IBM Lenovo X40 dock CD/DVD drive problem.

Samorlg

Prominent Member
Reaction score
Does anyone know how I can get the CD/DVD drive in the docking station to be recognized by the X40, it will accept a disc and spin it up but the actual laptop can't see the drive as it won't show up in "my computer" but is shown in "device manager" but with a cross through it, does anyone have an idea on how to fix this, a driver issue maybe? thanks, Andy.

If you right-click it in device manager does it give you the option to enable it?

It should just work. When I drop my X61s into it's docking station it takes about 6seconds and the drive pops up in My Computer.

As Mugsy said, have a look in the device manager. If it doesn't give you the option to enable it, remove it and restart Windows. With a bit of luck it will re-detect it and simply start to work normally.

If all fails, put a bootable CD/DVD (ie: Windows install disk or a copy of Ultimate Boot CD) in the drive and see if you can start the computer from it. If that doesn't work either you may have a faulty dock/optical drive.

OK, managed to swap out the CD/DVD drive for another and it went through all the usual found new hardware stuff and then said there was a problem installing it and now back to square one, anyone any ideas on this? thanks, Andy.

Did you try booting off a Windows DVD/Ultimate BootCD?

It won't recognise the drive so there's no point even trying I would of thought, if this gives you a clue, Windows own media player won't even start, comes with a message saying it's not installed properly, I have tried to reinstall it but it won't have it, does it need to detect all necessary hardware in order to install properly or is there some other thing at work here?

You need to determine if this is a hardware fault (the docking station is broken) or a software issue (something isn't right in Windows).
By trying to boot of a CD/DVD with it's own operating system on it your are bypassing Windows as the possible cause of the problem.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom