1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

ICE with USB connection & MP3 player - HELP!

Discussion in 'ICE, Sat Navs & Dash Cams Forum' started by blackmanalishi, Jun 2, 2005.

1. blackmanalishi

blackmanalishi

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi all,

I recently bought an Elta 7538 (www.elta.de) car stereo which has CD, radio, an SD/MMC slot and a USB 2.0 interface, which it claims can be used to link to mp3 players.

I also bought a Creative Labs Zen Touch 40GB mp3 player (similar to iPod and also USB 2.0 like the Elta), but when I connect it to the Elta I don't get any sound (in fact it doesn't acknowledge the presence of the mp3 player at all). The SD slot, CD and radio all work fine so I don't think either product is defective.

Anyone got any ideas? I can't see how my mp3 player is much different to most, so I think it should work in theory... I've had no joy when trying to contact Elta either as they don't respond to e-mails. :mad:

HELP! :lease:

Cheers

2. blackmanalishi

blackmanalishi

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
  3. mikeblanche

mikeblanche

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Ello

I think your problem is that the Zen doesn't behave as a USB mass storage device - you have to install a driver on your PC for it to recognise the device, don't you? You can't just plug it into XP and have XP recognise it as a "hard drive"?

The Elta probably recognises anything that works as USB mass storage, but obviously it doesn't have drivers loaded for proprietary stuff like the Zen jukebox (or the iPod which I think is another one that doesn't do USB mass storage)

So unfortunately you need a different MP3 player I think. :-(

Mike

4. jonbd

jonbd

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +14
    I guess if you have one of those cheapo usb pen drives that shows up as a mass storage device you could see if that works as a problem solving excercise. I was interested in one of these myself, but I have a zen so looks like it's not going to be suitable!

5. blackmanalishi

blackmanalishi

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks very much guys. I don't have an alternative mp3 player at the moment but if I get one I'll let everyone know how I get on... still worth the money even without this to be honest, as the SD slot is great (my Smartphone has a 1GB SD card with loads of music in so it's perfect), the functions work fine, and it only cost £57 on ebay.