ICO / Shadow Of The Colossus

Rasczak

Distinguished Member
Just completed Shadow Of The Colossus - what a fantastic game :thumbsup:

I notice on the disc there is a trailer for ICO - is this a similar game type to Shadow Of The Colossus? Is it worth buying?

kahunaav

Just completed Shadow Of The Colossus - what a fantastic game :thumbsup:

I notice on the disc there is a trailer for ICO - is this a similar game type to Shadow Of The Colossus? Is it worth buying?

I think its pretty similar, I played ICO a couple of times, you have a girl following you and you have to work out how to get out of rooms etc, bit of a platform/puzzle game

I think it came out before shadow, info here http://www.icothegame.com/en_GB/index.htm

Tejstar

Distinguished Member
ICO is one of my favourite games of all time, it plays at a sedate pace, against the grain of most modern games which is why some people criticised it. It's a very short game, you can complete it in 6/7 hours, however I took the whole journey very slowly. It was one of the few games that actually gives you an emotional attachment to Yorda (the girl you help to escape from the castle). As you can tell I loved it and I think all gamers should play the game at least once.

Shadow Of The Colossus is the spiritual successor to ICO, although it is not a sequel outright. I've not played it yet, but hope to soon.

Rasczak

Distinguished Member
Shadow Of The Colossus is the spiritual successor to ICO, although it is not a sequel outright. I've not played it yet, but hope to soon.
Shadow Of The Colossus is excellent Tejstar - I honestly can't recommend it enough. Infact I'm prepared to say it's the best console game I've ever played. I absolutely hate boss fights in games and accordingly, despite the glowing recommends from everyone, this game has sat on my shelf untouched for ages. The only thing that got me to play it was my plans to dispose of my PS2 - but after my first colossus fight I was hooked! :eek:

The story is slimline until you get to the end - and then all is explained in the final scenes. The colossus fights are great although a few less would have avoided repetition. But certainly it is a great game.

I intend to go ICO hunting later this week.

Tetlee

Distinguished Member
ICO is one of my favourite games of all time

Mine too, without a doubt one of the finest games ever to grace the PS2 and I would go as far as to say by far my favourite game on the console.

For some reason I just couldn't get into SoC, had a similar art style but a very different game IMO.

Would recommend ICO to anyone, beautifully crafted & totally unique game, maybe short but I would have to rate it 10/10 as it would almost be an insult not to!

Definitively would be in my all time top 10 games list.

Singh400

Distinguished Member
It was the other way round for me. I absolutely loved SotC but I couldn't get into ICO. Perhaps it was because I bought SotC first and then ICO later on?

Anyhoo, it doesn't matter my sisters loved the game (ICO). And they didn't play SotC because I wouldn't let them :D

Tejstar

Distinguished Member
Shadow Of The Colossus is excellent Tejstar - I honestly can't recommend it enough. Infact I'm prepared to say it's the best console game I've ever played. I absolutely hate boss fights in games and accordingly, despite the glowing recommends from everyone, this game has sat on my shelf untouched for ages. The only thing that got me to play it was my plans to dispose of my PS2 - but after my first colossus fight I was hooked! :eek:

The story is slimline until you get to the end - and then all is explained in the final scenes. The colossus fights are great although a few less would have avoided repetition. But certainly it is a great game.

I intend to go ICO hunting later this week.
I've also had it sitting waiting to be played for ages. I really have to play it sometime soon, especially as it's made by the same team that made ICO.

I was going to start playing it on the PS3 although I started to hear horror stories that the save games would disappear on certain games half way through. That gave me the jitters, so I'm holding off until I connect the PS2 again!

mickus66

I've also had it sitting waiting to be played for ages. I really have to play it sometime soon, especially as it's made by the same team that made ICO.

I was going to start playing it on the PS3 although I started to hear horror stories that the save games would disappear on certain games half way through. That gave me the jitters, so I'm holding off until I connect the PS2 again!

Hang that head in shame! :eek:

IRC, the game save system allows for 16 saves. 16 clossusi. Shouldn't be a problem as at worst you'll only lose one save/clossusi.

Damn you. I'm going have to test this theory now. I really ain't got the time to play through this for the 4th time....Grrrr. :devil:

As for the OP. Get ICO. It's just a lovely game. Nuff said.

Tejstar

Distinguished Member
IRC, the game save system allows for 16 saves. 16 clossusi. Shouldn't be a problem as at worst you'll only lose one save/clossusi.

It wasn't the space that I was concerned about, I've heard of a few people that have had their saves corrupting i.e. losing everything half way through on some PS2 games. That just scares me as I don't have time to spare as it is, I would hate it if I spent quite a few hours and then had to start again! :thumbsdow

mickus66

Time is precious - appreciated.

You misunderstand me.

After you have defeated a colossi, it ask you if you want to save it. The save system allows for 16 individual save files - you would be damn unlucky to have each file corrupt on you.

Stop dragging your feet. Load the games up and enjoy in 720p-ness. That's an order! :D

easycure

I've only just started playing SotC this week. It was only 14 quid in Woolies, so at that price I thought it was worth a flutter - http://www.woolworths.co.uk/web/jsp/product/index.jsp?pid=50545180

It felt so wrong killing the first collosi. I mean, it was just minding it's own business. I hope later on in the game they turn into right vicious gits, so I don't feel quite so bad next time.

I could happily spend hours just wandering around, taking in the environment and soaking up the atmosphere. It's a truly magical game that has me constantly enthralled. The sense of loneliness and desolation as you ride around on horseback with just the wind and the musical score for company give the game a quality that is hauntingly beautiful.

After a long, stressful day at work, losing yourself in this for a few hours is a perfect way to relax.

D

Deleted member 65413

I thought ICO was a masterpiece of gaming.

SoTC on the other hand?

Meh!

Fifty

SOTC is my second favourite PS2 game of all time (behind Pro Evo).

Am I right in thinking the 'chamber' where you start back after every Colossus was somehow climable ???

I'm sure I read it somewhere, and yet spent hours trying, and failing, to do so.

Ico.

Both ICO and SOTC are fantastic games and there are no other games like them. I'd happily place both games in my all time top 5.

Good to see the re-release of Ico as there wasn't many about then with slow sales it disappeared for a while. Luckily I bought the Limited editions with art cards as soon as they were released.:smashin:

Singh400

Distinguished Member
SOTC is my second favourite PS2 game of all time (behind Pro Evo).

Am I right in thinking the 'chamber' where you start back after every Colossus was somehow climable ???

I'm sure I read it somewhere, and yet spent hours trying, and failing, to do so.
Yeah it's climable. It go on for ages (as in height), and your circle thing needs to be really big for you to get to the top.

Tejstar

Distinguished Member
Time is precious - appreciated.

You misunderstand me.

After you have defeated a colossi, it ask you if you want to save it. The save system allows for 16 individual save files - you would be damn unlucky to have each file corrupt on you.

Stop dragging your feet. Load the games up and enjoy in 720p-ness. That's an order! :D
Oh I see! :blush:

Singh400

Distinguished Member
Ahhh well, it's gone from my collection now.

Just hope I didn't miss anything much ????
**** knows mate, I could never make it - my circle thingy wasn't big enough. So I didn't have enough stamina to make it to the top. It's a LONG LONG way up.

From what I've read, theres a secret garden at the top with all kinds of special fruit.

Rasczak

Distinguished Member
Well...armed with an intention to buy ICO I travelled 30 miles into Glasgow city centre (by train!) to get it. Unfortunately it seems to have become something of an exclusive collectors item.

Quite big city, bound to have it somewhere I thought. Did it :censored: Started off in Virgin - nothing - neither did the 'other' Virgin store. They didn't have it either, neither did the HMV next door nor the Currys opposite or Woolworths! So I walked all the way to the other end of the shopping zone and tried Game and then Gamestation. Nothing! Argghhh!

Ended up travelling 30 miles back home empty handed and brought from Amazon instead :rolleyes:

Tejstar

Distinguished Member
That's quite strange, I knew it used to be quite hard to find but it had a reprint when Shadow Of The Colossus came out. Therefore I thought it would pretty much be in plentiful supply!

Singh400

Distinguished Member
Well...armed with an intention to buy ICO I travelled 30 miles into Glasgow city centre (by train!) to get it. Unfortunately it seems to have become something of an exclusive collectors item.

Quite big city, bound to have it somewhere I thought. Did it :censored: Started off in Virgin - nothing - neither did the 'other' Virgin store. They didn't have it either, neither did the HMV next door nor the Currys opposite or Woolworths! So I walked all the way to the other end of the shopping zone and tried Game and then Gamestation. Nothing! Argghhh!

Ended up travelling 30 miles back home empty handed and brought from Amazon instead :rolleyes:
Just order it online mate.

http://www.find-games.co.uk/ps2/B00005UJSY.htm

Looks like Asda online is your best bet.

Rob B

Currently playing through SotC for the first time and loving it so far <3

3 Colossi down at the moment - the first two were pretty big but the 3rd is huge! Can only hope they get bigger :D

As I'm playing on a US PS3, I can't just go out and buy ICO, but I'll get it soon enough (wasn't in stock anywhere when I was in the states). After SotC though, I have FFXII and God of War 2 to get through \o/

sh18

im currently playing ICO at the moment, only got my PS2 a few months ago so trying to catch up on the classics/hidden gems, gotta say im loving it so far, makes a change from all the endless FPS games on the 360, is it just me or does the sound of the wind make you feel cold :eek:

im at the waterfall section, not sure how far im into it at the moment but its great to just pick up and play for an hour or so.

The latest video from AVForums

LG CX Best Picture Settings
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Latest News

Samsung rumoured to be buying OLED TV panels from LG Display
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
Netflix signs with Sony for first streaming rights in U.S.
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
Audio Pro launches C10 MkII speaker
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
THX launches Onyx MQA supporting DAC/Amplifier
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
Cambridge Audio introduces Evo all-in-one audio system
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published

Full fat HDMI teeshirts