1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

ICE Advice

Discussion in 'ICE, Sat Navs & Dash Cams Forum' started by RPetto85, Sep 16, 2004.

1. RPetto85

RPetto85
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Ok. Im looking to add a Sub/amp to my current system which is:

Head Unit - Pioneer DEH-P8400MP 4x50W MP3 Player
    Front - Pioneer TS-1785 170W 17cm Components
    Rear - Infinity Perfect 6.1 400W 17cm Components

This is fitted in a Peugeot 306 and sounds really good but lacks any real base.

All speakers are currently powered by the head unit so neither set is performing to their maximum.

Im looking to add an Amp to power the rear speakers and a Sub but realy know nothing about either. Do i need a 4-channel amp to power both the rear speakers and an amp?

I was looking at the Infinity Perfect 12VQ Sub (is this worth the money?) but have no idea about who make good amps.

Finally my local ICE dealer want £70-100 to fit an amp and a sub - is it worth paying a professional or is it an easy enough job ? ive fitted all my other speakers myself and have a good grasp of electronics.

All help/advice gratefully received...

2. Alun1

Alun1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    (1) Swop the perfect 6.1 speakers from the rear to the front as these are much better quality speakers, use the pioneer speakers in the rear.

(2) Yes then I would amp up the Infinity Perfect 6.1 Speakers, which would give you a much better quality of sound and be louder. Leave the rear speakers running off the DEPH84MP

(3) The infinity perfect 12VQ is a good sub, however needs a good amp to drive it. I would recommend the RockfordT8002 which is 125W x 4 therefore when you bridge the rear two channels it will not only drive the fronts, but will drive the sub perfectly.

(4) With the ICE equipment that you have I would recommend professional installation.

Alun

3. RPetto85

RPetto85
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I cant swap the 6.1's into the front because the enclosure is just way too small. Had the enclosure been bigger id have put them in the front in the first place or even brought a second pair instead of the pioneers, which happened to be one of the few half reasonable speakers i could get that would fit the front.

Ill take a look at that amp, i asked in one of my local ice distributors and they recomended alpine amps and said anything around 300W would be enough but needed to be 2-channel.

4. RPetto85

RPetto85
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    just had a look and that amp is out of my price range.

I can get the sub for around £150 and would be looking to pay a similar amount for an amp.

what about the:
    INFINITY RA 6006
    4x50W + 2x75W AMPLIFIER 6/5/4/3 CHANNELS

?

5. bazzason

bazzason

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    enclosure? aren't you fitting the fronts in the doors? they should just screw straight in...

6. RPetto85

RPetto85
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    i mean the moulding in the door cards. Its just too shallow for the Perfect 6.1's, hence i had to fit speakers with smaller magnets (the pioneers)

So..

With:
    Head Unit - Pioneer DEH-P8400MP 4x50W MP3 Player
    Front - Pioneer TS-1785 170W 17cm Components
    Rear - Infinity Perfect 6.1 400W 17cm Components

What combo of an amp/sub would you all recomend ? Price range for the lot is around £300-400 (at most)

Leaning towards the Infinity Perfect 12" VQ Sub but dont realy have a clue about the amp. That Sub would leave me upto £200 for an amp.

7. bazzason

bazzason

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    if you want to be a bit different from the rest of the pack, have a look at this combination:

Digital Designs Sub
    Crystal Amp

these are two very well respected brands that deliver great performance. they are also not your run of the mill products that you see in everybody elses installs. it comes in under your maximum budget and with the right enclosure will deliver a serious amount of bottom end for your system. the amp can be bridged to deliver 220wRMS bridged for the sub and leaves the other two channels for your front speakers. :smashin: