1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Iam thinking of taking the Plunge & going for the LG RZ32LZ55!

Discussion in 'LCD & LED LCD TVs' started by A Legal Beagle, Oct 24, 2005.

1. A Legal Beagle

A Legal Beagle

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +144
    After months of searching aimlessly and looking on the forums and putting on a few posts on this excellent website :thumbsup:

i think iam going to take the plunge by purchasing an LG RZ32LZ55 £999 from richersounds. possibly on wednesday :eek: (credit card job :nono: )

As i have previously mentioned on other posts iam slightly put off by the samsung issue(s) Despite the fantastic reviews on here and £699 +VAT at Makro. It really looks good for gaming.

My use will be for gaming or tv via telewest in my bedroom (still live at home :) ).

My line of thought (and limited knowledge) is that the review for the LG RZ32LZ50 in HCC gives it 3/5 & not a bad review its only bad points were no HD compatability. The LZ55 does have all this!

In addition richersounds(who i trust, unlike others. No names! ;) )tell me that they have had no complaints of the LZ50 and the LZ55 has the same screen the only diff is that its HD ready unlike the LZ50 and has component ( for xbox 360 :smashin: ). I was also told by the salesman that they have never considered selling samsung TV's!The LG seems to have an impressive contrast ratio 1200:1, brightness 600 cd/m2( according to LG website) which is better than the sammy i think.

It has a DVI-I HDCP but no HDMI or VGA socket though.

As it appears there is no views and/or reviews for the LZ55 as yet! I thought id let every one on here know how I get on. Richersounds offer a 14 day no quibble return policy anyway! IF i dont change my mind or someone persuades me on here otherwise and i buy the sammy LOL!

Watch this space! :)

2. philotech

philotech

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Why don't you go for the LX or the LP series? Both include HDMI sockets as well as DVI integrated with VGA. You should be able to get the LX for the same price while the LP is a little more expensive because of its design.

Philotech

3. A Legal Beagle

A Legal Beagle

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +144
    Hi philotech

Cheers for the info. My head is now spinning :confused: :confused: :suicide:

Ill keep on looking.....

Thanks again

4. Moogrose

Moogrose
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Yup, the RZ32LZ55! is nice and all, the 32LX2R is Hd Ready, HDMI and all the rest of it... much better set and still not particularly expensive...

5. A Legal Beagle

A Legal Beagle

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +144
    Hi moogrose

Thanks for all ur help and input.

U People seemed swayed by the other LG. :thumbsup:

Do u know where i can find any reviews on it?

I have checked it out on pricerunner and like u say it looks the part.

Its now defo one or the other but I dont really VGA as my pc is at the other end of the house! :) and The DVI-I can be adapted to HDMI am i rite?

With the RZ being a new screen and all that....... OH Bo****ks I dont know which one! lol

Thanks again for ur help
    :)

6. seanyseansean

seanyseansean
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    AFAIK the RZ32LZ50 is HD compatible, the review got it wrong. Not that I care as i'm driving it from a HTPC/Mythtv server combo though.

7. po_man

po_man

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +64
    I would also consider a Toshiba 32WLT58 @ £1079.00 (Welwyn Branch John Lewis + 5yr Guarantee)
    Received 5 stars and a "Best Buy" tag in this months What Hi-Fi mag and also includes 2 x HDMI inputs (no other 32 incher has the connectivity that the Tosh offers).

8. mighty_mo

mighty_mo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    the LG RZ32 is a FANTASTIC set.

PC input through a DVI gives AMAZING picture quality.

Yes!! it IS HD ready, don't know who told you it wasn't.

DVI and HDMI are essentially the same connection but one suppports audio+video while the other supports picture only and you have to route your audio through another channel (not a problem at all if you use external speakers or a HT system).

9. seanyseansean

seanyseansean
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    But HDMI is encrypted too, apparently to 'protect the public from themselves' :rolleyes:

What are your thooughts on this set? I love mine now, having got the mythtv box outputting and deinterlacing properly, but off-air analogue looks awful. Are there firmware updates available at all?

10. Gavinio

Gavinio

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The RZ32LZ55 is now £799 in Comet - should I go for it?

11. Stu.B

Stu.B
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Probably a bit late for you now but I went for it.

I've been looking for ages and was going to go for the Samsung 32" on play that's £799.

I have a friend who bought the LG 37" and he was impressed with it. I then saw it in action at Curry's with a dvd on and thought the quality was superb.

It's got 8ms refresh rate and 1200:1 contrast ratio so similar if not better than the Samsung I thought.

I went with Richer Sounds in the end as they did it for the same price. I went there because they do a three year panel protection for 10% of the price of the unit, half the price of the deal Curry's were offering.

I'm all new to this but very impressed with the LG so far.

Getting Sky+ installed soon. At the moment it's just running off of the analogue aerial but the picture is still fine.

Works very well with my Xbox too.

Stu

12. coley65

coley65

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    you will be disappointed. go for the aldi one it is a better set and when you get fed up with it you can taje it bacvk

13. mighty_mo

mighty_mo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0

hello,

yeah i thought i read somewhere about it being hdcp complaint. Then reading elsewhere that it wasn't?! If it is then this means that the new Sky HD boxes etc would need a HDMI to DVI converter or something of the sort? Well, if it isn't compliant then will that mean that the new boxes from NTL, Telewest etc won't work either?? I hope this isn't true.

I'm not asking of it to work with everything and give fantastic results every single time, but as long as it does what i want, and at a decent quality and reliability, then i'm fine. So far I'm very pleased with the PC connection and a few HD trailers. PC games are great as is surfing etc, very bright scren.

havnt looked at any firmware upgrades etc..

14. coley65

coley65

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    800 pounds and you dont want it to work. take advice pal go for the aldi one.

15. mighty_mo

mighty_mo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    aldi? what's that? never heard of it so that cancels it out. I'm happy with the choice i made mate, if anything doesn't work for whatever reason I have 5 yr insurance. So relax.

16. paulyoung666

paulyoung666
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,044
    bought one of these on friday , very impressed :smashin: , i am even more impressed now because i had forgot to switch the sky box form pal to rgb , that little move has made a good tv look a hundred times better :clap: :thumbsup: :clap:

17. LeViat

LeViat

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Just hooked up Sky HD to LG-RZ32LZ55. The TV has no HDMI socket. First I tried a component connection, with gold plated leads. The picture and sound were shocking! So I took back the leads and got my €100 back too. Then I bought a HDMI to DVI convertor and a component audio to Minijack lead. Hooked the video up through the DVI socket and the sound to the PC audio in socket. Total cost €25.00.

The picture is excellent and the sound is as good as I can expect from the TV speakers. Next I'll invest in a surround sound system.