Icons and Iconic things of our life time ?

signs

Ex Member
Reaction score
Chatting to the wife last night ,and we got on to Iconic people of our time that will stand the test of time similar to Shakespeare.

I came up with Pam Ayres , Nelson Mandela and the Ipod/pc :rolleyes:

Last edited:
Pam Ayres :rotfl:

Go on then, I'll have a bash;

Internet and Bill Gates will definitely stand the test of time, imo, even more so than our monarchy :eek:

Totally world changing.

The Beatles?

Could be seen in the same way we see Beethoven now, in a few hundred years time, although it's debatable.

:laugh: Pam was very tongue in cheek :rolleyes: :laugh:

i wonder if they will be talking about Elvis in a few hundred years time ?

i wonder if they will be talking about Elvis in a few hundred years time ?

Same as the Beatles, who knows?

It might be there for researchers, but not massive, imo.

Having had a think, it's got to be transmission of sound (radio), transmission of video (telly) and then transmission of both, freely available around the world (internet).

But then, the first two don't apply in our lifetimes :suicide:

The way we fought wars in this century would probably figure.

I'd guess any form of space exploration has to be in there too.

It's a bloody good question mate :smashin:

Icons of our time...

William Shatner
Johnny Depp
35mm Film

Chatting to the wife last night ,and we go on to Iconic people of our time that will stand the test of time similar to Shakespeare.

I came up with Pam Ayres , Nelson Mandela and the Ipod/pc :rolleyes:

Out of interest, what did the gaffer suggest?

Preliminary brain storm - Bruce Lee, StarWars, Mobile Phones, PC's, Video Gaming

Here's one that will upset a few... David Beckham. Love or loathe, he is an icon in the footballing and celebrity worlds, which are big parts of modern life (I hate celebrity culture).

Then Richard Branson and Bill Gates for their impact on the business world and innovation, especially if Branson doesn't kill everyone he is trying to take to space.

Things... The Dyson vacuum cleaner is a very good shout. It's iconic IMO for it's innovation and for challenging typical ways of doing things in it's market. But for me, the iPod wins overall.

Here's one that will upset a few... David Beckham. Love or loathe, he is an icon in the footballing and celebrity worlds, which are big parts of modern life (I hate celebrity culture).

Then Richard Branson and Bill Gates for their impact on the business world and innovation, especially if Branson doesn't kill everyone he is trying to take to space.

Things... The Dyson vacuum cleaner is a very good shout. It's iconic IMO for it's innovation and for challenging typical ways of doing things in it's market. But for me, the iPod wins overall.

Totally disagree.

England winning the WC is miles bigger than Beckham, who's very much a thing of our recent history.
Comparisons?
Hmm...Mary Quant?

Branson?... Howard Hughes?

Dyson, just no.
It's a variant of a vacuum cleaner, come on :laugh:

Preliminary brain storm - Bruce Lee, StarWars, Mobile Phones, PC's, Video Gaming

Video gaming i can see ,not so sure we will be talking about Star wars ,but who knows ? :)

Beckham !!!!! :)

Mobile Phones

I can live with that suggestion :smashin:

That was certainly life changing to me.

And is probably the forerunner of how we're going to do things in the future.

Sound, Video and Internet all rolled into one, with much more to come, imo.

Just guessing though :)

Going back to this, it's quite interesting that people seem to feature highly in your choices.

All are linked to money/profit too.

Hmm :)

I would agree with above comments.

Despite them not being unique as devices, I'm afraid the iPod and iPhone will be iconic devices.

As for things that had the most effect/change on out lives.

The Internet and the Mobile Phone.

Without doubt THE biggest changes to our daily lives.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom