1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Id4 r2

Discussion in 'Movie Forum' started by MacReady, Mar 2, 2001.

1. MacReady

MacReady

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I bought this yesterday after 'umming and arring' about it for a while on R1.

I already have the Special Edition LD (which has a MUCH better cover than any version on DVD!) and I have just got sick of having to change to the second disc for the last 20 mins of the movie...but I am very disapointed with the DVD!

I havn't seen the R1 pressing so I can't compare it, but the picture seems very soft and lacking in any detail.....and the sound (admitedly compared to the LD) just dosn't seem to have the dynamics I am used to.

Has anyone else bought this edition of the movie...if so what do you think?

------------------
    "Why don't we wait here a while...see what happens..."
    The member formaly known as Jason

2. LV426

LV426
    Administrator Staff Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5,067
    I've had the R1 item for some time. Agree with your comments on the LD package. The R1 DVD has a sexy metallic sleeve liner.

I'd consider the R1 DVD to be an excellent, demonstration quality transfer. I wonder if the R2 version suffers from the same problem as The Abyss. It has been suggested that this has suffered from a NTSC-PAL video standards conversion, rather than being freshly transfered for PAL.

The R1 has an excellent soundtrack (DD5.1). If you're lacking in dynamics, compared to the LD, are you sure your DVD player, or Amplifier hasn't got some Dynamic Range limiter switched on?

3. Jenz

Jenz

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Got to agree with Nigel, I think the R1 is stunning and have no issues with Audio or Video. In fact I recommend is as one of the Top 10 Action DVDs you should own.

Neil.

------------------
    Webmaster,
    Bullets n Babes DVDs

4. MacReady

MacReady

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I so wish Fox had used the simple black design with the ID4 logo for the DVD release...it would have been much nicer! As far as the R2 packaging goes then I s'pose it is ok. I kinda like the cardboard sleeves that Fox have been using.

I have been reading about the R2 version of the Abyss, and even though that movie is not Anamorphic I too wonder if the R2 pressing of ID4 is suffering from a bad NTSC-PAL conversion?

I may have given the wrong impression about the sound on the R2 DVD. It is not that bad , and def not as bad as many I have heard.
    I think it is just another case of LD proving home much better it could be on sound compared to DVD. I am used to listening to the SE LD and I think the difference in sound quality from that to the R2 is just a bit of a suprise to me (allthough I have some DVD's which dont sound THAT different to their NTSC LD equivalents)

------------------

5. desade

desade

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I remember when fox released the first widescreen tapes.
    Fuzzy NTSC transfers of the Star Wars trilogy, Die Hard and Alien which pleased no-one in particular.

Looks like they still have not learned their lesson.

6. Mr.D

Mr.D

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,149
    Region1 is very good quality wise.
    Film is as vomit inducing as ever.

7. Confucius

Confucius

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +90
    Each to their own, I suggest.

8. MacReady

MacReady

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Well I like the movie (as most of you know I like nothing better than sitting down and watching a good no brainer action movie..lol).

Has anyone seen any reviews of the R2 pressing of this movie?
    I would be interested to see if it is just me who is not happy with how it looks.

------------------

9. GarethH

GarethH
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    I have the Region One version and the picture and sound are simply stunning. Very sharp and clear. Then maybe there is a problem with the Region Two version.

I have a friend who has it so i'll let you know if i notice any difference.