iCloud and Docs - confused

simon12

I am completely confused - yesterday I added the 50gb option to my iCloud account as I was running out of space for phone backups and photos.
On my MBA, I now have all the docs in iCloud which I do not want. I want them as they were - sitting on my laptop's hard drive and nowhere else. If I go into Settings - Apple ID - iCloud Drive and click options, I can untick the Docs BUT I get warned that by doing this, items are removed fromt he desktop and docs folder on this Mac and will remain available in iCloud drive. This is not what I want.

And if I create a new doc, it stores automatically in the iCloud drive.

In simple terms, how do I use iCloud to allow storage of pics, backups and a few other random things - BUT NOT my docs???

D

Deleted member 27989

Drag your docs from iCloud to a local folder 👍

simon12

Drag your docs from iCloud to a local folder 👍
I have done that, so now it's duplicated. But I am now wanting to not have them also in iCloud.

So if I go to Settings - Apple ID and then click on Options next to iCloud Drive:
Desktop & Document Folders is ticked. If I do the logical thing and untick that, I get a warning: "If you continue, items will be removed from the Desktop and the Documents folder ON THIS MAC and will remain available in iCloud Drive".

I can't see how it can erase stuff from my physical Hard Drivce, but that's what the warning says to me.

So where do I go from here?

outoftheknow

Are you sure you are reading the warning correctly? Articles about iCloud Drive in a search say (this one from Macworld)

“ Moving and sharing iCloud Drive files​

iCloud Drive lets you move files between your Mac and the cloud. There are two ways to do this. The first is to simply move a file in the Finder. When you do this, the Finder displays a dialog, warning you that when you move it to your Mac it will be deleted from your iCloud Drive.

The other way to move a file is from within an app itself. If you have a file open and you want to move it between your Mac and iCloud Drive, choose File > Move To, and then select a location. The file will be moved but you won’t be warned about it being deleted from your iCloud Drive.”

If you move it by copying and pasting you end up with copies on the Mac and in the cloud.

Personally I would move one file as per method 1 above and see what happens. If it goes to the cloud and disappears from the Mac, it is seconds to download it back again. Like you I can’t see it happening the way your warning says unless there are settings to n iCloud Drive at play.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 27989

I have done that, so now it's duplicated. But I am now wanting to not have them also in iCloud.

So if I go to Settings - Apple ID and then click on Options next to iCloud Drive:
Desktop & Document Folders is ticked. If I do the logical thing and untick that, I get a warning: "If you continue, items will be removed from the Desktop and the Documents folder ON THIS MAC and will remain available in iCloud Drive".

I can't see how it can erase stuff from my physical Hard Drivce, but that's what the warning says to me.

So where do I go from here?
Because it synchronises with the iCloud just like a network drive at work does. Therefore when you remove them from iCloud they are removed wherever they are; in the cloud, on your local synchronised drive, even on your iPhone and tablet files systems.

Hence I said, move them to a local drive, naturally outside of the iCloud synchronised file system, and as you say you have them duplicated you can safely remove them from iCloud.

simon12

OK - sorted now. Did as suggested and it worked, thank goodness. I think Mac really need to look at how they word things as the warning really makes it look like you're going to lose everything at first glance!

Thanks for the help.

The latest video from AVForums

Sony Bravia XR A80J OLED TV Review
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom