i9-10900 build - suggestions wanted

silva741

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi guys,

I've been managing to extend the life of my PC to 13 years, it's been a fantastic machine, but yesterday I started having warnings of the hard drive failing, with Windows advising me every few minutes to turn the computer off and saving everything, before replacing the hard drive. It's time to make the big upgrade I've been delaying, I think. I'd appreciate your suggestions. I plan to use this PC as a multipurpose machine, be it to browse, watch movies, and sometimes also to make 3-D renders using Vray.

CPU

My first big doubt is regarding the CPU. I need a powerful CPU because I like to render 3-D stuff, and the more powerful the computer, the better. In particular, as many cores as possible. These past few years I've been reading a lot about AMD, but with the CPU shortages it seems I'm out of luck. Also, the shop where I'll buy the components (from a friend of mine) only has Intel CPUs. So I'm pretty much stuck with Intel. From reading several reviews today I think the Core i9-10900 seems okay, despite consuming a lot, but maybe the 65W version is acceptable.

CPU cooler

I have no idea what's the ideal for this CPU (if going with Intel).

RAM

I need 32GB

Motherboard

I'm also completely lost about which motherboard to buy. I don't plan to overclock the CPU, and my biggest requirement is that the system is reliable, stable, and quiet.

GPU

I'll keep the same graphics cards (ASUS 6670), and perhaps in 1 or 2 years upgrade to something more powerful. I don't play games, so I don't need much horsepower.

HDD

I'll buy the WD BLUE 6TB, hoping it's relatively quiet.

SSD

I want a reliable SSD for the OS and my main software. Around 500GB should be enough. It doesn't need to be extra fast, I'm more focused on reliability and price.

Case

I'll keep my ANTEC 182. If not, I'll get the Fractal Design R6.

Power supply

Maybe the Corsair RM650x?

I'd appreciate very much all your comments and suggestions. In particular with motherboard, RAM, and SSD.

I would still look to get a 5900x or 5950x over any of intels offerings currently, it’s just a better all round chip (cooler, draws less power and more instructions per clock) you have waited 13 years would a couple more months not make more sense for a better chip that will last longer

Chuck in a beefier power supply around the 850w range to give room for something like a 3090 etc down the line when stuff becomes normal.

For storage look at at least having drives in raid mirrored as that way if you have a failure you have time to source a replacement.

For cpu sort of things I'd look at benchmarks of what actual apps you do use but for productivity I'd say 16 core 32 thread will be good and slap in as much ram as possible.

But you sound like the ideal candidate for a threadripper system.

Are you using the GPU version of vray ?

Chuck in a beefier power supply around the 850w range to give room for something like a 3090 etc down the line when stuff becomes normal.

For storage look at at least having drives in raid mirrored as that way if you have a failure you have time to source a replacement.

For cpu sort of things I'd look at benchmarks of what actual apps you do use but for productivity I'd say 16 core 32 thread will be good and slap in as much ram as possible.

But you sound like the ideal candidate for a threadripper system.
Disagree with you on a couple of points. No need for anything more than the RM650 he's considering, and no point considering RAID unless you want very large storage, very fast storage or both. A system SSD with A WD Blue storage device is fine.

Of course you should always back your data up, but that kinda goes without saying.

Last edited:
Thanks for your posts guys. I didn't get any replies here, but after a lot of research I ordered this configuration last week...

MSI GeForce RTX 3060 Gaming X 12G
AMD Ryzen 9 3900X 4.6Ghz AM4 64MB
Kingston DDR4 32GB 3200MHZ HyperX Fury Black
Samsung SSD 512GB SATA 3 Serie 860 PRO Basic R560 / W530Mb/s
Corsair RM650X 650W 80 PLUS Gold Full Modular ATX
WD HDD 6TB Blue 3.5" 64mb SATA 6gbb/s
Mother Board Asus TUF GAMING B550-plus
Noctua 14S
Antec P101 Slent

I'd prefer the 5900X or 5950X but it was literally impossible to find one here. And buying a graphics card was also quite an adventure. As I wrote on my first post I was considering keeping my current GPU, but there was a significant risk of not being fully compatible with Windows 10 and Vray. At the moment I'm not using the GPU version of Vray, but with this graphics card I can start to use it.

I should receive the PC in the coming week. It isn't ideal, but it should be more than enough for me for quite a few years.

Indeed, finding a graphics card these days is like finding Bigfoot's lair with the holy grail on the coffee table beside a good review of Alien Covenant.

Good luck with the build though.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom