I would use a country-specific forum for...

I would use a country-specific forum for...

• United States

Votes: 114 32.8%
  • Canada

Votes: 13 3.7%
  • Australia

Votes: 36 10.3%
  • Netherlands

Votes: 32 9.2%
  • Germany

Votes: 20 5.7%
  • Sweden

Votes: 17 4.9%
  • France

Votes: 12 3.4%
  • Italy

Votes: 20 5.7%
  • Spain

Votes: 25 7.2%

• Total voters

Haggler

I agree with what you are saying but at the end of the day its business and revenue. If opening it up in other countries can help promote the AVForums name then I think its a good thing for Stuarts business.
Fair enough, it's solely the posting in native tongues (other than english) i was objecting to.

dwhite

My point is if you have say a Spanish forum for example, but limit it to English only, what have you gained? An extra forum, expats and English speaking Spaniards will visit, likely asking questions that could easily just be answered by the current site. Plus if your Spanish speaking and see a Spanish forum, isn't it going to be strange that you have to post in English.

KhalJimbo

Distinguished Member
My point is if you have say a Spanish forum for example, but limit it to English only, what have you gained? An extra forum, expats and English speaking Spaniards will visit, likely asking questions that could easily just be answered by the current site. Plus if your Spanish speaking and see a Spanish forum, isn't it going to be strange that you have to post in English.
Would they not be native to Spanish though, I mean why would a spanish site need to be written in English. Same with a French site why would they post in english, surely because its french they will post in french, just get some french mods to moderate it.

Or have I misread your post?

Stuart Wright

AVForums Founder
Staff member
Ok, I think we run this forum pretty well, and I think that would give us an advantage over other rival forums. The UK is a small market, and is particularly worse off in the current climate, and will be for several years while we pay off this vast debt the government has got us into.

Expanding to specifically serve people from other countries is a logical next step which I am tentatively exploring.
Take Tom's Hardware, for example (see attachment).
Our servers could easily cope with more forums, we have the expertise and a good search engine ranking.

However, there are already AV forums in most (if not all) of the countries on the list, so if we start up a forum specifically for people from those countries, we will start small and respond quickly to requests/the need for expansion.

It seems sensible to concentrate on English speaking countries first since I don't speak any other languages fluently.
If we recruit foreign speaking administrators whom I can trust, then we could well cater for more countries.

None of this would affect the existing forum since 70% of our visitors are UK based and the majority of discussion is UK oriented.

We are always exploring ways of doing things better to strengthen our market position and expand our market.

Attachments

dwhite

Would they not be native to Spanish though, I mean why would a spanish site need to be written in English. Same with a French site why would they post in english, surely because its french they will post in french, just get some french mods to moderate it.

Or have I misread your post?
I think you misread my post, because thats exactly what I'm trying to say. People will want to post in their native tongue within their own forum. Perhaps where we are mmisunderstanding is, that I would expect the 'foriegn' forums to be still part of this forum but just subforums, I think from your post you think it will be avforums.de, avforums.it avforums.fr etc.

I'm not actually sure now what stuarts intention is.