• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

Icy box NAS 4220

PHTC

Standard Member
Hi All

Apologies if this is in the wrong area, I was toying between network and Hard drives.

I'm considering buying an icy box NAS 4220 for use on my home network, the idea being to install twonkymedia to stream audio/video to my PS3 with an aim to upgrading to a mac mini with plex connecting to this for the future.

I am however on a budget so didnt want to go all out and buy 2 1tb drives etc straight away. I already have a 300gb sata which I intend to put in there so my question is as follows

• Does the 4220 need 2 HDD in it to work or can it function with just 1
  • If it can work with just one will it be a simple case of adding another to expand the capacity (not using RAID, using JBOD) without losing any data, reformatting etc
Any advice would be great.

Thanks

PHTC

Standard Member
Thanks, i've already had a read through that review but everywhere else i've looked seems to rate it quite highly, transfer speeds aren't too essential to me as I will be mostly streaming video (not high def) I just want storage that will be accessible from anywhere in the house hence the nas route.

Anyone else had any experience with this as I don't want to write it off based on one bad review.

The latest video from AVForums

Guardians of the Galaxy Xmas Special, Strange World, Bones and All, and Cabinet of Dr Caligari in 4K
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom