ICE cars to go by 2030

There are infrastructure hurdles to jump, in all of this.

So lets suggest all ICE's are gone by 2040, and those that still need a car, the only choice is ev. Fine if you own a property with a driveway that you can charge your vehicle overnight etc; but so will you neighbour and your neighbours neighbour etc. Course, with a two or three car family, there's that additional issue for the National Grid.

Those without a drive, but have on street parking, will need to have charger cables across the pavement, lets not worry ourselves with parking on the footpath anymore. Pedestrians & peoples with disabilities, will just have to be more careful.

Those that live in flats etc, will have access to public car parks with chargers. My local council has just announced, that it intends to install some chargers in one of our local free car parks, which is marvellous news. Thing is, this car park is rammed full at the best of times, so your unlikely to be able to pop in there, and find a single free charging space.

The only way for this issue to be resolved, is like we are currently able to pop into our local petrol/diesel station and fill up with fuel in a few minutes, we need to be able to do the same thing at our local electric station, and top up our ev batteries in a few minutes.

I'm sure it will be resolved, but its going to take some doing.

I don't doubt it. Precisely because many of those people can't break away from the ICE refuelling pattern mindset and for no other reason. Yes, there will be some genuine cases. Most are, I suspect, not as genuine as they think. We have only ever had one car in the household; but for a few months after taking the EV plunge, we held on to the old diesel - just in case - but committed ourselves to trying to use the EV wherever possible. And we found - through use (and not through any convincing by others) that it does in fact work. After not actually ever needing to use it for 8 months or so, we sold the diesel and have never looked back.
Out of interest which EV do you own?

Hyundai Ioniq - updated 38.3kWh model. We had the 1st generation one - that's the one I refer to vs. the "old diesel" with a ~130 mile range. Traded up last Nov.

...we need to be able to do the same thing at our local electric station, and top up our ev batteries in a few minutes.

I'm sure it will be resolved, but its going to take some doing.
'Electric stations' can be much more common than petrol stations - there aren't the environmental, fire, underground tank issues for planning to deal with and no staffing/sales kiosk required, so smaller plots can be utilised.

Maybe housing developers could be forward-thinking and estates could have a drop-off point by every front door but also a secure covered common garage nearby where every households' three or four EVs park for charging.

Funnily enough the hold outs don't realise how much of a pain it is to go and fill up at a Petrol station once you are used to plugging in at Home, Office, KFC (just opened near us), Shopping Centres etc

In general I think there just needs to be charging stations at every car parking space, even if they are only 7kw. If people can see them they will start to understand how convenient they are and will probably want a vehicle that uses them, be it hybrid or electric.

We have some (4) in our local ASDA shopping centre, but as per the frank and open discussions on our local community forum most people see them as premium parking spots as they are near the entrance and not as charging points for EVs.

Those without a drive, but have on street parking, will need to have charger cables across the pavement, lets not worry ourselves with parking on the footpath anymore. Pedestrians & peoples with disabilities, will just have to be more careful.
Oxford was trialling various options such as street side chargers, Lamp post chargers and pavement covered gutters to allow cables to be run in a few years ago. I've no idea what came of them.

Two at our Sainsbury are near the click&collect doors, were so under-utilised that they've been temporarily(?) reassigned as c&c bays.

Our Tesco has 4 pod point bays. I can drive there, do my shopping whilst charging, drive home and arrive back with more charge than when I left :)

For anyone worried about battery degredation on a 7 year old EV, 5% degredation with 78k km on the clock.

Actually still have more range, and charges as quick as brand new EVs onsale now. Shows how little progress in EVs there has been.

For anyone worried about battery degredation on a 7 year old EV, 5% degredation with 78k km on the clock.

Actually still have more range, and charges as quick as brand new EVs onsale now. Shows how little progress in EVs there has been.

And there you have it.....48000 miles on the clock in 7 years. One could almost call it pampered. Or is it the case that due to the poor range and time taken to recharge it just doesn't get used for any decent long trips? Most ICE vehicles in the uk would have done 70,000 by this time.

Not only that, but what is the cost of that model of Tesla? Certainly not in the reach of a good majority of folk in the uk. Seems a case of pay more to drive less. Whichever way it is spun, the battery technology just isn't up to the job of replacing petrol and diesel in the year 2020. I seriously doubt it will be much better come 2030.

Or is it the case that due to the poor range and time taken to recharge it just doesn't get used for any decent long trips?

How long it takes to do 800km in Europe in an EV versus a combustion car.

Over 220k, this owner did need a battery replacement at 140k, but admits he didn't treat the original battery pack well. He was charging to 100% every day and using lots of rapid charging, two worst things you can do for a battery.

Here is my own car, currently sat at 37k in just over 3 years of ownership. Pampered its not, its our main family wagon which I throw literally anything and everything in without a second thought.

I did so many miles in at after 2 years - 32k, I felt genuinely bad about adding to congestion/driving too much at the start of this year I made the decision to use a pedal bike more. Yes I was driving TOO MUCH in our EV, I had to come up with a way not to drive it. This wasn't because I'm worried about longevity (the battery + motor has a 8 year unlimited miles warranty), but so I could have a clean conscience.

We are planning to keep our EV at least 8 years, but hopefully much longer than that. The longest I kept a combustion car before was 4 years.

50544421398_1e6792c704_c_d.jpg

40497322723_920e4ed6c7_c_d.jpg

Here is my own car, currently sat at 37k in just over 3 years of ownership. Pampered its not, its our main family wagon which I throw literally anything and everything in without a second thought.

I did so many miles in at after 2 years - 32k, I felt genuinely bad about adding to congestion/driving too much at the start of this year I made the decision to use a pedal bike more. Yes I was driving TOO MUCH in our EV, I had to come up with a way not to drive it. This wasn't because I'm worried about longevity (the battery + motor has a 8 year unlimited miles warranty), but so I could have a clean conscience.

We are planning to keep our EV at least 8 years, but hopefully much longer than that. The longest I kept a combustion car before was 4 years.

50544421398_1e6792c704_c_d.jpg

40497322723_920e4ed6c7_c_d.jpg
I can see you like your EV. And why wouldn't you? It is clearly one of the most expensive luxury models out there. I've seen a few and they are quite impressive. However it isn't a model that many in the uk could afford. I wonder how keen you would be with something more affordable like a Nissan leaf?

I think my main issue is the actual technology is moving so very fast. 2030, and probably way before, you will have solid state batteries with a lot better thermal management, higher capacity and less weight for the same size package and will charge a lot faster. Your very dream of having a 600 mile plus car with 15 to 20 minutes charging IS a reality. The Chinese motor industries with all the new start ups are leaving the fossil fuel motors behind big time. The Germans are going to have to up the anti now, as they are so behind.

I think my main issue is the actual technology is moving so very fast. 2030, and probably way before, you will have solid state batteries with a lot better thermal management, higher capacity and less weight for the same size package and will charge a lot faster. Your very dream of having a 600 mile plus car with 15 to 20 minutes charging IS a reality. The Chinese motor industries with all the new start ups are leaving the fossil fuel motors behind big time. The Germans are going to have to up the anti now, as they are so behind.
I truly hope you're right on that. Don't get me wrong, I am fully for the situation you have described. I just do not believe it will happen in the next nine years.

How long it takes to do 800km in Europe in an EV versus a combustion car.

Would you mind giving a summary of the result as I don't have time to watch?

Also, why did they choose a thirsty 911 rather than any mid range family car which is what the Tesla 3 is supposed to be?

I wonder how keen you would be with something more affordable like a Nissan leaf?

Actually had a Leaf for 23 months, handed it back early because I had hit the contract millage limit and the Tesla was coming :).

As a family car it was actually much more sensible than the Tesla, infact the total cost of ownership for 2 years was cheaper than the 6 seats/white leather option on the Tesla!!!

It also didn't break down, and I took it from Leicester to Cardiff, and down to London a few times dispite having a motorway range of 60-70 miles.

If we couldn't afford the Tesla I would happily go back to a Leaf, especially now the real range is similar/more than our Tesla. I would certainly take a Leaf over any combustion car, infact the combustion car I swapped the Leaf for was a N54 powered 335i, essentially the same engine as in the current M3/4. I would rather have a new Leaf than a BMW M3.

26477924151_3ec989d570_c_d.jpg

14941646521_2ab439400e_c_d.jpg

Love the contrasting backgrounds of the two cars :D

@jjgreenwood
I'd certainly agree with your observation on the plethora of different schemes and suppliers out there for away-from-home charging and some rationalisation/simplification would help hugely. I mean, for example: if Tesco/Volkswagen want to offer free 7kW points at Tesco stores, why on earth do we need to download and install an app to get more than 15 minutes of free use? If it's paid - then, yes there needs to be a method - contactless payment card. But freebies?

In terms of "selling" the concept, in my experience (simply as something of an "evangelist" - not as a salesperson) it seems to depend on how you answer the two main inevitable questions. Using my car as the basis for these answers:

Q1: How far will it go?
A1: Just shy of 200 miles
A1 alternative: It will go for about 3 hours without a stop at motorway speeds; about 6 hours on other roads/mixed driving. And it's probably wise if not necessary - I'd certainly want to - to take a break after three solid hours on the road.

Q2: How long does it take to charge?
A2: At least an hour from close to empty to close to full. depending on the charger.
A2 alternative: Practically no time at all, if you do so while you are doing something else, like working, shopping, sleeping, watching TV, or simply taking an R&R break (coffee, snack, lunch, toilet) on a longer trip. And of course it saves you the time it takes to keep going to a fuel station to fill up at other times.

In terms of available infrastructure - I'd suggest it only needs to keep ahead of demand. There is little cause, right now, to install millions of points. And at least at the moment, I think that is happening; at least hereabouts. Since I began EV driving in 2017 locally (within 9 miles of my home) we have acquired, new (off the top of my head)
3 InstaVolt rapids at a nearby Starbucks
2 Polar rapids at other locations
4 points at Tesco in the next town
6 points in a car park in the same town
4 points in Tesco in the adjacent village
1 rapid at a Morrisons
1 rapid at another Morrisons
1 rapid at yet another Morrisons
Increase from 3 to 57 points at the shopping mall
and so on.

Last edited:

Tesla are shifting to cobalt free batteries, not that it will stop children in other countries being used for labour.

There will always be injustice around the world....this shouldn't be used to bash EV's.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom