1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

ibuyit.biz scam

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by Moosh, May 3, 2005.

1. Moosh

Moosh

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +470
    Hi all

I don't know if there is a specific place to post such info but general chat seemed to be the most obvious.

Anyway, I have just received my cc bill this morning and saw a charge of 151.00 EUR going to a company called ibuyit.biz. After having a look through their website, my receipts and trying to contact on the phone (I withheld my number first) I searched for them on the internet and saw the following two sites:

http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.html?t=48223
    http://www.cableforum.co.uk/board/showthread.php?t=23883&page=23&pp=15

Needless to say I contacted my bank and told them about it and they confirmed that this is a scam and are sending me a "dispute form" and have invalidated my card.

This seems to be linked with Sterling House (a place we bought a couple of bikes from last year) - they have had their card security compromised. So if any of you have bought anything from Sterling House then just check your statements carefully.

Ta

Moosh

2. mason

mason

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +131
    Luckily enough I have never bought anyhing from Sterling but good heads up thread all the same :smashin:

Pain in the backside though eh? I would imagine that if your credit card company knew of the scam then they will refund you the money then and there etc.

It just shows you though- how many of us get our cc bills in dont look at them in detail? I know I am guilty of this.

3. Astaroth

Astaroth

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +95
    They want a signed form to cover their arse before they a) refund you b) attempt to recover the monies from the company.

It also acts as a good cooling off period mechanism. There are a lot of people who phone up saying they dont know what XXX is on their bill and want to dispute it but when they sit back and think about it they then realise what it is. I had a charge from Woolworths on my statement which I phoned and queried as I hadnt been to woolworths but then found out that BigW was woolworths (probably should have realised but I didnt know)

4. Moosh

Moosh

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +470
    Just been reading the threads on the other sites and Sterling House seem to be in the clear even though it is coincidence that many people were stung after buying bikes from them). It looks as if this is a problem with the merchant clearing houses themselves e.g. HSBC and from what the people on the other forums are saying, the banks know about this but aren't really doing much to stop it! :(

5. dolph

dolph

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +26
    I've been hit by this (I'm andrew99) on the cableforum thread. So far my CC company have been very good.

As mentioned - in no way do I believe that Sterling House are responsible for this, although it is obvious that their customers accounts have been leaked in some way, and not necessarily by them.

For the time being I haven't cancelled my card - but am considering it.