• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

I7 2600k

glen24

Standard Member
Hey every1 I currently have an i7 920do @ 3.7ghz, 12gb ddr3 and use my machine mainly for gaming / recording ingame footage and re encoding them, would it be a suitable upgrade to go for the i7 2600k, Asus p67 pro, 8gb ram and 120gb ocz vertex 3 ssd costing me £608.

Thanks in advance

Sent from my iPhone using AVForums

Sniper Ash6

Distinguished Member
IMO you're probably best off skipping Sandy Bridge and waiting for Ivy Bridge.

namuk

Distinguished Member
you will only gain a better overclock speed over the i7 and not worth the upgrade, the Real replacement for i7 is socket LGA2011 at the end of the year, basicly look at the i7 Sandybridge as the i5 before i7 came out later on.

if you had a socket 775 then i would say yes as it is a worthy upgrade.

save your money and wait for 2011 socket. :)

shadowboxer

Yeah would completely agree, it'll be a total waste of money to upgrade from your current system. Wait for LGA2011 or Bulldozer to see how they perform.

In the meantime, no reason why you cant get the SSD as the Vertex 3 is backward compatible with SATA II (assuming you current mobo doesn't have SATA III).

Why not push you i7 a bit further and aim for 4GHz+ - not going to make much real life difference in performance but will keep you occupied.

RyanMartin1993

IMO you're probably best off skipping Sandy Bridge and waiting for Ivy Bridge.
then by the time he gets round to asking if he should buy that you will tell him to wait for the next one :p
I think you should go for it. Processors are constantly changing don't wait around for anything, unless its literally 1-3months away which ivybridge isn't. If ivybridge turns out to good then you can sell your old stuff and go for that. As far as with the sandybridge goes i think the difference between the i7 2600k and the i5 2500k is very minimal. I would say go for the 2500k and save the extra £80 or so and put that towards a nice beast of a CPU cooler.

Sniper Ash6

Distinguished Member
then by the time he gets round to asking if he should buy that you will tell him to wait for the next one :p
I think you should go for it. Processors are constantly changing don't wait around for anything, unless its literally 1-3months away which ivybridge isn't. If ivybridge turns out to good then you can sell your old stuff and go for that. As far as with the sandybridge goes i think the difference between the i7 2600k and the i5 2500k is very minimal. I would say go for the 2500k and save the extra £80 or so and put that towards a nice beast of a CPU cooler.
:laugh: Wanna bet?

There's not enough of a difference between the 2500k and an OCed 920 to warrant the price, hence me saying it's worth waiting until Ivy Bridge.

namuk

Distinguished Member

but the true Successor to i7 is ivi bridge Lga2011 socket, going sandybridge from I7 is a pointless exercise and a waist of money.

shadowboxer

:laugh: Wanna bet?

There's not enough of a difference between the 2500k and an OCed 920 to warrant the price, hence me saying it's worth waiting until Ivy Bridge.

+1 Completely agree!

glen24

Standard Member
true, i decided not to go with sandybridge and instead went for the ocz vertex 3 120gb ssd and here are my results on a sata 2 port.

Attachments

• ATTO.PNG
    ATTO.PNG
    64.2 KB · Views: 54

shadowboxer

Great choice! Very good read speeds there, will be even better when you get a SATAIII system later!

The latest video from AVForums

Fidelity in Motion's David Mackenzie talks about his work on disc encoding & the future of Blu-ray
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom