Dismiss Notice
Attention AVForums app / Tapatalk users
Sadly GDPR means that, from 25th, we can no longer offer access to AVForums via the branded app or Tapatalk.
Click here for more information.

IBM Thinkpad problems..

Discussion in 'PC Gaming & Rigs' started by Rad, Apr 13, 2004.

1. Rad

Rad

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    Hello folks,

I flashed my thinkpad 570E bios last week and now it won't power up at all, it appeared to have finished and reset, it had shut itself down, so I waited a few minutes and then fired it up but I get nothing.

Does anyone have any ideas what I can do?, is there a hard reset I can do or anything at all?

Cheers,
    Richard.

PS. I work in IT so you can be as tecki as you like.

2. Rad

Rad

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    Mods, can you move this to general - I might have more chance of some input.

3. Ethics Gradient

Ethics Gradient
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +430
    bad news - unless your laptops motherboard supports dual bios - ie haveing a back up bios and some do ( which is probably not likely ), you have fried your system.
    You need an operational bios to be able to access the system at all - with out it the only fix is to replace the bios chip.
    You may be lucky and find the bios chip is a plug in packaged chip - if so you can try and source a new one and replace it .... but its more likely to be solderd. The most likely option is a motherboard swap out - if you don't have a warranty on it then this may be costly.
    If it does have a warranty of some sort - don't let on that you flashed it - just say it stopped working and let them fix it.
    Sorry I could not be any more help

4. Rad

Rad

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    I'm starting to think that myself, I removed everything from the machine and booted it and it's still not coming up with anything.

Good job it's a works machine.

Thanks though.