i5-2320 v i7-2600 (stock) for video editing

Joe Pineapples

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Been trying to find some real world video editing/rendering benchmarks between the two, to see if its really worth the extra for the 2600, for someone I know buying an off the shelf tower. I know there are some editing programs that now favour a better GPU, but I think his is still more CPU dependant. (pinnacle studio 15 HD).

Anyone come across any?

thanks
joe

Video editing generally makes good use of extra cores & threads - the i7-2600 is a 4core/8thread CPU and so should eat its way through file compression/conversion a lot better than the 4core/4thread i5-2320 CPU. I doubt having double the threads will halve the times, but it should still be a noticable improvement IMO.

Mark.

Posted the same question elsewhere and someone posted this link

AnandTech - Bench - CPU

As a rough idea, I think for his home/hobby level, I dont think its going to be worth the extra £130 or so (from the off-the-shelf products), and besides the money saved, the i5 system I have in mind will come with quite a bit better gfx card too.

Video editing generally makes good use of extra cores & threads - the i7-2600 is a 4core/8thread CPU and so should eat its way through file compression/conversion a lot better than the 4core/4thread i5-2320 CPU. I doubt having double the threads will halve the times, but it should still be a noticable improvement IMO.

Mark.
HT boosts performance by no more than 40% compared to the same CPU without HT.

Joe, it sounds as though he'll be better off going for the i5. An overclocked bundle with a 2500K would be a good middle ground though.

Joe, it sounds as though he'll be better off going for the i5. An overclocked bundle with a 2500K would be a good middle ground though.
I'd agree Sniper, but tbh I've looked for him with the view of no hassle for me if things go wrong with it - let him have a counter to bang on at one of the places we love to hate. If it was for me, I'd be building it myself.

I'd agree Sniper, but tbh I've looked for him with the view of no hassle for me if things go wrong with it - let him have a counter to bang on at one of the places we love to hate. If it was for me, I'd be building it myself.
You can get pre-builts with overclocked CPUs or you could go for a motherboard bundle to give you some room to pick what's needed.

I would think that for video editing/ rendering you would be better off concentrating a bigger chunk of dough on the i/o subsystem eg get two fast SSD (one input, one output) rather than going for a better processor. HT, AFAIK, is likely to only give you a 15% uplift, if that. CCLonline and ARIA do pre-overclocked mobo/cpu/ram bundles.

I would think that for video editing/ rendering you would be better off concentrating a bigger chunk of dough on the i/o subsystem eg get two fast SSD (one input, one output) rather than going for a better processor. HT, AFAIK, is likely to only give you a 15% uplift, if that. CCLonline and ARIA do pre-overclocked mobo/cpu/ram bundles.
It had to be an off-the-shelf system tbh, and a local shelf at that (his preference). Anyway, decided on advising him to get the i7 2600. He wont be upgrading for a very long time (if his last pc is any indication), so for the extra £120, its likely to serve him for longer.

cheers
joe

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom