall mount rather than floor standing. Preferably a bracket that is completely obscured by the speaker itself so can't be seen.

Any suggestions?

Tennant

29. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,215
  30. tennant

tennant

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +15
    Does anyone know the guage of the threaded hole on the back of the speakers, can't find any mention in the manual?

Tennant