1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

ID4 from CD-WOW!

Discussion in 'Movie Forum' started by cliveg, Jul 12, 2004.

1. cliveg

cliveg

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    Hi,

I've just purchased Independence Day: Special Edition (DTS) R2 from CD-WOW! and cannot get DTS. All the packaging states DTS, but I cannot select it...all my other DTS DVD's give me the option in the audio settings on the disc to select DD 5.1 or DTS. This disc only gives me 5.1...am I doing something wrong?? :confused:

Thanks for any advice,

Clive G

2. brifobwad

brifobwad
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    If you have the DTS disk, the selection for English DTS in the Language Selection menu on the first page.

3. cliveg

cliveg

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    Thanks...but I've been there. The only selection is DD 5.1 plus the different languages. I've tried selecting the "theatrical version" as well as the "special version" and the language page only states DD5.1. I'm confused! The only thing I can think of is they've put the wrong disk in?!?

Cheers,

Clive G

4. Simon6776

Simon6776

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +33
    Have you tried switching soundtracks with the Audio Options on your DVD player, once the film is playing? This will at least show if there's a DTS soundtrack on it, even if you can't find it in the menus.

5. WILD9

WILD9

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    I got this dvd the other day and i havnt got round to watching it properly yet but when i had a first look i noticed there was no sign of a dts option either in the menu or the dvd players soundtrack selection. Seems odd for re release of a film whose major selling point is a DTS soundtrack.

6. WILD9

WILD9

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    just got back from work and gave it a proper look, no sign of DTS whatever track is playing the DTS light on my reciever stays off.

7. Indiana Jones

Indiana Jones

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5,904
    Just a little question, does the disc give you the option to watch either the Theatrical or Special Edition release of the film at the start as the new release only has the Special Edition. If you get given the above options then you have the original release which has no DTS.

8. bobbles

bobbles

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I am not sure if this is related but I can not find any sign of independence day at cd-wow

Although this could be me

9. brifobwad

brifobwad
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    It is quite possible they have sent you the wrong disk. The UPC number ( barcode ) is the same for both versions. The DTS version has a preview of The Day After Tomorrow on it. If you can't find it on your disk then you have the original version. I have both versions and bought the DTS version for £7.99 in Game's sale.

10. cliveg

cliveg

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    Thanks to all of you who replied...it's appreciated.

Hi, Indiana Jones...I have the version with theatrical and special versions...so I guess I've got the original. :rolleyes:

It's a bit misleading though, cos they put the DTS logo on the package!

I mailed CD_WOW! about the problem...they've offered a full refund as they don't have any more in stock (this probably answers your question, bobbles), and they're gonna send an SAE for me to send it back. :thumbsup:

To be honest, the DD 5.1 soundtrack sounded pretty good...does anyone think the DTS would be worth having?

Cheers again,

Clive G

11. WILD9

WILD9

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    That would explain it then, It was advertised as DTS on CD-WOW as in my order history it reads Independence day special edition (DTS). They obviously put the wrong disks in during production or something, still, i wont be sending mine back this review seems to think theres nothing between the 2 soundtracks so thats good enough for me especially as it was cheaper than anywhere else. Still its a black mark in CD-Wow's book, I expect to recieve what i order even if it is cheap.

12. bobbles

bobbles

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I've not seen the extended edition but if the additional scenes do not add anything of interest I would stick with the version you have as the DTS version does not contain the theatrical cut.

13. BrunnenMatt

BrunnenMatt

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    This new DTS track is something very special indeed.

From the opening credit sequence (which envelopes you beautifully), to the powerful rumbles from the sub as the aliens pass over the moon, to the point where they park themselves over the major cities, you know you’re in for an aural delight.

And then, they attack.

In what can only be described as a “holy sh*t” moment, the initial blast from the first attack should (if you have some decent audio equipment) shake the very foundation of your home. But it’s not just power and volume where this DTS soundtrack excels, the clarity and separation is exquisite throughout.

The score from David Arnold tends to get a little overpowering at times but that’s to be expected for a film of this type. Needless to say, both audio tracks make it sound fantastic.

Surround use is frequent and close to perfection while the subwoofer hardly gets a break.

It really boils down to this, if you aren’t DTS capable, Independence Day sounds utterly brilliant. If you are, you are in for one of the best audio experiences DVD can offer.

http://www.dvdbits.com/reviews.asp?id=2172

Hope this might help ...BMatt