• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

IAMM NTR-83 with a mac?

super8simon

Standard Member
Hi. I have been lurking and reading for a while looking for the drive/media player that best suits my needs. I think I have settled on the IAMM NTR-83 due mostly to it's recording capabilities, but I am a little confused as to it's compatibility with a mac. I am using a MacBook Pro.
Is anybody out there using this combo, or able to offer any advice?

In an ideal world I am looking for a drive that I can connect to wirelessly that I can use for storage that will also connect to my tv to play all my stored media files - DVD's downloads etc, will play youtube and BBC Iplayer etc, but also has the connectivity so I can back up a lot of old work that I have on VHS tape. Oh, and of course work with a mac.
If any body is able to suggest a nice all in one solution that I may have missed please let me know.
Thanks in advance
Simon

next010

Distinguished Member
Well looking at the specifications it says it supports Samba (SMB) which OSX supports so you'd be able to copy to and from it to your Macbook. Most media players supports SMB amd would be vital if using the device as storage.

However... this review here says there was no SMB support in their review unit and only FTP was working which would work on your Mac too if you use an FTP client to transfer everything but thats little clunky.

Trying to find a firmware update on the makers site is perplexing as the interface is in korean.

BBC iPlayer support you can generally forget about (unless running some transcoder DLNA server on your computer), some devices support a custom Youtube front end.

If you drop the recording capabilities there are plenty of network enabled media streamers out there. You might want to check out the Mede8er (website) it takes and internal HD and can copy to/from it through SMB, no recording functions or BBC iPlayer support.

The best way to get native iPlayer and Youtube support is through XBMC or Boxee (XBMC = DIY for hackers) (Boxee for beginners), Boxee have a player coming out eventually that will also run XBMC eventually. In the interim XBMC/Boxee can be installed on computers or AppleTV's and used from there.

Last edited:

super8simon

Standard Member
Thanks for all the info, very helpful. The recording facility is a must, much more important than the youtube, Iplayer capabilities, I can always hook up the macbook to the tv and use boxee if I need too. As long as I will be able to swap files between the mac and the player without too much trouble I should be OK.
Thanks again.
Simon

super8simon

Standard Member
Hi, so I got the NTR83 and have uploaded the latest firmware that states it supports SAMBA and NFS, but I can't for the life of me figure how to get it talking with my mac. The NTR83 is seeing my wireless router, so is my mac. I am just unsure how to get the NTR83 to see media on my computer, and how to get the NTR83 to show up on the mac to transfer files. Some guidance (in laymans terms) would really be appreciated. Thanks...

next010

Distinguished Member
Find out the IP address of the NTR83 it should be listed somewhere in its settings menu.

Also make sure that if the NTR83 has a samba server that it is running, never used this player so cant point you in the right direction here (if theres a PDF manual upload it somewhere cant find any online). Create a folder on the unit if it has a built in file manager & see if you can share it.

Once you know the IP address if you follow these instructions it should map the folders on the NTR83 to your OSX desktop. You can ignore anything specific thats for synology NAS units but the guide is pretty straightforward and your connecting to the same thing a SMB IP address.

Basically go to connect to server and type in smb://192.168.1.20 or whatever the IP of the NTR83 is.

This guide on Apples website will show you how to share out folders on your Mac over SMB in OSX.

Try selecting share with everyone, protocol smb and make sure wins network workgroup is set to workgroup

I'm afraid networking on OSX is not very user friendly if trying to connect to something other than an Apple device.

Last edited:

super8simon

Standard Member
Thanks again. I think samba and nfs capabilities have only become available recently via firmware updates so the printed documentation and it's pdf version are pretty useless for that. I'm sure I will get there with the guides that you have directed me to, I just needed a few pointers in the right direction. Cheers.

arbee22

Standard Member
Hi super8simon,

I have the same combo, a MAC and the NTR83, now with the latest firmware I'm having some problems, before with the 1.50 it all worked flawlessly.
On the mac in Finder choose 'connect to server' -> type smb://192.168.x.x and a popup tells you what to mount and asks for usern/passw which is guest/0000, and the NTR83 hdd shows up as a networkdrive. It does not go fast, in my case around 2MB/s. What I always do is connect via FTP later on and remove all the ._ files as the MAC filesystem always has this invisible files in its folders.
A cool thing is that you can also telnet to the ntr83 via terminal, user root, no pw, the you can see it is running on busybox and you have a few linuxcommands you can issue. DF will give you the status of the drives, the hdd is mounted as /tmp/usbresources/sda1 or something and you can go there by typing cd /tmp/usbresources/sda1, this way you can also browse the hdd via telnet.
the command FREE will give you the memory usage.

Do you have some experience with the latest firmware? I sometimes stumble on the fact that it looks like the SMB daemon is not started nor is the FTP daemon, where in version 1.50 there were no problems at all.
I did send an e-mail to IAMM but don't know if that will help. For now I will try to flash again with 1.54 and if it is still the same, will downgrade to 1.50. The cool thing with 1.54 is the torrentclient, works nice, remember to format the harddisk with the latest firmware as it will create a swapfile of 256 MB necessary for the torrentclient to run.

greetings,

The latest video from AVForums

Guardians of the Galaxy Xmas Special, Strange World, Bones and All, and Cabinet of Dr Caligari in 4K
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom