• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

ICE AGE 2 BD V's SD (with Screenshots.)

mcdermotx

Yeah,
looked at IceAge2 the other night..........PQ is far superior on the right setup than an upscaled CG animation DVD.......that goes for Corpse Bride on HD-DVD as well as Blu-ray..

Looks great! Although I would think that fur is the contributing factor to the improved picture quality.. whereas some films like Cars with shiny objects will show far less improvement. If you just look at the shark in the screenshots, it doesn't change much, but the squirrel does.

gandley

well the shark looks much better i think, it takes on a different look (almost looks plastic) and becomes dimensional.

Wait and see i think.

this was on the PS3 and pioneer 720p plasma if peeps didnt see that.

well the shark looks much better i think, it takes on a different look (almost looks plastic)

Ok..I agree on second look.

Bald Monkey

Distinguished Member
I'm impressed with the BR version. :D

I didn't expect it to look that much better in HD than SD. Would like to see some more varied shots though just out of interest.

Looks great! Although I would think that fur is the contributing factor to the improved picture quality.. whereas some films like Cars with shiny objects will show far less improvement. If you just look at the shark in the screenshots, it doesn't change much, but the squirrel does.

Lol! I just realised that I was looking at the pictures half way down where the same pictures were posted with different file sizes. No wonder I couldn't see much difference with the shark at first.

mcdermotx

Hated the film, even though I like the first.....but there is no disputing the PQ of it.
Very impressive release for Blu-ray (MPEG2 Shock Horror!), and it also carries a DTS-MA track, which we'll all hopefully be able to listen to in the future with new players/firmware upgrades.
As I mentioned in the AVS thread, there is a oh so little sign of banding in a couple of scenes when the sky is visible ( near the start of the film if memory serves ), its no big deal and I think it may be source related rather than a transfer issue, but I can't be certain. The increased clarity, colour and depth is there to be seen in nearly every scene and its a real let down, when you switch to a DVD CG release right after watching it.
There is the tiniest element of grain added to some textures to give it a more film look, you can't actually notice it in those screen-grabs, but it doesn't detract from the the overall PQ at all anyway.
Word is is that "The Wild" is an even more impressive looking disc than IceAge2, but I can't verify that as I haven't picked it up.
Bodes well for the future of both Blu-ray and HD-DVD if this is the level we can expect..

supermackem

Wow ill be picking this one up if i get any more xmas monies:D im a huge fan of cg movies and loved this film and the first. It looks fantastic and will be added to my collection very soon.

diggler46

would of been nice to see how it compared to the xbox hd dvd player too....

Also, different settings on sharpness o nthe tv can have a dramatic effect...I dropped the sharpeness on me sammy 40" last night and sd looks so much better now....

mattym

Banned
would of been nice to see how it compared to the xbox hd dvd player too....

Also, different settings on sharpness o nthe tv can have a dramatic effect...I dropped the sharpeness on me sammy 40" last night and sd looks so much better now....
dont think you will see iceageII on hddvd for a little while..

are out the box settings on these things way over the top? Some of the displays in stores do look over the top in brightness and contrast sometimes

StooMonster

Isn't it on Sky HD this xmas?

StooMonster

diggler46

spose it depends on what you like, but changing the settings does help a lot.....

Ive always thought plasmas look a lot better with sd feeds, but after changing the sharpness right down I dont think there's much in it. You have to do it to your own taste. The missus thinks it looks better with loads of brightness and contrast but I prefer a bit less vibrant piccy....

StooMonster

You have to do it to your own taste.
Do it to calibrated levels (e.g. ISF) because there is no accounting for taste; and there are proper industry levels for contrast (white level) and brightness (black level).

StooMonster

mattym

Banned
sky hd and burn to hddvd that way.....if you can..or store on HDD

mcdermotx

Only thing is, if the SkyHD showing of IA2 is anything like the Robots one a few weeks back, you'll be missing out on a lot compared to this BD release.
Most of the SkyHD Movies have been poor compared to the equivalant HD releases, and I suspect IA2 will suffer the same fate. One showing of Riddick a while back was actually excellent (probably the best I've seen on SkyHD, next to Sith), but it still didn't compare to the HD-DVD version.

gandley

No offense to the MOD team, but what a dumb place to stick this thread??

After the crap that gets left unedited in the hidef area, and this very cival for a change thread i appluad thee on this decision......NOT:rolleyes: .

ELV

I think the fur looks more furry on the SD version, i'm in no doubt that the vast majority of films will look beter on HD but that looks worse imo.The teeth and eyes etc look better but it reminds me of coputer game were anti analising is added to make the game more life like. I still want one though!

V5-APS

Saw this running at the Panasonic shop yesterday on their 65" plasma display at 1080p.....Looked absolutely fantastic.....Very sharp and easily looked better than the 50" display running an upscaled 720p SD version.

Greg Hook

Moderator & Reviewer
No offense to the MOD team, but what a dumb place to stick this thread??

After the crap that gets left unedited in the hidef area, and this very cival for a change thread i appluad thee on this decision......NOT:rolleyes: .

Got out of the wrong side of bed did we? :rotfl:

This thread is discussing the Ice Age 2 DVD and movie. What is wrong with it being placed in the Movies forum?

gandley

Got out of the wrong side of bed did we? :rotfl:

This thread is discussing the Ice Age 2 DVD and movie. What is wrong with it being placed in the Movies forum?

yeah yeah, im at your mercy:D

Just would of been better in the hidef area, as thats it point of focus.

anyhow no big deal and i bow before thee:)

The latest video from AVForums

Hisense U7H TV and T+A Solitaire T headphone reviews, AV/HiFi news plus, what is screen uniformity?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Full fat HDMI teeshirts

Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom