Question iCloud Drive, anyone use it?

Veni Vidi Vici

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'm wondering if its worth signing up for iCloud Drive. I currently have an external backup drive but I appreciate they aren't full proof and can fail. Does the iCloud Drive save everything on your phone and Mac? I know there are other services available but I have a few Apple products and that seems the logical route to go.

Any advice appreciated.

It saves everything in the cloud like before, but now it saves other documents and files too so they are accessible on all your Apple devices. I have resisted the urge to change to an iCloud Drive account, I don't really need it. I have a 50GB Dropbox account and a 50GB Mega account, I really don't need any more storage!

Yes there seems to be cheaper alternatives but I guess iCloud will work better across Apple devices (Mac, iPad and iPhone). Saying all that I'm still in two minds about storing photos and personal docs in the cloud.

Yes there seems to be cheaper alternatives but I guess iCloud will work better across Apple devices (Mac, iPad and iPhone). Saying all that I'm still in two minds about storing photos and personal docs in the cloud.
I've mentioned this on threads like this before but i use a combination of cloud drives just with what you get for free to backup and make various things available across all devices.

They all have apps for iPhone\iPad, a web portal for any web connected PC or you can install the application on your PC to have a drive for them which then syncs with the cloud version. This means i'm pretty much covered across my iDevices, home laptop and work PC for things.

I've not paid for any additional storage and get 5.4Gb with Dropbox for my personal main use drive, 30Gb with OneDrive that i use with the camera backup in their app to back up photos with my iDevices, 50Gb with Box through some sign up link i found on HotDealsUK thats used to back up photos stored on the laptop from the digital camera and then 15Gb with Google Drive thats used to for the My Documents folder on the home laptop.

This means the 5Gb from iCloud is used for backing up the other halves iPhone. I dont really use Pages, Numbers, Keyword even though we have them on the laptop but the new updated versions of Word and Excel allow basic editing as well as connecting to both OneDrive and Dropbox.

I've mentioned this on threads like this before but i use a combination of cloud drives just with what you get for free to backup and make various things available across all devices.

They all have apps for iPhone\iPad, a web portal for any web connected PC or you can install the application on your PC to have a drive for them which then syncs with the cloud version. This means i'm pretty much covered across my iDevices, home laptop and work PC for things.

I've not paid for any additional storage and get 5.4Gb with Dropbox for my personal main use drive, 30Gb with OneDrive that i use with the camera backup in their app to back up photos with my iDevices, 50Gb with Box through some sign up link i found on HotDealsUK thats used to back up photos stored on the laptop from the digital camera and then 15Gb with Google Drive thats used to for the My Documents folder on the home laptop.

This means the 5Gb from iCloud is used for backing up the other halves iPhone. I dont really use Pages, Numbers, Keyword even though we have them on the laptop but the new updated versions of Word and Excel allow basic editing as well as connecting to both OneDrive and Dropbox.

Thanks. I use iPhoto on my Mac for my photos, can other cloud services backup from iPhoto or do you need to use other photo software?

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom