1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Ichi

Discussion in 'Movie Forum' started by Fatti, Mar 7, 2003.

1. Fatti

Fatti

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +40
    I read a message recently regarding the cutting of the region 2 version of Ichi The Killer. I notice that discemporium have a Ichi the Killer 2-disc uncut Region 0 (well region 0 under the search results and region 1 under details).

Is this really the full uncut version? It says it has a running time of 123 minutes, but the BBFC website says the R2 version they've cut is 125 minutes.

2. Drunken Master

Drunken Master

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    Movietyme are selling the R2 Dutch uncut version for £25.99.

After watching this film I think one of my mates need counselling

3. Shoka

Shoka

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +239
    I got the Uncut 2 disc version this morning from HKFlix although it took while to get here. The running time is 124 minutes.

4. WBC

WBC

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    What's this about??? Never heard of it!!!

Stace :D

5. Shoka

Shoka

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +239
  6. Fatti

Fatti

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +40
    Thanks Shoka. The differences, although slight, in running times are a bit confusing. The discemporium version is the 2-disc region 1 version and it does say 'uncut'.

Although I dont use Sazuma anymore, they also have the 2-disc uncut version with a running time of 123 mins. They also have the R3 version with a running time of 126 mins.

Now I am confused.

Jon:confused:

7. Shoka

Shoka

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +239
    Remember running times are only approximate. The one that I have is the 2 disc Dutch version and I believe it is the only fully uncut version. Due to over sexualy violent scenes.

8. Fatti

Fatti

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +40
    Maybe I am reading too much in these running times. Keep forgetting that NTSC and PAL running times are slightly different. Maybe I'll just order it and not worry.

9. Shoka

Shoka

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +239
    What version are you going to order? I have an official Universe laser VCD with no use now I have the DVD. if you want to buy it, to give it a try.

10. Fatti

Fatti

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +40
    Quite tempted by the HKFlix version now that you've mentioned it. How long did it take to arrive, and are there any customs issues? I couldn't see from their site whereabouts they were based.

11. Shoka

Shoka

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +239
    They are in the states, from date of order my DVD arrived on the 17th day after I ordered it. There is a section on the order form for "additional information" just ask them to mark it as a gift and a low value and they will, mine was valued as $5 and marked as a CD gift so no customs. Ive got another 2 Anime DVD's on order with them and they are doing the same with them.

12. Fatti

Fatti

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +40
    Shoka, many thanks for your help with this. Could I just ask you, which one of the shipping menthods did you use? I don't want to use the really expensive one - Domestic Express - if the standard or even economy will do.

13. Shoka

Shoka

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +239
    International standard - £3.50 per DVD (i think)

14. Fatti

Fatti

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +40
    Nice one. Again, many thanks for all your input and answering my boring questions

15. encaser

encaser

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +112
    I got the uncut version through today and plan on watching it tonight, so perhaps another person heading for the shrinks couch:eek: :laugh:

16. Fatti

Fatti

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +40
    Encaser, where did you get yours from out of interest. On Shoka's recommendation, I think I'll go for the HKflix version. Originally, I was going to get it from the film website, but it says due out in January/February this year, but still says "coming soon"

17. encaser

encaser

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +112
    Fatti, you may as well go with Shoka's suggestion as he sais it's ok and the place I got mine from is saying out of stock.

Well I watched it earlier and can see why it got edits-a-plenty in its other various guises. This is definitely not for anyone who can't bare to see torture, rape and general brutality. It's, unsurprisingly, an oddity in the use of extreme violence as defined in terms of purity, true love and passion. Overall though the story is a variation on the theme of puppet master with masochists and sadists trading places with both un/ease. And Ichi isn't exactly the hero who cries a tear. Moreover, he isn't the lead character who we really follow in the main.
    It would be wrong to say that the story is without humour but be assured it's all black. It's bizarre, funny and disturbingly clever in it's twist of why what is what. To say this is not for the squeemish (horrid pseudo ballsy term) is wrong because there will be plenty who are far from it but would still prefer not to view such imagery.
    I liked the film but did get the feeling once or twice that it drifted a little inbetween the carnage. Though in short I'd say; boom, bam, God damn!

