IDE Drive Problems

mrmc74

Established Member
Reaction score
I've just flashed my bios and now my slave hd is no longer recognised. I had to flash to accept a XP3000+ CPU.

Master: Deskstar 120GXP

Slave: Deskstar 60GXP

MB: Gigabyte 7VAX1394

Both drives are set to cable select and on 1, 80 conductor cable in the correct positions.

With both drives connected only the 120GXP is recognised but XP will not boot - drive error.

With just the 120GXP connected XP boots fine.

With just the 60GXP connected the drive is not recognised.

Changing the cable the 60GXP is not recognised.

Changing the ide channel the 60GXP is not recognised.

Last resort is connecting it in another machine, but I'm hoping I've missed something...

Any advice greatly appreciated.

I'd suggest re-flashing the BIOS back to what it was, check if the drive still works as it did. You can then rule out a simultaneous drive fault.

Next, check to be absolutely sure (sorry if you've done this) the BIOS flash file is the right one. If it is, perhaps try to get a different BIOS upgrade if there's another one available and try that.

Alternatively, set the drives to Master and Slave and see if that works - I've had instances with drives where the cable select doesn't actually work properly but setting them specifically to Master and Slave does. This isn't really a problem unless you remove the drives a lot (e.g. if you had 2 docking bays for the drives and you swapped the drives between them frequently). Lastly, make absolutely sure you have the jumpers on the drives set correctly. Maxtor drives are often different, sometimes using 2 jumpers on the pins, whereas other makes tend to use 1. Double-check you have the pins jumpered correctly - i.e. you have the right pins jumpered. I've made the mistake before of counting from the wrong end and making what should have been a Master drive a 'limit to 32Mb'!

Good luck!

Thanks supersonic for such a quick reply.

I've rolled back the bios to the old version - no change.

Changed the jumpers on the drives to master/slave and master while connected on it's own for the problem IBM 60GXP.

Still no detection...

Bios is the correct one for my motherboard, I downloaded it based on my model and crosschecked it against the bios flash autodownload program from gigabyte.

Two jumpers used per drive sometimes 3 on the IBM... Set according to manual. Also handy sticker on the back of the drive.

Seems to be a strange coincidence that the drive is not detected now.

I'll try it in someone elses machine.

this will probably achieve very little, but after flashing to a new bios you hsould always enter the bios menu and load setup defaults. The reasonf or doing this is that the new bios may have different default parameters than the old bios. You cmos will hold the settings for your old bios which may or may not cause hassles with your new bios. Loading defaults will overwrite your old settings with the default parameters for the new bios

not necessarily saying this will fix your problem (which sure is an odd problem..) but it is just best practise, so thought I would mention it here

Thanks for the tip.

I had loaded in the bios defaults after the flash though.

Will try the hd in a friends pc.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom