i5 laptop choice (Dell, IBM, etc.)

arachnoid

Established Member
Reaction score
Need a new laptop mainly for office use (usually on a desktop with external monitors). I'm replacing an old Thinkpad T420 - love the keyboard but its too heavy on the road.

Considering options such as the Thinkpad T480/T480S and Dell 7400 Latitude Carbon which are available around £1000. ThinkPad X1 Carbon would be nice but not convinced I really need the better screen and performance. Anyway, except for the earlier generations its beyond my budget).

Usage is mainly general 'office', along with video playback, software compilation, number crunching, and charting, . Good battery life matters. Must have a matte screen. Quiet operation (i.e. no noisy fans) is important. I'm thinking an i5 with one of the recent chipsets is enough. I've used a Dell Latitude before. It's OK but don't love the keyboard. That said, at the desktop I can use my Logitech Bluetooth keyboard.

Any experiences with any of the above/suggestions/alternatives?

I've got and XPS 15 9530 and it's been an excellent lappy, as is the keyboard and Dell's support.

I've got and XPS 15 9530 and it's been an excellent lappy, as is the keyboard and Dell's support.

Thanks but that is a consumer grade laptop with glossy screen and seems to be i7.

Edit, the laptops above are 14" screen and that is the size I need, thanks.

Thanks but that is a consumer grade laptop with glossy screen and seems to be i7.

Yes I realise that and was just saying that i have no complaints with Dell products, in fact I've had a few over the years with no real issues to complain about.

I can't help with the question, but the Thinkpad brand has now been owned and run by Lenovo for longer than it was by IBM (1992-2005 vs. 2005-2019).

And of course Lenovo make good laptops. In everything we buy, you get good, you get bad and it's all down to the luck of the draw. Either way would be a good choice.

I wouldn't be so dismissive, to be honest. I'd rather have an XPS than a Lattitude any day. A 13" XPS is nice, lighter. You've already got a desktop monitor. Better to travel with.

But for your use don't discount a Microsoft Surface Pro. Even more portable, perfect for what you do, and just plug it in at the office.

I wouldn't be so dismissive, to be honest. I'd rather have an XPS than a Lattitude any day. A 13" XPS is nice, lighter. You've already got a desktop monitor. Better to travel with.

But for your use don't discount a Microsoft Surface Pro. Even more portable, perfect for what you do, and just plug it in at the office.
Thanks, but I am ruling it out. I don't want a glossy screen and I do want a 14" screen because that is the minimum size that is workable when I'm traveling and using the laptop without a large monitor. Neither of those laptops meet the requirements.

Thanks, but I am ruling it out. I don't want a glossy screen and I do want a 14" screen because that is the minimum size that is workable when I'm traveling and using the laptop without a large monitor. Neither of those laptops meet the requirements.
14" doesn't say anything about the actual resolution...So other than size to fit in a bag it is a pretty useless comparison as a minimum size that is workable. Just saying ...

14" doesn't say anything about the actual resolution...So other than size to fit in a bag it is a pretty useless comparison as a minimum size that is workable. Just saying ...
Thanks again. I've already stated a requirement for a 14" laptop which is why I'm looking at the above. I don't want to get into further discussion so let's just say its a user preference.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom