1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

IBM Thinkpad problems..

Discussion in 'PC Gaming & Rigs' started by Rad, Apr 13, 2004.

1. Rad

Rad

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    Hello folks,

I flashed my thinkpad 570E bios last week and now it won't power up at all, it appeared to have finished and reset, it had shut itself down, so I waited a few minutes and then fired it up but I get nothing.

Does anyone have any ideas what I can do?, is there a hard reset I can do or anything at all?

Cheers,
    Richard.

PS. I work in IT so you can be as tecki as you like.

2. Rad

Rad

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    Mods, can you move this to general - I might have more chance of some input.

3. Ethics Gradient

Ethics Gradient
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +432
    bad news - unless your laptops motherboard supports dual bios - ie haveing a back up bios and some do ( which is probably not likely ), you have fried your system.
    You need an operational bios to be able to access the system at all - with out it the only fix is to replace the bios chip.
    You may be lucky and find the bios chip is a plug in packaged chip - if so you can try and source a new one and replace it .... but its more likely to be solderd. The most likely option is a motherboard swap out - if you don't have a warranty on it then this may be costly.
    If it does have a warranty of some sort - don't let on that you flashed it - just say it stopped working and let them fix it.
    Sorry I could not be any more help

4. Rad

Rad

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    I'm starting to think that myself, I removed everything from the machine and booted it and it's still not coming up with anything.

Good job it's a works machine.

Thanks though.