18. Fatti

Fatti

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +40
    Encaser, thanks for the comments. I did end up ordering it last night from HKflix. Waited until the wife wasn't looking though, although no doubt she'll watch it as well. Not really sure what has drawn me to want to watch this. It does sound like it was a good excuse to include material that was more than likely to offend even those, such as myself, who enjoy a good gross-out film. I know a couple who couldn't finish watching Peter Jacksons Braindead, but we found it quite a good laugh. Each to there own.

19. Hawklord

Hawklord

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +257
    I've had the region 3 version a while now- completely uncut and a bargain at hk43 at coolashop.com. I hope you've all got a bucket close at hand or the constitution of an ox while watching it - Audition has nothing on some of the imagery in this flick.The far east have certainly out done themselves with this one. I see that hollywood are now using a lot of japanese source material to inject some life into thir dull and terged themes.

20. Hawklord

Hawklord

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +257
    If you like "itchi" give Visitor Q a go ( also by Takashi Miike)- well weird. I doubt it'll get past any of the wests censors what with necerophilia and all.

21. Shoka

Shoka

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +239
    The R3 Universe Laser release has about 3/4 mins cut from it. The dutch R2 is the only version that is totaly uncut.

22. Fatti

Fatti

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +40
    The R3 DVD version from coolashop has a running time of 114 mins as opposed to the Dutch R2 version - 124 mins. Unless there's a region speed difference of 10 minutes, sounds like this version is cut.

23. Shoka

Shoka

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +239
    Just finished watching the dutch one and there are some extra bits in it to the R3 (I own both)

24. Rambo John J

Rambo John J

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +860
    That's right. The R3 version has had massive edits to it that render the story a confused mess. Once you take in the 4% speed-up of PAL you'll see the R3 version's shorter by approximately 14 minutes - all of it either gore or sexual violence that's, funnily enough, quite important to the story.

Just for the record, there's no R1 version on the cards for release yet although I believe Media Blasters have picked it up, and any R0 versions are bootlegs from the Jap disc with home made subtitles. The only official releases are the Dutch R2, the Jap R2 (without subtitles) and the castrated R3 versions. The truncated UK release should be coming in May - it'll be less cut than the R3 but it's lost just about all of the sexual violence

25. Hawklord

Hawklord

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +257
    Lord Know's what the uncut version is like. The R3 version I had seemed well gross- that's why I thought it was uncut. Shoka
    what are the benefits of purchasing the uncut version. Is it worth forking out for another adition of the same film?

26. Shoka

Shoka

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +239
    That all depends on whether you mind watching hacked up films?

Personally I got it as I was just interested in what was cut, but in my opinion it makes the film more understandable.

27. Fatti

Fatti

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +40
    From my point of view, one of the benefits of the uncut version is that you get to decide what to watch and not what someone else thinks you should watch.

28. Rambo John J

Rambo John J

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +860
    The way they cut the HK version was wholesale slaughter of the narrative. There was no consideration for the story, at least in the UK the BBFC would say "you've got to cut that shot, that shot and that shot", where as with the HK version it was a case of "we don't like that bit so the whole 2 minute section either side of it can go too, including all the dialogue contained in it". There was no logic in the way the HK censors hacked it up, rendering the whole film incoherent in the extreme. Also, it was bizarre that some of the gore/sexual violence removed from the HK version was actually softer than the bits they left untouched. It was almost as if whoever was in charge handed the film to an editor and said "you've got to remove 13 minutes. I don't care how you do it or what you take out, just cut 13 minutes" and so along with violence gore etc you lost quite lengthy bits of dialogue too.

29. bobbles

bobbles

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    the UK region 2 is out next week

anyone know how badly it has been cut?

30. bobbles

bobbles

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted: