1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

IAG, We do NOT enjoy the silence...

Discussion in 'TAG McLaren Audio Owners' Forum' started by ThomasBelgium, Aug 2, 2004.

1. ThomasBelgium

ThomasBelgium

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Since IAG required TAG, all we heard from the company is nothing but silence. Oh yes, they have a nice website (a joke if you compare this to the previous, truely excellent TAG website...) and yes, they still service TAG equipment and speakers. The servicing part is a good thing, but is that, and moving some boxes, all that IAG will do with this great brand?

TAG had a unique position for being very communicative and for introducing one great update and/or product after another. If you take away these elements, then the TAG equipment is still great today, but what about tomorrow?

Isn't it about time that IAG shows some respect to the TAG consumers and start to talk openly about what they have in mind with the brand?

2. Ed Selley

Ed Selley
    AVF Reviewer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,147
    They have use of the Tag name for a couple more months- which isn't exactly encouraging them to make more use of it really.

If anything happens from now on, I imagine it will have Audiolab on the front and new products don't appear overnight.

3. Matt Horne

Matt Horne

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +118
    Give them a chance.. handing over companies is not a 5 minute affair. I received my first tag last week.. and I have been exchanging a few emails with the helpdesk.. they have been great getting back to me..

I doubt IAG would of bothered buying the brand/technology if all they were going to do was run it into the ground ?

Matt

4. Matt Horne

Matt Horne

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +118
    So do you reckon that if you have your av32 etc upgraded in six months time you would get audiolab front panel rather than a Tag one ? (not that I would be bothered either way :) )

Matt

5. ThomasBelgium

ThomasBelgium

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    To me, it isn't really important whether there is an Audiolab or a TAG McLaren label on the frontpanel (althought I'd rather chose for the TAG label, if I had the choice). It is also quiete logical that they haven't released any new products since the takeover.

What I mean is that there used to be very much life in the TAG brand, because of the forum on their website and because they released many updates (software and hardware) and new products. TAG was a very exciting brand that made very exciting products. In comparison to that lively situation, the brand seems dead today. Tell me if I'm wrong, but I think that IAG is the one to blame for this.

6. mlinhares

mlinhares
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Repairs are "dead". I delivered my DVD32R for repair in the local importer almost two and a half months ago and I'm still waiting for it. Helpdesk only says that they are relocating… I bought it almost a year now and it only worked correctly for 4 or 5 months.

I also really think that they should have said what they plan for the future.

7. jbm007

jbm007

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Just hope you don't have repair problems if you are in the US.

I have been told all repairs have to go back to AIG. We are talking months not weeks for repairs.

Sorry; but I agree "silence is not good." This is a huge monolith company. Things move verrrrrrrrrrrrrry slowly; Everybody has to cover their butts first before anything happens.

TAG was purchased for the audiolab name. I don't think us TAG owners have much to cheer about. I just hope my equipment doesn't break down. Great product; but lousy long term investment. Sad but true.

Before the flames come: Prove me wrong AIG.......................

8. mlinhares

mlinhares
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I'm in Europe :suicide:

9. edward

edward

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +26
    Maybe one of those clever folk at IAG can explain here the wisdom of buying the world's top AV processor and then doing nothing with it. Where is the benefit in waiting for competitors to overtake?

I find it hard not to be resentful when I don't know what is going on that makes sense of all this. Whose door do we have to knock on?

10. Plump

Plump
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Cm'on everybody, they are not nuts.
    They will do it soon or a later. Show some patience. IAG normally first make it all finnished (or almost finnished) and then makes announcement. There is nothing worse than people hearing about forthcoming product and then not buying current models and bugging you with questions. If you can't wait try to find way around to find out what's getting prepared, because according to my infos it will take more time than you might expect.

The only problem are repairs, obviously blocked for some time. But knowing that Mark and Barry are there still gives some confidence.

Of course nothing is as it was but ask yourself what was outcome of old times!

11. Ed Selley

Ed Selley
    AVF Reviewer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,147
    TAG is dead today and indeed henceforth. IAG simply aren't ever going to use a name they have to give back. IAG instead have the shell of a company that made excellent AV gear and the rights to a brand name of considerable reputation. In time (at least 12 months) the two will probably combine to new product. How much that product will have anything sizable to do with the end line TMA gear is a matter of debate given how fast things move in AV.

12. jbm007

jbm007

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    For a guy who spent $ 20,000.00 US dollars on a AV192 just 5 months ago.
    "ME"

That thought just gave me a warm fuzzy feeling all over.

Excuse me while I maintain my poor opinion for awhile. Having been lied to by TAG once; I don't see any thing's good coming out of this: For people who invested in TAG equipment: good product, lousy investment.

AIG has alot to prove, and they better get started soon.

13. Ed Selley

Ed Selley
    AVF Reviewer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,147
    I feel for you as regards your purchase but otherwise I don't agree. IAG only have a servicing commitment (under law) to TMA owners, otherwise they have every right to move on. You are now in the same boat as Audio Innovations, Rogers, Nakamichi and Alchemist owners- fine products one and all but now ones maintained only by individuals. All these companies are owned by other companies and nominally still exist but the owners of Audio Innovations S500's aren't holding their breath for a replacement 15 years down the line.

At least IAG will do something with their purchase- the company that bought Rogers makes hoovers.

14. ThomasBelgium

ThomasBelgium

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I totally agree.

In the mean time, brands like Meridian and Lexicon are taking the pole position that TAG used to have...

15. roversd1

roversd1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Guys

It took TAG McLaren over 2 years to develop the DVD32R and Audiolab 6 years to develop the 8000T tuner.

Thomasbelgium: You cant expect IAG to produce new products within six months of ownership.

The 'exciting' brand of TAG McLaren Audio brought out highly complex products that could only be repaired at the factory, wherever you were in the world.

mlinhares: Repair and upgrade times are the same now as they were 3 years ago - 20 working days not including any shipping times. The service department cannot be held responsible if a distributor decides to consolidate their shipments

Plus:

As anyone who contacted the Helpdesk over the last 8 weeks was told; the service centre had to relocate at short notice - this had nothing to do with the take over.

It was this constant sniping that closed the original TMA forums and its beginning to :censored: me off here.

I've bitten my tongue over so many mis informed posts on various forums. There is a hardcore constantly taking a dig at what was TMA.

You were spoilt when TMA existed, there was absolutely no other company like it. Certainly no one who could acheive what they did in such a short time.

I politely ask that you are all a bit more patient and give IAG time to take stock of their investment and the Helpdesk is there should you have any problems.

16. Matt Horne

Matt Horne

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +118
    Have to say.. I have been in email correspondence with the helpdesk over the last few days.. and they have been really helpful..and dead quick in getting back to me.. Can;t ask for more than that :)

Matt

17. alexs2

alexs2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,674
    Roversd1...well said.

I also was a user of the original TAG forum,and the sniping etc was one of the reasons that I found and stayed with the AVForums.

I do think that giving the new owners a bit of breathing space would be useful,and I say that as both a TAG and Quad owner,who has received prompt and helpful service even during the changeover.

18. RGOB

RGOB
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I am a staunch supporter of Tag but when IAG took them over, wouldnt you expect them to announce their 'vision' for the new company, regular updates on the website oh what they plan to do, and why they bought the compnay. Surely you dont buy and company and say nothing, and expect everyone to wait. You want to generate interest and demand in new customers - tempt them with ideas and how the new company will be run.

To be honest Im just looking for a cheap DVD32r to go with the amps and processor, and cant expect much else to happen.

19. Kenny Glasgow

Kenny Glasgow

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +225
    Well said rover! :thumbsup: Give IAG a chance and a bit of leeway. WeTAG owners were spoilt by the service that we received from Udo, John, Barry et al. Udo helped me out on Boxing Day a few years ago.

We still have state of the art equipment and there is no way (in my opinion) that IAG would invest so much in buying the rights to the names and products if they weren't going to do something with them.

20. edward

edward

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +26
    Permit me a view on some recent comments here...

Firstly, it was not the sniping that closed the original TMA forum - that was IAG. Those who hung around until the anonymity went out of having a say in the TMA fora, saw it. It was a very different business once that was sorted out – the ratio of owners to “shining wits” might have accounted for it.

Something the TMA forum did was empower product owners – we had a say and knew TMA was listening. It was this flow of ideas that allowed TMA to have features like TMREQ ahead of the others at the top end of the pack. People like Udo and John and Steve et al worked their tripe out to keep up that development pace. Can we really be blamed for feeling a little upset at seeing this sort if lead squandered?

Some of us take a pride in having the best HC processor available. IAG’s apparent neglect will not help it maintain that position – or perhaps someone else here can show me the error in this line of reasoning.

Secondly, I don’t think people are taking that many shots at TMA – its IAG that is now getting it. You’re absolutely right, we were spoilt rotten by TMA- and that is what makes it so much harder to feel good about investment with a company that doesn’t even tell us what it is doing. OK, I got useful responses when I emailed Mark (good old TMA help desk) but I would have thought an active Director of Communications or a Marketing Director for IAG could have ensured everyone knew what was happening with such prestigious products. I’ve seen nothing in Home Cinema mags or web sites yet.

Thirdly, does it really matter that Tag McLaren can’t always be repaired by the local TV repair man? I don’t think owners of Tag McLaren cars expect a complete service from the local corner garage either. Mind you, I think it is reasonable these days to expect a level of reliability and service to match the product price tag – and a working month is pushing the curve somewhat. How long does it take to swap a board/module and give it a decent test run?

Fourthly, you berate ThomasBelgium for his impatience over new product development. They bought the rights to the best AV processors in the world!! Why do we need to be patient while they do even more product development?? Under the circumstances, I would have thought a concerted Sales and Marketing push would have delivered a much quicker ROI than more R & D. (OK, it might not have helped that they didn’t keep the manufacturing line).

I feel more uninformed than misinformed – and that is partly why I’m here.

21. jbm007

jbm007

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I was lied to by TAG not AIG.

This is not sniping. This is cold hard reality. I had an order in house that I put on hold till I received FULL assurance from TAG that this product would be supported by TAG. That it would upgradable by TAG. That TAG would be there in the future. I HAD NOTHING TO WORRY ABOUT; I WAS TOLD. I should have gotten it in writing.

If I knew then what I know now; I would not have spent 20k on a Av192.

Is it good; yes. And better things will come along. AIG can do what ever they want. Its their company now. If AIG decides to follow thru with full support for the AV192 ; along with some form of upgrades even under some other name . Fine. My issues are with TAG. If AIG wants me as a future customer; they have issues they have to overcome.

TAG already has......................

All I can say is if you are a current TAG owner you have a great product.

I will remind you of this a year from now when nobody is interested in TAG gear anymore.

22. alexs2

alexs2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,674
    Frankly,in answer to your last points,I agree the TAG products were and remain very good.
    As to the latter,I really have no concern as to whether or not anyone else is interested in TAG products.....all I've ever been concerned with is the sound quality in the price range I am in at the time,hence my buying and keeping a set of quite old Class A Krells,for their sound quality,and not dealer network/support.

Unfortunately,even if you had got it in writing,it would be of little use,as the current owners would have no obligation to honour that,and this is a situation any company can find itself in,when market circumstances and profitability change.
    I may have long term concerns about the direction of TAG/IAG as regards my AV32R,but it certainly won't stop me using or enjoying it.

23. Plump

Plump
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    We were all strongly lied to from few people by TAG (with and without intention - but that only shows how todays business is). But this still does not mean that IAG will do it too. So let's wait and see what IAG makes

At least Helpdesk guys (and few others too) were always fair.....

24. @Home

@Home

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +79
    I have recently purchased a Tag AV32 Dual Processor and while searching for one I liased with IAG/Tag Helpdesk via Mark on many occasions and the response was faultless.

All the questions I asked were answered in full, he even found me where my nearest Tag stockiest was. You can no longer buy direct from Tag, which is a disappointment but there you go. It was delivered to the store within 5 Days, and is now in my home proving its self to be a very good purchase.

As far as IAG being very quite, surely it early days and they may need to get themselves sorted out. After all when Tag started airing it’s dirty washing, it didn’t do it’s self any favours. We all need our privacy @ times and they are no different.

Anyhow I for one must give Tag a big :smashin: for making a fantastic product even better. I hope they continue to trade as either Tag or Audiolab for as long as possible.

Did I tell you how good the AV32 ‘Dual Processor' is……………………..

25. Matt Horne

Matt Horne

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +118
    don't tempt me ... only just got a SP :)

26. Teejoo

Teejoo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Ok……,

At the moment the helpdesk and service is the same as we were used to have with Tag. :thumbsup:

The fact that we don’t hear any (upgrade) news from IAG, is in my opinion no reason to conclude that they stopped with development. It takes time to set up an organisation and to develop new products. Tag gear is also quite complex, thus I can imagine the new IAG engineers need to “get into it” before they even can start further development. So give them some time before they announce this HDMI audio input on the AV32RDP ;) .

We were indeed spoiled by Tag (Helpdesk, Udo, Steve, John :clap: ) with their support. But if you look at this forum, we still have people like Roversd1 who give this support. The fact that the old Tag crew is also here on this forum is a nice bonus, and all this knowledge combined makes this forum as interesting as the old forum!

I do agree that IAG could update their website with some news or something, since they should know that their TAG costumers are used to visiting a more dynamic website and getting lot’s of news or info on several subjects which was always very nice to read.

So I hope someone from IAG can get such a thing going, since this would give a nice impulse for the Tag community.

27. edward

edward

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +26
    Actually, the Tag Mclaren Audio web site does get updated – the news section contains an extract from a recent (Mar-04) review where the AV192R was given what is probably the greatest accolade in the global Home Cinema market.

<i>”The AV192R is one of only four Surround Processors which received SGHT's highest quality status, AAAA, which is given to highly recommended components only. And, TAG McLaren Audio would like to add, the AV192R easily provides many more features than the other three contenders...”</i>

It seems also to be a reliable instance of a communiqué from the dead. Hell! This is great news, for TAG owners and all those over 50, so come on IAG – a little more high-profile publicity, please. Even the KGB and CIA give out more information on what they’re up to than you do!.

28. Teejoo

Teejoo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Oops :blush: Missed that one.

:laugh:

29. ThomasBelgium

ThomasBelgium

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    No, it is a reason to say their PR is lousy...

Funny to say it that way :laugh: , but this is exactly what my complaint is all about...

30. mlinhares

mlinhares
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Hi Rovers, you can be right in many things but regarding my DVD32R repair you are not as you can see from this reply from the helpdesk:

«Our service centre has recently been relocated and becuase of this we were advising distributors and retailers not to send any service items back for a number of weeks.

Your unit is with xxxxxx, waiting to be returned to us for repair, it was never snet to us as we had requested it not to. So, we apologise for any inconvenience caused. Once the service centre is up and running, we will make sure (…).»

I received this e-mail on the 20th of last month…
    Next 15tm August it will be 3 months…

Guys I feel very optimistic… I foresee many news in a near future…