i3 Graphics Vs. 5570 Vs. GT 430

robimitchell

Standard Member
Hello all,

I need some advice please. I have an HTPC which I originally intended to be used mainly for playing music and films but now have an XBOX controller adapter so would like to play a few games. I've been using the onboard graphics currently on my i3 530 via HDMI to my TV at 1080 but when i tried Tomb Raider: Underworld on it the whole thing just played out in VERY slow motion on the lowest settings I could pick! I'm not after anything fantastic, just the ability to at least play some more modern games in real time.

Due to restrainsts with my case and PSU I'm looking at the 5570 and GT430 but I can't find anywhere any information as to how great a gain it'll be to use one of these over the graphics on the i3. Can anyone help?! Is this a worthwhile upgrade or just a waste of money?

For a little further info I've got an In-Win BP-655 case which has a single low profile slot available and a 200W TFX power supply. I'm currently running the motherboard, CPU, stock cooler, 5400 RPM 1TB Hard Drive, 5.25" DVD rewriter, 1 2GB stick of RAM and a single 80mm case fan off the power supply; will I have enough juice to run one of these cards without upgrading the PSU?

Any and all answers/comments/questions/abuse welcome as I just can't seem to find the answers anywhere!

Cheers, Rob.

EndlessWaves

Distinguished Member
What does the label on the side say about what power it can provide on the +12v line? If the PSU is decent it may be sufficient, although it's somewhat marginal.

And yes, a 5570/GT 430 is at least three times the speed of the Intel HD graphics and will happily play any game you throw at it.

robimitchell

Standard Member
Fantastic! Thanks for your answer, I don't know about the PSU, I'll need to take a look tonight when I get back from work but at least now I know it's a worthwhile upgrade.

Cheers, Rob.

robimitchell

Standard Member
Okay, I've had the chance to check the label on the PSU and under +12V it says 14.6A. Is that sufficient for my needs? I was thinking I'd most likely go for the Asus Low Profile 5570 (and adjust the bracket to suit my needs) as featured here: ASUSTeK Computer Inc.

Thanks again, Rob.

EndlessWaves

Distinguished Member
Okay, I've had the chance to check the label on the PSU and under +12V it says 14.6A. Is that sufficient for my needs? I was thinking I'd most likely go for the Asus Low Profile 5570 (and adjust the bracket to suit my needs) as featured here: ASUSTeK Computer Inc.

Thanks again, Rob.
It's borderline, it'll probably work but how stable it'd be or how long it'd continue to work (power supply output drops over time) I don't know.

The 5570/GT 430 uses less than 50W and there do seem to be some 250W TFX format power supply available for £30 so that would be a surer option.

That 5570 is only a DDR3 version. Ideally you want the GDDR5 version for gaming if you can find it in a low profile version. Also, the low profile bracket takes up two slots which will render the slot next to the graphics card unusable.

robimitchell

Standard Member
Right, ok. Thanks again for your help. I'm now in two minds as to what to do! I've seen a 300W 80Plus TFX power supply by 'Be Quiet!' available for £50 to upgrade my current system and the card will probably cost around £70. If I go that route I will not be able to use the power supply in another case taking a standard ATX if I decide to upgrade in the future.

So, I've been looking at the Silverstone GD04/05 which would take everything I have now with ease and allow for further expansion. That'd cost me around £80. I could then buy a quality ATX power supply (more choice) and not be restricted to low profile cards. More initial cost just to play a few games but greater room for expansion and I would imagine better for ventilation.

Decisions, decisions!

Trending threads

Top Bottom