Ice Age Blu-ray Review & Comments

Tech News

Reaction score
Reviewed by Andrew Mogford
Ice Age is a perfectly pitched modern classic of animation and is worthy of a place in anyone’s collection. The animation is absolutely top notch, and the story (although hackneyed) is beautifully handled by the animators, voice talent, and directors.
The quality of the film is matched by top notch AV presentation with a fantastic picture and a superb DTS Lossless audio track. Sadly though, a lot of the extras that appear on the SD releases are missing in action here.
So, does Ice Age merit a place in your collection? I would say absolutely. Yes, a more features packed edition is likely to appear a few years down the line, but it is hard to imagine they will improve the AV quality we have here. This is a film that will amuse the whole family – and for that reason it is highly recommended.
Read the full review...

7/10

yet apart from the (almost never used extras) it got 9`s ?

the irony is that its one of the areas i did explore on the SD DVD release.

perhaps its age and technology has ruled it down but a classic film doesnt wear with time. i would of said having watched it many times that a 8/10 was deserved.

7 is just a bit err.. stindgy

nice acurate review apart from that i would say :)

Thanks for the comments Sinelanguage!

A little explanation in order here as to why I marked it how I did.

The film, and AV presentation are top notch and deserve 9s across the board.

However, the overall mark is for the disc as a whole, taking the whole package into consideration. There is a very disturbing trend on Blu ray to actually present less material that are on SD releases - despite the increased capacity of the disc.

I believe (and this is a personal view not endorsed by this website) that this is a deliberate policy to make owners eventually double dip. This is not something that was a problem in the early days of DVD as only the minority who had bought into Laserdisc were aware of what they were sometimes missing (Jaws, and The Frighteners being notable examples)

If extras aren't important to you, then you will discount the 5 given to extras, see the 9 across the board for the rest of the disc and purchase.

However, I have to mark across the whole disc which is why the 5 out of ten mark for extras dragged the overall mark down a bit.

Even if I didn't write for this website, I would still think that this marking system is the best one I have seen. It really does allow you to focus on what is important to you on the disc and make an informed purchase.

I don't think anyone will be disappointed with this in terms of film and AV quality.

Thanks again for reading and commenting. It is always good to get feedback.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom